Club Statement: Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most flights are cargo. But lots of flights to get Brits home. 7000 from India last week. Looking to get thousands home from Pakistan and Bangladesh in the next few days
[/QUOTE] There was uproar here in Dublin last week when Keelings flew in 300 Bulgarians to work picking fruit for one of the major fruit suppliers here. Classed the as skilled workers . Couldn't write it!!
In fairness be no need for seasonal labour here if the lazy sods would actually take these jobs rather than sit on their backside taking money off the tax payers!!

Most flights are cargo. But lots of flights to get Brits home. 7000 from India last week. Looking to get thousands home from Pakistan and Bangladesh in the next few days
There was uproar here in Dublin last week when Keelings flew in 300 Bulgarians to work picking fruit for one of the major fruit suppliers here. Classed the as skilled workers . Couldn't write it!!
In fairness be no need for seasonal labour here if the lazy sods would actually take these jobs rather than sit on their backside taking money off the tax payers!!
[/QUOTE]

Or maybe the wage for people to do, (which is quite a back breaking job,) should be higher and If that means the cost of each apple goes up 5p then so be it.

There was uproar here in Dublin last week when Keelings flew in 300 Bulgarians to work picking fruit for one of the major fruit suppliers here. Classed the as skilled workers . Couldn't write it!!

Or maybe the wage for people to do, (which is quite a back breaking job,) should be higher and If that means the cost of each apple goes up 5p then so be it.
[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yep but do the Aussies flying home have to isolate when they get back? Here thousands are coming back and just go home nothing else
They have to self isolate for two weeks and hotel rooms are being used. They're not letting them go home. It works OK for the hotels because nobody's going anywhere anyway and I assume the government's paying for it. Some people are actually getting 5 star rooms for free and some are still whinging about it.

I definitely read the bit about Australia having the highest per capita testing rates somewhere this morning but I now can't find the source.
The 2 quotes below however are from today's Daily Mail
"Meanwhile in Australia, thousands of tests are being carried out every day, but huge swathes of the country have not recorded any new infections.
"Drive-through test clinics have also made it easy for worried citizens to get checked out."
[/QUOTE]
Yes, tbh I got the figure wrong. It's 7000 tested positive and I haven't come across the number of tests carried out. I've seen footage on TV of people
being mouth swabbed through car windows, but I think they are being carried out at facilities where there's a particular need to avoid infection.
Testing isn't available for people just wanting one. I'm not aware of any testing facility where I live in central Melbourne.

The nhs staff, doctors nurses but all staff, porters, receptionists. Carers, the lot are absolute heroes aren't they.

I've seen some members on here saying they are either front line workers or their families are. Literally putting their lives on the line. It's heavy. They should be saluted.

And when this is done the workers who have died trying to save lives, should have statues erected if them. There's already 3 or 4 in Liverpool alone.

Those who either go in or watch as family members or partners go in and try to make that difference , I don't know how you cope. You have my eternal respect.

It breaks my heart.

After listening to the comments by the chief scientist tonight it is increasingly obvious that no major football competitions will take place for at least 12 months. Footballs major headache now is not how to complete this current season but how to survive relatively intact until such time as a vaccine can be found.
Money says we will see behind closed doors games over the summer. That's what I reckon anyway will be like a glorfied preseason. But it will get good ratings because everyone is stuck at home. Personally I would scrap this season it's dangerous and there are more important things like public health right now and make preparations for starting again in September.

3 weeks training?? - More like 8-10 weeks considering they’ve all been training in their back garden since the start of March.

Season completed in 5 weeks?? - They’re footy players it’s not FIFA or champ man. Think how many injuries would happen. Like Rooney said they’re not guinea pigs, they’ll refuse to be treated inhumanly (especially bearing in mind it’s a deadly respiratory disease)
I was calculating the minimum time taken to complete the season based on the most wildly optimistic view. Personally, I don't think the season will be completed at all as your estimates may be nearer the mark.

The craziest thing is that this thread can rumble on ,where are their balls ? It should have been decided weeks ago that the season is finished .It does not take a blind man to see ,it has returned for a second time in some places and will again in others !

Last edited:
I must admit that I'm confused about how this virus has impacted on countries in different ways. I live in Australia where the pubs, restaurants, and various public facilities were shut down just a few days before Britain. Social distancing was introduced at the same time. Requests to stay home unless going out for exercise and essentials were issued at about the same time, and seem to have been observed by most.
And yet, Britain has suffered over 18,000 deaths while Australia has had just 75, so far. What other factors could have made such a difference?
Density of population?

Apart from major cities (which are not particularly massive) it's empty!

Edit..... Yeah. As already mentioned above.

Status
Not open for further replies.