Club Statement: Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
After listening to the comments by the chief scientist tonight it is increasingly obvious that no major football competitions will take place for at least 12 months. Footballs major headache now is not how to complete this current season but how to survive relatively intact until such time as a vaccine can be found.
some big renegotiations of contracts for players. Hopefully the game will come out of it a better more honest game. Not holding my breath like.

If Trump were in charge it would be back this weekend.

I think the British government are on the back foot because they undoubtedly were slow in reacting to the threat and were not prepared for what was to come or else they have the worst medical advisors in the world.

Either way they are playing catch up now against mounting criticism and I think they will be slow to try to get things back to normal too quickly in case of a second surge and even more criticism.
I must admit that I'm confused about how this virus has impacted on countries in different ways. I live in Australia where the pubs, restaurants, and various public facilities were shut down just a few days before Britain. Social distancing was introduced at the same time. Requests to stay home unless going out for exercise and essentials were issued at about the same time, and seem to have been observed by most.
And yet, Britain has suffered over 18,000 deaths while Australia has had just 75, so far. What other factors could have made such a difference?

Boris was trying to pass kopite legislation for them to get tax payer subsidies for thier transfer kitty. Open your eyes.
It was reported on ESPN last week that LFC has only enough money in the bank to pay 2 months players wages. Other clubs will be affected by lack of
revenue and cash flow, obviously, but it shows what a fine thread football clubs are hanging on.

I must admit that I'm confused about how this virus has impacted on countries in different ways. I live in Australia where the pubs, restaurants, and various public facilities were shut down just a few days before Britain. Social distancing was introduced at the same time. Requests to stay home unless going out for exercise and essentials were issued at about the same time, and seem to have been observed by most.
And yet, Britain has suffered over 18,000 deaths while Australia has had just 75, so far. What other factors could have made such a difference?

I would have thought density of population is a big factor in helping to spread the virus.

Inappropriate Language

Most brits are t***s

Probably density of population. We are a lot smaller country. More elderly people. Houses a lot smaller and cramped together and were a bit mad!

Probably because 24 mil living on a continent compared to 66 mil living on a relatively small island says it all.

I would have thought density of population is a big factor in helping to spread the virus.
Probably density of population. We are a lot smaller country. More elderly people. Houses a lot smaller and cramped together and were a bit mad!
Yes, that's the obvious answer, but Australia's population of 25/26 million isn't evenly spread around the continent. There are 5 million give or take in
Sydney, well over 4 million in Melbourne, and about 2 million each in Brisbane and Perth. That's not including Adelaide and the Gold Coast which have
massive populations. I keep in touch with cousins in the UK and what's being done there isn't any different from what we're doing here.
There has to be a reason.

Yes, that's the obvious answer, but Australia's population of 25/26 million isn't evenly spread around the continent. There are 5 million give or take in
Sydney, well over 4 million in Melbourne, and about 2 million each in Brisbane and Perth. That's not including Adelaide and the Gold Coast which have
massive populations. I keep in touch with cousins in the UK and what's being done there isn't any different from what we're doing here.

I've only ever spent a fair amount of time in Melbourne but compared to cities in the UK i think it's totally different in that we have many living in close proximity of each other in flats/council flats and you have a higher % living in houses?

While population density will undoubtedly have played a part, the real reasons for Australia's much better situation re the pandemic are more to do with their rapid response in comparison to the dithering approach from our Government.
To date Australia currently has one of highest per capita testing rates in the world.

At a guess Australia probably introduced lockdown earlier in the spread than the U.K.

Northern Ireland has a higher per capita death rate than the Republic of Ireland which is probably attributable to lockdown being introduced here in line with the rest of the U.K. rather than on an all-island basis.

I think and you may be able to confirm it. Australia started the restrictions earlier than us. Stopped air travel and anyone coming in had to quarantine for 14 days. I have family in new Zealand and that's what they have done. And they haven't had many deaths. Compare to us airports still open. 7000 people brought back from India last week. Arrive back at the airport no checks just went back to their house. We have been behind most countries I think because the scientific advice was it better to catch it and get herd immunity. Then that professor from imperial.college predicted 250000 deaths if lockdown wasn't in place. They panicked and brought lockdown in. Most people dying i.e the old and infirm would mostly have died from something else anyway. By the way this professor predicted 250000 deaths when we had foot and mouth a few years ago if we didn't lockdown. What happened. No lockdown and there were no deaths

5 Mill in Sydney compared to London is rather small.

Status
Not open for further replies.