Clean Sheets - or lack of them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stutheblue

Player Valuation: £30m
We've got to start keeping more clean sheets. This season we've only had one clean sheet (Blackburn away - and that was a bit fortunate!). Also, we've conceded the first goal in games far too often this season, and for a team that's lacking in forward options and that plays in a limited fashion (attacking wise) I feel we must tighten up our defence and look to score first. Stating the obvious I know - but I feel if we score first we are more likely to secure a win. When we go behind it's one hell of a struggle because opposing teams know that we now lack the guile and pace to cause them a problem. In short it becomes a battle and it's painstaking, yesterday being a classic example. I fear this year we are just going to have to soldier on and finish as high as we can, but there's no doubt we've gone backwards from the type of football we've seen in the last two or three seasons.

The whole team is suffering from a lack of composure that probably stems from a lack of confidence. Players are giving away stupid penalties (thank [Poor language removed] Howard had saved a couple) at one end and we are snatching at chances at the other.

If we scrape a decent result next week as well watch confidence soar and these stupid mistakes disappear

We have only had 6 clean sheets since the start of november last year in all comps [46 games] - [3 in 4 games we keep clean sheets just before november last year]

Last edited:
Would you argue we had one of the best sides in the premiership stamina/endurance wise? Moyes has them working runs every time you hear about a training so why aren't we able to press further up the pitch for longer periods of time.
A lot of the weaker sides in this league have weaker defensive ball players than us, so would hopefully crumble under pressure. But we fall back to the last third and then still look a bit of a shambles to me, everytime we fall back..

Yesterday would have been a clean sheet if not for the crap penalty given. While not one of the Blues' best efforts offensively, the ball control was outstanding and only allowed one shot on goal. The only nervous moment of the second half was the free kick in stoppage time.

Moylez needs to move Hibbert to centre back alongside Rodwell. Lash Seamus right back and drop shyteinga and Jags. Job done.

Yesterday would have been a clean sheet if not for the crap penalty given. While not one of the Blues' best efforts offensively, the ball control was outstanding and only allowed one shot on goal. The only nervous moment of the second half was the free kick in stoppage time.

Your probs right cos Wolves didnt really offer anything attacking wise, but then again we was just as shti. I said to my old man as we was watching the game, who's the away team here?. We sat off so deep at times and never pressed the ball at all, and this is against a Wolves team that was seriously lacking in the final third.

But yet Wolves was hunting us down in packs and not giving us a second, why we cant do that is beyond me?. Every game is the same, we stand off and let em have the ball. But are play was awfull at times yesterday, struggling to string passes together, forced back pretty much all the time and then Jags would just either hoof it anywhere with no purpose or straight to a Wolves shirt, i could of sworn we had his twin brother playing yesterday that normally plays for dog and duck on a sunday morning than the Jags that played so well for England against Spain the other weekend!.

I dont know what Moyes and Round coach these players through the week but are use off the ball and play is shocking, there's no movement, no nothing!. I was watching the 1st team warm up before the game and they was having a session of keep ball before going in and getting ready for the game and neither team could string 3 or 4 passes together, it was shocking, it's like they'd never done anything like that before so fcuk knows what they coach em at FF through week, they probs just work on defensive shape and getting men in our own half in banks of 4 and 5/6 behind ball all week!.

We always seem to get nervy at the back if we haven't scored after the first half hour, if we could put away our chances our confidence would grow in the game and silly defensive mistakes would be cut out... That's my logic anyway...

Although we are still playing poorly, i thought yesterday we were better defensively. Wolves only had 1 shot on target(their peno) and i think 4 efforts off target. We were slightly unlucky with the pen conceded, could of got away with it on another day. We will see some clean sheets vert soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.