Comparison. Or Progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chicoazul

Poster Valuation: #1
Just looking at the league tables between this and last season and noticed a couple of things.

1) The goals on Saturday took us to 36 goals for the season, two more than we scored in the duration of last season with 10 games left.

2) We have a goal difference of +11. Could prove useful if it comes down to the crunch for Europe. And better than the -15 we found ourselves on at the end of last season. And better than the season before where we found ourselves on -1 qualifying for the Champions League.

3) We have drew more games this season, with 10 games left, than we did in the duration of the previous seasons.

Stats, if you havent guessed already, is not my thing so I'll leave it to the more nerdy of yous to draw conclusions.

But we are making progress. Johnson has something to do with that, and so does Moyes and Kenwright for persuading him to come here.

If we get twatted next week by Sheff Utd then I want them out of course though.

Lost my way now so Im going to do one.

Just looking at the league tables between this and last season and noticed a couple of things.

1) The goals on Saturday took us to 36 goals for the season, two more than we scored in the duration of last season with 10 games left.

2) We have a goal difference of +11. Could prove useful if it comes down to the crunch for Europe. And better than the -15 we found ourselves on at the end of last season. And better than the season before where we found ourselves on -1 qualifying for the Champions League.

3) We have drew more games this season, with 10 games left, than we did in the duration of the previous seasons.

Stats, if you havent guessed already, is not my thing so I'll leave it to the more nerdy of yous to draw conclusions.

But we are making progress. Johnson has something to do with that, and so does Moyes and Kenwright for persuading him to come here.

If we get twatted next week by Sheff Utd then I want them out of course though.

Lost my way now so Im going to do one.

The goals difference is not down to a change in football technique just a change in personel, AJ has created that uplift. If we'd have had a half decent partner for him then the difference would have been even better. Don't forget last term was our poorest goals tally in history.

The goals difference has improved as well because of Joelon, now that is a sign of progress, onward and upward although it might get bumpy from time to time much to the annoyance of the nob headslol ;) ;) ;)

Last edited:
Whatever anyone says we are making progress- just have a look at the bench from saturday: Hibbert, Wright, Ossie, Vaughn and Anichebe- now apart from Wright that is a quality bench. Add to that Stubbs, VDM and Turner and we really are getting somewhere.

Progress definitely who would have thought when Moyes took over that wed have James Beatie, Andy VDM, and Richard Wright sitting on the bench regularly. I know these players havnt shown their best for the club but we would all have gladly settled for that when Moyes took over or simply found it unbeleivable at the time. Lets face it theres not many of us that wouldnt have signed these palyers based on what they showed and their reputations before they signed for us. Perhaps thats what frustrates us so much about them is that we know they can be quality players.

The thing that really impresses me of our progress is the average age of the squad compared to when Moyes took over and i said in a revious thread taking into account incioming and outgoings Moyes has spent 15 million. Remarkable when you consider a squad that includes:

AJ
Arteta
Cahill
Yobo
Lescott
Howard
Neville

I am futher encouraged if all reports are to be beleived of the up and coming players the likes of the Kissocks, Rodwells, Spencers who will hopefully be pushing for the team in the same way the Rooneys, Ossies, Vaghan and Anichbe's have. If this group make the grade it coulld really bolster what what is becoming a truly impressive squad. A point i feel that has gone unnoticed is that we are not in the market for the work man like/stop gap players anymore like the Bents and Kilbanes to tide us over for a season or two. It seems all funds are directed at quality rather than quantity now (Not enough in some peoples eyes but evidant true enough) . The empahsis is now on progress and development rather than making sure we secure our place in the leauge which i have to admit has been the empahsis of the club for the first three of Moyes five year stint. In which possibly detrimentaly to our expectaion levels at times we punched above our weight for two of those three seasons.

I wouldnt swap this squad for the one that qualified for the champions leauge!

Last edited:
Smashing posting that Neiler, I wonder what the BK and DM bashers would make of it, the truth hurts. I wouldn't swap this squad for any we've had in the last 15 years, and if you consuder that it contains BT, VDM and Wrongy it shows how strong the rest of the squad have been.;) ;)

As Moyes said today, throughout the Premier League we've only been in the top 10 3 times in 14 seasons, and 2 of those were under Moyes. Rome wasn't built in a day but we're getting there.

Status
Not open for further replies.