CLYDE BEST WONDER GOAL

Status
Not open for further replies.

alan ball

Player Valuation: £70m
A friend of mine from West Ham is asking for recollections of what is believe to be the best West Ham goal scored at Goodison. It was 50 years ago to this day November 25th as the Hammers return to London with a 2-1 victory. The goal was scored by (the above) Clyde Best. Does anyone have any memories of that goal that I can pass on to him?

A friend of mine from West Ham is asking for recollections of what is believe to be the best West Ham goal scored at Goodison. It was 50 years ago to this day November 25th as the Hammers return to London with a 2-1 victory. The goal was scored by (the above) Clyde Best. Does anyone have any memories of that goal that I can pass on to him?
It was offside

Very vague mate as I was seven!!!it was a great goal scored at the Gwladys Street End,he picked the ball up just inside our half and proceeded to slalom his way through six or seven of our players before coolly slotting past the keeper to a round of applause from the Goodson gallery!!hope that is near correct as it was a long time ago but it certainly was one that stood out!!!

Very vague mate as I was seven!!!it was a great goal scored at the Gwladys Street End,he picked the ball up just inside our half and proceeded to slalom his way through six or seven of our players before coolly slotting past the keeper to a round of applause from the Goodson gallery!!hope that is near correct as it was a long time ago but it certainly was one that stood out!!!

Sounds like the Kevin Davies goal for Southampton against us (or was it Blackburn, cant remember if he signed for them?)

My memory is he picked the ball up wide left around the halfway line in front of the main stand, set off on an arcing run towards the penalty box beating four or five players and curling an unstoppable shot past the goalkeeper, who would have been Lawson. Standing ovation from the crowd.

It was in the middle of 6 consecutive defeats for us. Bernie Wright put us ahead, which probably sums up where we were at the time. Actually it was a fine goal, a full-length diving header - wouldn't mind if we had someone who could do that now! Legend has it that Bernie promptly threw up in the centre circle. Can't remember who equalised.

Was it Bobby Moore's 500th league game? We presented him with a glass decanter before kick-off, which I'm sure he was grateful for.

He has an autobiography called The Acid Test (he received threats and abuse). It's well worth a read. I lived in Bermuda for six years and he's a legend over there. An ex colleague helped him with the book and showed me a scrapbook of newspaper articles etc. I feel very privileged to have seen it.

He was a genuine pioneer and alongside Ade Coker and Clive Charles they took to the pitch as three black players on the same team a good few years before West Broms "3 degrees".

It's an uncomfortable read at times as he mentions the racial abuse he suffered, including at Goodison.

Just googled it and @Eggs has posted about the goal before.

I must have been at that game because I didn't miss a home game for about 4 seasons in that era and can proudly say I don't remember a single thing about it.

He has an autobiography called The Acid Test (he received threats and abuse). It's well worth a read. I lived in Bermuda for six years and he's a legend over there. An ex colleague helped him with the book and showed me a scrapbook of newspaper articles etc. I feel very privileged to have seen it.

He was a genuine pioneer and alongside Ade Coker and Clive Charles they took to the pitch as three black players on the same team a good few years before West Broms "3 degrees".

It's an uncomfortable read at times as he mentions the racial abuse he suffered, including at Goodison.

….yep, I’ve posted about it a few times as it stood out to me as the ‘best’ individual goal I’ve ever seen at Goodson & I’ve seen plenty. if it was 50 years ago, I’d have been 16 and playing with a professional club myself. I’d have played a Youth team game that morning & used to being with top footballers, not easily impressed but that goal left a mark on me.

The detail for @alan ball will be a little cloudy with time but Clyde picked the ball up close to the trainers dug-outs near the half-way line just inside the Gwladys St half. I have it that he started going past players out wide, in front of what is now the family enclosure, cutting inside when he got near the penalty area.

He continued along the same theme before smashing the ball with venom into the Gwladys St net. There was a hush, almost a disbelief followed by applause from all parts of the ground. Fantastic goal & one I will never forget.

Last edited:

I’m absolutely steaming mate. No idea what is going on but all the best regardless

My memory is he picked the ball up wide left around the halfway line in front of the main stand, set off on an arcing run towards the penalty box beating four or five players and curling an unstoppable shot past the goalkeeper, who would have been Lawson. Standing ovation from the crowd.

It was in the middle of 6 consecutive defeats for us. Bernie Wright put us ahead, which probably sums up where we were at the time. Actually it was a fine goal, a full-length diving header - wouldn't mind if we had someone who could do that now! Legend has it that Bernie promptly threw up in the centre circle. Can't remember who equalised.

Was it Bobby Moore's 500th league game? We presented him with a glass decanter before kick-off, which I'm sure he was grateful for.

….yep, I’ve posted about it a few times as it stood out to me as the ‘best’ individual goal I’ve ever seen at Goodson & I’ve seen plenty. if it was 50 years ago, I’d have been 16 and playing with a professional club myself. I’d have played a Youth team game that morning & used to being with top footballers, not easily impressed but that goal left a mark on me.

The detail for @alan ball will be a little cloudy with time but Clyde picked the ball up close to the trainers dug-outs near the half-way line just inside the Gwladys St half. I have it that he started going past players out wide, in front of what is now the family enclosure, cutting inside when he got near the penalty area.

He continued along the same theme before smashing the ball with venom into the Gwladys St net. There was a hush, almost a disbelief followed by applause from all parts of the ground. Fantastic goal & one I will never forget.

All true. Fantastic goal. Remember it as the goal the crowd scored as (thinking about it afterwards) he must have been so peed off with the foul abuse he received during the match that he put every ounce of athleticism and skill he had into the run and shot.

(It as also the last match I stood in the Street End. Needed to get away from the racist numpties though, as it turned out, they were all round the ground.)

Status
Not open for further replies.