Club Statement: Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
There has to be a limit surely.
By that logic if the pandemic lasts for another 5 years we have to conclude the season with the same squads in 5 years time...

Exactly...

They've moved a competition, and extended the FA's rule/deadline beyond 1st June to "indefinitely"

I figure this doesn't necessarily mean unlimited, but for an unspecified period of time. Every chance in the coming weeks/months it's specified but there has to be a deadline at some point.

Why?

I'm not saying that there is no timescale on this by the way. I think there will have to come a point whereby voiding becomes a reasonable and fair outcome, I just don't think that's now and I don't think it will be 30th June either.

Genuinely and sincerely curious as to why people think that date is so important to stick to (beyond the obvious answer, which is also a perfectly fine answer to give).

whatever the "obvious" reason is, the players need rest, new season kicks off in August, world health permitting and even before that pre season training/ matches.

Why?

I'm not saying that there is no timescale on this by the way. I think there will come a point whereby voiding becomes a reasonable outcome, I just don't think that's now and I don't think it will be 30th June either.

Genuinely and sincerely curious as to why people think that date is so important to stick to (beyond the obvious answer, which is also a perfectly fine answer to give).

I think a date is important - you've got to allow for planning.

That's why they set rolling dates with regards to postponements - the latest being 30th April.

With regards to why fans are looking to specific dates, I think it's as simple as it being they're the dates that exist within the laws of the game.

For me, the 30th June seems logical. They've moved a competition and made an allowance of over a month and it's UEFAs deadline/player contract deadlines etc.

If it's backed by legislation, they may have no choice.

Furthermore, how many players does this apply to? There are very few key 1st team players with over 20 league appearances who's contract is expiring at that time.

Worst case scenario, they leave and the clubs are without a player for the final 3 or 4 games that they were going to lose anyway.
Legislation from where?

Grasping straws here.

They're absolutely right to do everything within their power to get this season over the line. Postponing the Euros and allowing extra time is the right thing to do.

But I think it will be ridiculous if the season continues beyond 30th June.

It makes no odds who you support, or at least is shouldn't - there's a reason the laws of the game have deadlines.

It's hard to be objective in these situations. However you try to be. I thought Karren Brady's comments were opportunistic and ill advised at that time. The position should be, that we can try to return at the end of April and do all we can to finish the league. That's not small task either, it's going to mean playing games, at the end of a long season, very quickly bunched together. However sacrifices should be made to try and complete this season.

Objectively though, there has to be an end point. Contractually, financially, practically, feasibly, legally and ethically moving the league beyond June 30th would be the wrong move. We would have already moved one major tournament, and extended the league by 6 weeks to achieve that, but much after that and you just start getting so many different problems, it's hard to see how you can gain agreement for 14 teams to be happy with it.

In life, eventually you have to have cut off points where you can move on. June 30th feels the right moment. I think most of Europe has coalesced around that position.

From the official

"To guarantee the same seat for the 2020/21 season, existing Season Ticket Members need to renew by midnight on Thursday 2 April "

I really hope they look into this and push it back as im sure plenty still havent paid but the virus situation has put many people into financial uncertainty

If it's backed by legislation, they may have no choice.

Furthermore, how many players does this apply to? There are very few key 1st team players with over 20 league appearances who's contract is expiring at that time.

Worst case scenario, they leave and the clubs are without a player for the final 3 or 4 games that they were going to lose anyway.

There is no legislation they can bring in, that can trump a contract. They can ask players to voluntarily accept, as they can with clubs. Do you think we are voluntarily accepted keeping Niasse and Martina on the wage bill? Likewise if we sign Gabriel, the expectation is we will register him and he will play. We have paid significant money for him, and it would not be reasonable of a court to deny him the chance to play, as July is very clearly a period whereby players can move and become registered for a club.

You have to iron out all of these things, over the forthcoming weeks, across every league in Europe if you want to extend beyond June 30th (and a hell of a lot more).

All the calendars across the different leagues have to align for next season. Which means either UEFA extend the window by which they want leagues to finish, or they’ll have to end as they are. UEFA have moved the euros in what was seen as a move to allow leagues to finish but really I think they just protected their own product. They’ll want the euros next summer to occur full and proper and a full season of European matches before it. They won’t be holding the whole calendar of European football to ransom just to let the premier league finish whenever it wants on an ‘indefinite’ basis.

You do realise that Liverpool aren't the ones making the decision as to what happens with the league this season, right?
Of course I do but magnanimity on their part would go a very long way towards backing up the claims made by their fans in this possibly truncated season.

All the calendars across the different leagues have to align for next season. Which means either UEFA extend the window by which they want leagues to finish, or they’ll have to end as they are. UEFA have moved the euros in what was seen as a move to allow leagues to finish but really I think they just protected their own product. They’ll want the euros next summer to occur full and proper and a full season of European matches before it. They won’t be holding the whole calendar of European football to ransom just to let the premier league finish whenever it wants on an ‘indefinite’ basis.

If UEFA move the Euro's, they will lose the opportunity to play Euro 2021. They will be making losses this year. They will be decimated if they have to cancel it alltogether. They will have to lay off hundreds of people, who are dependant on that tournament. Can you see turkeys wanting to vote for Christmas?

If UEFA move the Euro's, they will lose the opportunity to play Euro 2021. They will be making losses this year. They will be decimated if they have to cancel it alltogether. They will have to lay off hundreds of people, who are dependant on that tournament. Can you see turkeys wanting to vote for Christmas?

I think UEFA got in early and sorted their house our first. They’ve moved the euros (ensuring they will definitely happen now) and set the limit on this season as June. They have some revenues tied up in finishing off the CL this year yes but notnearly as much as they have in the euros and a full calendar of European football next year that is solid. I can’t see them wanting an overhang from this season running into their plans for next. I certainly don’t see how the PL has the power to claim the season will run indefinitely. If UEFA need to know who will be in their competitions next season then they cannot have one member state finishing up whenever they feel like it. Transfer windows, player contracts, scheduling, sponsor deals, all align to one calendar so I doubt that all parties will put this aside if it comes to that to allow English football to do what it wants.

China put whole sections of the country into complete lockdown, and when they say lockdown in China they mean exactly that.

In Ireland and throughout Europe pubs, restaurants, school, colleges have been shutting down completely over the last ten day, as Brisan123 said earlier we have lost nearly 350,000 jobs in a little over a week and we know that we are only heading into the worst of it. We are told we will have 15,000 cases of the virus before the end of this month alone.

As I understand it there has been no closures yet in England . I fear that unless the government acts very soon(if it isn't already to late) there could be carnage in England.
Football , and when it restarts will soon be an issue pushed to the back of peoples minds as they battle with life and death issues.
The season is gone, next season may be late starting at best.
Sickness, death, loss of jobs, the destruction of economies are the topics to be discussed over the coming months.
There should be an option to multiple like a post

I think UEFA got in early and sorted their house our first. They’ve moved the euros (ensuring they will definitely happen now) and set the limit on this season as June. They have some revenues tied up in finishing off the CL this year yes but notnearly as much as they have in the euros and a full calendar of European football next year that is solid. I can’t see them wanting an overhang from this season running into their plans for next. I certainly don’t see how the PL has the power to claim the season will run indefinitely. If UEFA need to know who will be in their competitions next season then they cannot have one member state finishing up whenever they feel like it. Transfer windows, player contracts, scheduling, sponsor deals, all align to one calendar so I doubt that all parties will put this aside if it comes to that to allow English football to do what it wants.

Yes I mean that is the power play from UEFA. Option 1 will be demanding to now who is in the competitions for Europe by June 30th. If the PL are still on some wild goose chase about extending indefinitely whenever it is, they will not be able to provide that information. Sides in the European places are going to start telling the league to get real, and cancel it.

The 2nd thing they can do, is just not recognise it as valid. They could also say any results after July 1st aren't valid. It gets very messy.

But yes, amongst particularly Liverpool fans there seems to be this complete misunderstanding that UEFA are not some benevolent organisation. I suspect it is as a result of them continually being treated with kid gloves by everyone, means they don't see the worst in organisations. However UEFA are their own organisation, with their own objectives and goals, employees, pressures, sponsors to keep happy, tickets to sell etc. They are a major rival to the PL. They are not going to roll over just to ensure the PL can keep Liverpool happy.

If UEFA need to know who will be in their competitions next season then they cannot have one member state finishing up whenever they feel like it.

Transfer windows, player contracts, scheduling, sponsor deals, all align to one calendar

UEFA have several member states that don't align August - May. Wouldn't be a problem.

Our transfer window ends weeks before the rest of Europe too, so there would be some latitude afforded there, as there is with others.

Last edited by a moderator:

Status
Not open for further replies.