Club Statement: Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
With a gun to my head, win it, but I'm not at all bothered about it, certainly not as much as those who have contributed hundreds of pages on the subject on this, the "Fears of a Witchhunt", "Should Liverpool be awarded the league" & "Shouldthe season be
Plus everyone on this thread telling us why the season should be voided, plus the same on the "Fears of a Witch-hunt thread", the "Cancel the season" thread & the "Award the title to Liverpool" thread lol.

I think people are pointing out the contractual and legal difficulties (if not impossibilities) of re-starting and ending post June 30th. Increasingly it is looking like the only way to finish the season would be to do so under a dangerous social context and so the preference would be to cancel the season. Arguing for the primacy of safety for all those involved with football, and wider society, is not the moral equivalence of what (some) Liverpool supporters are arguing in terms of football should be restarted seemingly whatever the cost.

so 6 months with zero competitive football to maintain the calendar - that is absolute nonsense

It's a massively difficult position though isn't it? In that situation there is no easy answer. I mean the obvious one is play half a season, but would people agree to it?

Because it always has? Because that allows for international competitions to be played in the summer (unless the idiots at FIFA decide to put it in a desert)? Because there are other sports that get televised in football's offseason? Because some stadiums are used for other things in the summer? Why is it so important to you that it doesn't run August-May?

If they cancel the current one and it’s safe to start the next one in January 2021, it seems bonkers to wait a further 8 months to do.... just because “it’s always been that way”.

FIFA have already designated the next World Cup to run in Winter, so the next couple of seasons would’ve had to adapt considerably even before COVID19 hit.

With the 2022 Qatar WC being held in Nov / December, it’s not a stretch to consider that future international tournament may need to do the same if necessary (if Australia were to host a WC for example) and that would mean another shift to the traditional Aug-May calendar.

It’s not important to me when it runs, I don’t care when the season runs, it doesn’t really matter. Why would you be bothered about a season starting in January and finishing in October?

so 6 months with zero competitive football to maintain the calendar - that is absolute nonsense
Hi mate. Here’s you yesterday advocating an 8 month lay off at the start of 2023, because.... ‘special’ season.

I think people are pointing out the contractual and legal difficulties (if not impossibilities) of re-starting and ending post June 30th. Increasingly it is looking like the only way to finish the season would be to do so under a dangerous social context and so the preference would be to cancel the season. Arguing for the primacy of safety for all those involved with football, and wider society, is not the moral equivalence of what (some) Liverpool supporters are arguing in terms of football should be restarted seemingly whatever the cost.

As I stated in an earlier post how can matches be played unless restrictions are lifted - Not staying home, 2 person limit on crowds lifted.

If not how can teams get together with staff, officials, medic help to play games.

Which point of this post didn't you understand?
"Starting in January 2021 means the season ends around Oct. 1 unless you play twice a week and eliminate the two domestic cups plus the CL and EL. That would entail roughly a 20-week schedule that would finish at the end of May. That would allow a return to the normal August start for the 21-22 season. The only roadblocks to that are the Euros -- trying to shoehorn them in between might be an issue. In any case, the 19-20 season would have to be voided. Sorry, Cooks."

As I stated in an earlier post how can matches be played unless restrictions are lifted - Not staying home, 2 person limit on crowds lifted.

If not how can teams get together with staff, officials, medic help to play games.

there is zero chance of football being played without a full clearance for crowds. In this case you can't be half pregnant so to speak if it's safe for 1000, it needs to be equally safe for 70,000 & that is going to have to take a long to establish. No one will know the powderkeg of putting a huge crowd in a stadium until gatherings of smaller sizes are tested and measured.

Which point of this post didn't you understand?
"Starting in January 2021 means the season ends around Oct. 1 unless you play twice a week and eliminate the two domestic cups plus the CL and EL. That would entail roughly a 20-week schedule that would finish at the end of May. That would allow a return to the normal August start for the 21-22 season. The only roadblocks to that are the Euros -- trying to shoehorn them in between might be an issue. In any case, the 19-20 season would have to be voided. Sorry, Cooks."

It still doesn’t answer the question.

Why could a season, any season, not run January - October if it was safe to resume at that point?

Or Feb-Nov, Mar-Dec, Apr-Jan? Same length as the current season runs, just different start and end points. What’s the difference?

Any subsequent international tournaments held at the end of those periods, in precisely the same way. We’re about to see a World Cup in Winter anyway.

This ongoing crisis has shifted things, no question. It’s moved everything about. Again, it seems utterly bonkers if the govt say it’s safe to resume Football to delay everything for a further 6 months+, especially if the only reason to pursue an August-May season is “it’s always been that way”.

It’s a waste of 6 months Football revenue that clubs, players, authorities and companies could ill-afford when all this is over.

That still doesn’t answer the question. Assuming this current season is voided and it’s only safe to return to Football “normality” in January 2021, why would the authorities wait 8 months till August 2021 to resume the traditional Football calendar?

Why is it so important that the season runs Aug-May?
It is a lot to do with the weather I suspect .Well now I have read that back I am not so sure (Burnley away in February ). Also I don't understand the obsession with the "football Money" ,there are countless other businesses really suffering now and many of them are crucial to everyday life ,far more than football is .

It is a lot to do with the weather I suspect .Well now I have read that back I am not so sure (Burnley away in February ).

But we already play during the worst of the winter weather. Ironically we don’t play when it’s peak beer garden weather in June and July.

Ok mate they're resuming the 2019/20 season in January 2021 and Big Red Incorporated will have their moment in the sun.

What is wrong with you???? Why is this going back to Liverpool winning the league - some might say you are little bit too obsessed.

this is looking at the scenario of starting a new season after this one is void, assuming football is safe to play from Jan 2021 - NOTHING TO DO WITH LIVERPOOL or CONTINUING THIS SEASON

Status
Not open for further replies.