Confirmed: Roberto Martinez Sacked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly no he couldn't mate, remove the 'positivity overload' he has and your left with basically nothing

That is too harsh; there were times in that first season where he set us up pragmatically and in a way that worked - the problem was that he (seemingly deliberately) did not do that in either of the next two seasons.

Mate of mine (Ryan, Spurs) just linked me to this, that he sent in to Football365:

This was sent before the Martinez latest…
First off, I am not an Everton fan, but I work with a massive, born and bred one (hi Tom!). This has led to me being aware of their season more than most other teams, and even as an outsider I am finding the current situation very annoying.

Everton’s current team contains a young, proven 20+ goals a season striker, one of the highest rated young defenders in England, one of the highest rated young midfielders in England and a decent smattering of others. Each one has been dragged down by the manager. It’s now impossible to tell if Stones is actually that good (his “ball playing” seems to now just be making mistakes) or if Barkley has the potential once thought. Lukaku has just slipped into understandable apathy and frustration. For that squad to have the second worst points tally this year (only ahead of Villa, who barely count) is just abysmal. This is the manager’s fault. The extra frustrating thing is that once these guys go, they won’t be replaced. Everton aren’t getting another Lukaku any time soon (there are so few strikers who guarantee that level of goals) so they are wasting a potential golden period.

If they had sacked him before the FA Cup semi final, they might have got some kind of caretaker manager bounce (appoint a popular member of staff perhaps) and hope that took them to the final and through the derby. Instead they missed their best chance of a trophy for ages (which may not come round again for years), and put in an absolute embarrassment of a derby performance. That was a resignation note of a performance (as was last night’s), but still nothing.

Add to all this, Martinez still seems to think he’s doing a great job (as pointed out by your great collection of his statements). This doesn’t exactly hint at a big change in fortunes coming up. If he stays, it’s a relegation fight for Everton next year.

The suspicion (which I always held as fact) that Martinez just utilised the Moyes drilled defence, and would be found out as soon as they grew too old, has been proven true. By not acting the board have allowed what could have been a fairly nice farewell (“thanks for your hard work, time for a change”) into fan mutiny, players downing tools (see Robles’ effort for that free kick last night) and protests at the end of season dinner. It’s a mess. He’s got to go right now.
Ryan (Spurs)

http://www.football365.com/news/mails-the-united-transfer-window-predictor

It's a fair enough summary I think.

5853207_zps8a1d66a5.gif~c200

did post before YESSS going to get of my tits
all the best tho bobby, now i actually feel like a tit
just watched his last interview when he got asked
he looked gutted, feel for the man ah.. but the end
of the day its the best for both goodluck bobby.

A decent fella who I was really rooting for to get it right. Unfortunately our points tally over the last two seasons was not good enough.
The players need to take a long look at themselves too.
A lot of our fans thought this about Martinez especially during and up to the end of his 1st season. Me included for a time. But, as you say, the results over the last 2 years haven't been good enough and since December this season they've been really poor. Those fans rooting for him, gradually then rapidly reduced. Inevitable conclusion. Nice fella (or not as some seem to think) but he had to go.

Thought I'd feel bad for him. But nah. He's had 3 years, been given plenty of money, and now a fat pay-off. Not once was he honest with us. All we wanted really. Thanks for the first season- otherwise, adios Roberto.
Thats the big thing. Had he been honest even ONCE with us fans over the last 2 years I think a lot more would be more forgiving. The constant deflection of blame is what put almost everyone off.

Status
Not open for further replies.