Club Statement: Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
It may not require the consent of the players, if there are extenuating circumstances built into the contracts.

United have just extended Matic' contract for 1 year without him having to re-sign as it was already built into the agreement.

I'm sure the club's lawyers will be trawling through the fine print of those contracts to ensure they are watertight and protect the clubs as much as possible.

If one or two players are able to circumnavigate it, then that's a much smaller legal issue than voiding a full season.

That's quite an assumption, we don't know that this will happen.

I can just see it down the offices of Siegfried, Roy and Partners, LLP.

"Hey did anyone check the fine print in any of the contracts whilst we were doing them? Some guy call Moshiri was just on the phone about it."

"Nah, we just copied and pasted one we found on the internet boss."

"Did you have anything in it about pandemics or extending contracts if the season is extended?"

"Come on boss, you know we don't read those things. Especially not that really small writing at the end."

"Better get looking now. See if they're worth the paper the contracts are printed on."

"Ahh boss... I wanted to sit in my pants and watch box sets whilst I was at home. This ain't fair."

What if Ryan Fraser came to Everton on a free and scored the winner against them on the last day to send them down? They'd just go "ah well, them's the rules, back to the Championship we go"?

You can't register new players during the season, other than during the January transfer window. So Fraser couldn't sign for anyone until the season ended.

If the season continues into June, the transfer window will be pushed back too.

that really doesn't matter, what if a team has loads of injuries and have to play a load of youths (i.e. not first team regulars in your eyes), who are all going out of contract. They just leave then? A team who started the season thinking they had a good squad of 28 now has a squad of 10 because they were planning on doing a mass recruitment in the summer.

It doesn't matter if you only see it as "just a few people affected", it's got to be fair and equal for everyone.

I can assure you that 18 players are not leaving one club mate lol

It is fair and equal for everyone, all clubs will be facing the same challenges.

The clubs could always bypass this challenge by agreeing new contract extensions with said players.

What about the lower leagues who rely on those loan players to make a team?

It's easy to extend a contract by a month but loan players would be a nightmare for how many there are

How so?

Their parent clubs have farmed them out on loan for playing time. They've managed the full season without them.

You think if the season was extended beyond the original loan agreement date, they'd be in a hurry to get them back?

No, they'd just extend it. Totally normal.

How will it be played in June July, at the height of the pandemic? There are so many players out of contract in lower league clubs too. And then what if other countries vote to void and we say we will carry on, then who qualifies for Europe? Besides, I think we mightn’t have any footy at all in 2020 the way it’s going.

You can't register new players during the season, other than during the January transfer window. So Fraser couldn't sign for anyone until the season ended.

If the season continues into June, the transfer window will be pushed back too.

You also can't force players to stay beyond their current contracts, but here you are arguing til you're blue in the face that they can.

You also can't force players to stay beyond their current contracts, but here you are arguing til you're blue in the face that they can.

I'm not arguing that they will, I'm saying it's one of many possibilities open to clubs concerned about losing players.

And even if you're argument is that it's utterly impossible, 6 clubs losing 9 players for a handful of games isn't valid reason to void a season.

indees but doesn’t mean I can’t feel depressed over it

Nothing worth getting depressed over, mate.

It will pass. Plenty to remain positive about.

Just hope people get better as soon as possible and we can get back to living our lives. An absolute tragedy this though, the Chinese government have a hell of a lot to answer for.
How many lives taken now?

Just pray they get a vaccine soon.

I'm not arguing that they will, I'm saying it's one of many possibilities open to clubs concerned about losing players.

And even if you're argument is that it's utterly impossible, 6 clubs losing 9 players for a handful of games isn't valid reason to void a season.

Nothing worth getting depressed over, mate.

It will pass. Plenty to remain positive about.

What are the other “many” possibilities mate?

What are the other “many” possibilities mate?

Offer the player a contract extension might be a decent bet.

Failing that, they could just play their remaining games with the other 20+ players in their squad and accept that it's only a minor loss in the grand scheme of things.

I can't see any outcome whereby Sheffield United sue the league because they chose to resume rather than void, thereby giving Sheffield United a chance to reach the Champions League...... all because John Lundstram left with 3 games to go.

Lets face it Liverpool are really showing their true colours on this matter. Supporters of all clubs have heard nothing but how great their side is, World champions, European champions and leading the Prem by a bucket of points. It really shouldn't matter a tinkers cus whether the league is void or not because they are the best and should repeat this feat for seasons to come. It seems that this cast iron confidence is only paper thin as they readily parade former players claiming the league must be finished. These demands can only be viewed with pictures of funeral processions, grieving relatives all over the country and of course celebrating kopites. This smacks big time of Heysel and Hillsborough, celebrate yourselves while others mourn their dead
Ger real Anfield, either way you'll lose as will those who lose loved ones but to call the season void places you in a much better light or do you even
care?

Status
Not open for further replies.