Club Statement: Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Come on guys, realistically never mind the mathematics our neighbours cannot be dislodged they are the champions. Having said that for me the best way out of this mess is for the football league to recognise that and award them the trophy but to declare the season over and leave all matters relating to promotion and relegation to next season with the clubs at all divisions carrying the points forward as a credit to be built on in the new season. For CL and EL take the current positions as those for qualifying.. If the FL carry on with postponements and try to restart in say 2 months time it will be with holidays and the new season start to take into account make a right bleeding mess.

The only other alternative is to declare for all levels the season null and void and starting afresh next August.

They’re the best team but they haven’t won have they ? Just like Norwich aren’t relegated because it’s not over . I remember watching Sir Steve Redgrave win one of his golds and the interviewer saying something like “another couple of metres and the Italians /Australians/whoever might have had you there “ and Redgrave was obviously not pleased and his response was something along the lines of “the race is 2000m not 2005m” . Basically he was peaked to perform at that distance because that was the race . It doesn’t matter whose ahead at 1995m or 2005m only 2000m. It’s the same with football that Wimbledon season we were down and out so many times in that final game but it only mattered where we where when the final whistle blew .

my long winded point is you can’t relegate teams because of where they are with 9 games left , you can’t say “the RS would 99.99999999 have won the league “ , it’s just not how sport works . If the rules are set out and it’s not finished then it’s void , it seems simple enough to me and I get it’s unpalatable for their fans but unfortunately for them it’s where we are .

They’re the best team but they haven’t won have they ? Just like Norwich aren’t relegated because it’s not over . I remember watching Sir Steve Redgrave win one of his golds and the interviewer saying something like “another couple of metres and the Italians /Australians/whoever might have had you there “ and Redgrave was obviously not pleased and his response was something along the lines of “the race is 2000m not 2005m” . Basically he was peaked to perform at that distance because that was the race . It doesn’t matter whose ahead at 1995m or 2005m only 2000m. It’s the same with football that Wimbledon season we were down and out so many times in that final game but it only mattered where we where when the final whistle blew .

my long winded point is you can’t relegate teams because of where they are with 9 games left , you can’t say “the RS would 99.99999999 have won the league “ , it’s just not how sport works . If the rules are set out and it’s not finished then it’s void , it seems simple enough to me and I get it’s unpalatable for their fans but unfortunately for them it’s where we are .

So you go for the alternative?

Do you really expect our neighbours to lose the rest of the games and City win them all?

If it was our club in that position what would you be saying then?

I’d suspect not but I also think I’d understand the point though , if they were mathematically champions they’ve won the league . They’re the best team and though it pains me to say it probably amongst the most worthy champions for years even considering the VAR stuff as they’ve been streets ahead of anyone else on consistency etc but the league is 38 games and they haven’t got an unassailable lead .

Did you watch Wilder /fury one ? Wilder knocked fury out , no way fury is getting up from that . I’ve watched boxing all my life it’s simply not possible he gets up , Wilder is dancing but the ref doesn’t stop counting at 8 because the rules are 10 and what happens Fury gets up .

I have to say that, given the appalling mess and inconsistencies created by VAR this season, it would be a very appropriate ending to simply abandon this season.
Of course I'm bound to say that, given who the runaway leaders are, but I'd like to think my opinion would be the same whoever was about to win the league, unless it was us of course!
If we were in that position right now, I guess thousands of us would be posting and tweeting 'Everton that!'
COYB!!!!

I’d suspect not but I also think I’d understand the point though , if they were mathematically champions they’ve won the league . They’re the best team and though it pains me to say it probably amongst the most worthy champions for years even considering the VAR stuff as they’ve been streets ahead of anyone else on consistency etc but the league is 38 games and they haven’t got an unassailable lead .

Did you watch Wilder /fury one ? Wilder knocked fury out , no way fury is getting up from that . I’ve watched boxing all my life it’s simply not possible he gets up , Wilder is dancing but the ref doesn’t stop counting at 8 because the rules are 10 and what happens Fury gets up .

Yep, rules are rules, go past go collect £200, not £500.

Not sure if mentioned but crystal palace are going to be without there manager for 4 months or so soon. Being over 70, he is gonna be on lockdown for a while. Really not seeing how we complete now. Surely you cant turn around to Palace and say you have to play without your leader.

I cannot but equally can you deny our neighbours will not win enough of theirs to clinch it?
If the season is declared null and void I can deny it. If the league does commence (although the way the coronavirus over panic is spreading I can't see the league commencing for months) and Liverpool win it fair enough. Till that happens they shouldn't he given anything

If this was City, or United, or even Arsenal or Chelsea, on these points, and the league ends with no honours, it would not be anywhere near as big a deal would it. I'm sure their fans would still be fuming but ultimately this is an unprecedented situation and it would just be unavoidable. The season that never was.

Oh but because it's the lovables, and crucially because of the 30 years thing, the rs hordes in the media and across the world are DEMANDING they get the league. Not only because they're on the verge of winning it, but because they are desperate to break their duck.

For my money that's the absolute crux of it. If the rs had won the league in 2014/ last year, there wouldn't be this ridiculous hoo hah that they should just get this trophy regardless. It is because of the 30 years thing (and because they are entitled rs beauts obviously). Think about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.