Club Statement: Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think restarting this season in March 2021 is a runner obviously - but as we move further and further away from sport returning "wacky" ideas have to start being considered.

If football gets the green light to recommence from the 1st Jan 2021 for example. There is no way UEFA, FA etc are going to sit on their hands and say "ah sure no rush, we will wait til august and just start a new season then"

Aye aye Aldos had a can of Kestrel Super.

Don't think the end of the lockdown, will be the green light either. When the lockdown is eased, it is going to be a very very slow process to restart conventional society. I dont think we are just going to get a green light one morning and suddenly there are millions on the buses, trains, school runs and work, never mind full stadiums, this is going to a drip feed of tests, maybe starting some schools back, some workers before considering Pubs, restaurants & Stadiums.

This is going to be one hell of a long haul & I cant see a scenario where football is played by September, never mind june this year.

I agree. We aren't going to go from pure lockdown to allowing multiple gatherings of 40,000 people with away fans travelling up and down the country any time this year.

I think the whole of next season is in jeopardy. I think the European Championships will be scrapped, and that the next football season will be 2021/2022.

I agree. We aren't going to go from pure lockdown to allowing multiple gatherings of 40,000 people with away fans travelling up and down the country any time this year.

I think the whole of next season is in jeopardy. I think the European Championships will be scrapped, and that the next football season will be 2021/2022.

where I disagree with you, is that they wont wait for natural timing of a new season to recommence. there is simply too much money at stake. If, for example football is cleared to play from Jan 2021, they will be ready to go on day one & there will be an outside the box solution.

That could be bringing the Euro's forward (unlikely given the travel set-up), run a half season (play once); change the calendar to a Jan - Oct with a Summer break through Qatar, a four month giant club world cup etc etc.

Are we seriously saying football won’t be ready to restart until the end of year?

I personally can’t see it lasting that long

its obviously a guessing game and no one knows, but my fear is it will be a slow re-implementation of back to a normal way of living, testing the impacts of larger gatherings (schools going back, full public transport etc) before the consideration of the impact of stadium attendance on a "Second wave" - if thats the way we move forward it is going to be a slow slow restoration of the norm.

then again there could be a solution / vacine / cure that means we are back to normal in two months

where I disagree with you, is that they wont wait for natural timing of a new season to recommence. there is simply too much money at stake. If, for example football is cleared to play from Jan 2021, they will be ready to go on day one & there will be an outside the box solution.

That could be bringing the Euro's forward (unlikely given the travel set-up), run a half season (play once); change the calendar to a Jan - Oct with a Summer break through Qatar, a four month giant club world cup etc etc.

You seem really fixed on January being a restart, there’s absolutely no way any sport, let alone football is going to have what would be a 9 month shut down, businesses wouldn’t survive that long so imagine what it would do to the sports industry?

You seem really fixed on January being a restart, there’s absolutely no way any sport, let alone football is going to have what would be a 9 month shut down, businesses wouldn’t survive that long so imagine what it would do to the sports industry?

no i'm absolutely not, my point is it could be that long or even longer & a 20/21 start on august whatever is not guaranteed. the sports industry will be closed until it is safe to have large gatherings & yes it would damage the industry beyond recognition, which is way IF Jan 1st is the Green light date, the industry would not wait til August to protect the natural cadence of the traditional season dates

fella, even the money in the PL is tiny compared to what whole countries are having to underwrite, prepare yourself for the whole of 2020/21 season to go too.

fella, even the money in the PL is tiny compared to what whole countries are having to underwrite, prepare yourself for the whole of 2020/21 season to go too.

absolutely could - as could 21/22; I just think the idea of boxing the timetable in to August to May in times of such uncertainty isn't the way it could pan out.

The second it is safe to play (and if that's August / Sept great) UEFA, PL and the TV stations will be ready to go no matter what time of year and the notion of the organic timings of August to May probably will with them.

Of course there will still be those trying to ensure the RS get the league so they will still want to have the 9 games completed even if it's June 2021!

there certainly will & timing might just fit that works nicely in a readjusted scheduled, I think UEFA, PL etc will ultimately come out with a statement sooner rather than later saying something along the lines of.....

"Due to the unprecedented situation, there will be no decision on the current season, future seasons or the Euro's until there is a clear safe date for football to return agreed"

Status
Not open for further replies.