Clean sheets - What are they, where did they go and when will we see them again?

Next Clean Sheet?

• Next match (Leeds)

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Burnley

Votes: 23 26.1%
  • Chelsea

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Arsenal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Manchester United

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Sheffield United

Votes: 9 10.2%
  • Manchester City

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 9 10.2%
  • When Trump concedes

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Once we've all had the Covid vaccine

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • A club full of bedwetters will never have clean sheets

Votes: 14 15.9%
  • Other humorous option (please elaborate in the comments)

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Shut up as long as we win I don't care about clean sheets that's only for fantasy league virgins

Votes: 11 12.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
One of our problems now is players getting in behind our back four mate, if we played a high line teams would be scoring (more than they are now) for fun.
I know what he means though. We sit back but we're not compact, so people actually get behind us in our own box, which is criminal. I would like to see us defend on the front foot a bit more, and have pace there which means that if someone does get behind you can still get back at them, rather than them literally being in a position to shoot as soon as they get it like we're seeing currently. We're a very, very passive team defensively. I don't think we engage anywhere near high enough up the pitch.

You know as I wrote that I was thinking "that's not right', but I just couldn't think of what I meant to put. Starting to think I'm losing my mind now. Misremembering certain things and not being able to find the right words etc. it's a slippery slope :(
I feel your pain mate

I never really cared to much for clean sheets I couldn't care if the opposition scored 20 as long as we score at least 21... but having to score a minimum of 3 goals every game can't be maintained.
Last season our biggest issue was midfield not it looks like its our defense the midfield was improved in the summer window so I'd imagine we'll have to wait until next summer to improve the defense as we generally don't do much in January.

One of our problems now is players getting in behind our back four mate, if we played a high line teams would be scoring (more than they are now) for fun.
matip and fabinho aren’t fast but they have managed so far

Robertson and Trent literally play as wingers not wing backs because of how far forward they are

The reason they get away with it is because when out of possession their central midfield and attacking players press to recover and force the opponent to either make a mistake or give up possession

I don’t think you need a massive amount of pace in your central defenders what you need is a fast press from your midfield and attackers and wing backs

We aren’t a balanced side atm. Carlo is asking the players oftentimes to step further up and take risks (to be fair it has worked in every game Richy has played). This leaves us open to breaks and lots of quick players running at two less than quick center halves.

So unless we find a absolute world class option at the back or find somebody to stop these counters, we will have these problems. Any center halves below world class will struggle in those situations. It’s often why City teams will stretch themselves so thin despite being a good defensive unit as a whole.

The issue is that when our defence regardless of which iteration are playing have an opposition player run at them, they decide to ignore the at least 15 years of defensive experience they have, the world class coaching, the endless drills, the match prep and the basic common sense and instead decide to run around in circles, flap their arms, cry and wet themselves until the opposition:

A. Score

B. Miss and will have to have another go

Roberto Martinez is watching us right now thinking we’re more Martinez than him and are the best team in history.

It’s a difficult task when you have the worst keeper in the league in nets

kepa-cc2e.png

The goalkeeper is a laughing stock, the two senior centre-backs are limited and the club has allowed the Baines situation of 2017/18 to be repeated with Coleman.

We're going to need to score a lot of goals to stay in the hunt for Europe.

Think we'll get a couple of clean sheets in a row.

Conceded 2 or more 6 in a row now is it? Surely that has to come to an end soon

Status
Not open for further replies.