Clapping Naismith

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're obviously evading the point, regardless of who scored I dont feel it appropriate to applaud if its against us. And I will never deviate from that opinion. As for the 'oh he's a jolly good fellow' love in , I can't countenance that in a competitive game.

Unfortunately that comes across to me as a winning at all costs approach, which is alien to me.

I was raised as a football fan first, Evertonian second, it was that, I thought, which set us apart in that we appreciated the sport regardless, even better if it's done by one of our own, well.

Naismith, imho, made himself one of our own, effort alone got him that, but his off field character made me genuinely proud he was an Everton player.

It's a little bit of humility. It sets us apart. It's reality, realism. It's why we felt pride after that donation up in Sunderland, it brings a human element back to the game. It's pre-Sky, pre premier league, pre money is all there is and success at any costs, we lose little things like that and we become Chelsea, City, Utd and even that other bucket of spew across the park.

So, no, I'm not evading any point, I made it very clear. I am not a corporate whore to sky and success, I'd rather stay an Evertonian thanks.

Unfortunately that comes across to me as a winning at all costs approach, which is alien to me.

I was raised as a football fan first, Evertonian second, it was that, I thought, which set us apart in that we appreciated the sport regardless, even better if it's done by one of our own, well.

Naismith, imho, made himself one of our own, effort alone got him that, but his off field character made me genuinely proud he was an Everton player.

It's a little bit of humility. It sets us apart. It's reality, realism. It's why we felt pride after that donation up in Sunderland, it brings a human element back to the game. It's pre-Sky, pre premier league, pre money is all there is and success at any costs, we lose little things like that and we become Chelsea, City, Utd and even that other bucket of spew across the park.

So, no, I'm not evading any point, I made it very clear. I am not a corporate whore to sky and success, I'd rather stay an Evertonian thanks.
Why mention the donation to help save a young boys life ? That was a completely different scenario to applauding a goalscorer from an opposition side.
As for bringing sky into the debate again totally irrelevant, I was raised in the 60's in Bootle and I felt exactly the same then as I do now.
Sportsmanship is great but my god winning trophies is so much better.

Isn't PC a more recent thing? a few of us on here have flagged up a prominent occasion 40yrs ago (Duncan MacKenzie) when this very same thing happened(If you read the whole thread), I was proud to have been part of almost an entire crowd that applauded a hero of ours that day, It's called sportsmanship and being respectful of someone. maybe it's something of a dying art rather than new fangled political correctness.

If you remember the stick some people gave Naismith when he first arrived before he showed what a hard working decent pro he was for me it would have been a simple task for me to applaud him had I been there.

It's got nothing to do with applauding him mate, I think everyone agrees he deserved applauding before the game and he did. Applauding a goal against your team is different and just smacks of "look how boss and classy we are as fans lads, LADS?!"

Why mention the donation to help save a young boys life ? That was a completely different scenario to applauding a goalscorer from an opposition side.
As for bringing sky into the debate again totally irrelevant, I was raised in the 60's in Bootle and I felt exactly the same then as I do now.
Sportsmanship is great but my god winning trophies is so much better.

If you can't see the relevance then there is no debate.
I was raised in Everton in the 60s, maybe it's a Liverpool/ Sefton thing ;)

Don't know if it has been mentioned but Duncan Mackenzie got a huge cheer when he came back and scored against us for Chelsea.

I think appreciating football and footballers is what makes Everton fans different from the partisan win at all costs bells that can be found packed into certain other stadiums...
Maybe if we were 'win at all costs', we'd actually win something?

If you can't see the relevance then there is no debate.
I was raised in Everton in the 60s, maybe it's a Liverpool/ Sefton thing ;)
Ok then, I would guess that like myself you contributed to the Hillsborough fund and pay your respects annually to those who tragically lost their lives, but.......when the ball is on the pitch I want us to smash them.
Sportsmanship as I said is great but it shouldn't become the be all and end all, if you remove the passion and will to win then what are you left with ? A sanitised sport perfect for the transient post-sky football followers.

I thought it was a really nice touch and an act that separates us as fans from most other clubs.

Naismith always gave 100% when he played for Everton. He may not have been the best player but nobody could doubt the effort he put in and the fact he was an important player to successive managers. He also seemed like a decent bloke for what he did around the community and a bit of a throwback. I wish he didn't leave when you consider we traded him for Niasse.

He had a tough first season but overcame that to win most people round. Never had a bad word to say against the club and we never really got to say goodbye so seemed a nice touch. I put him down with Cahill as a lad who gave everything for the cause everytime he went onto the pitch and you can ask no more. I remember giving Greame Stuart a standing reception for Charlton as he scored the winning goal against us too. It's small things like that that make Everton the football club it is and ultimately bind many of those who have played for us to the club after leaving.

this

stop all your whining, it meant a lot to naisy as you could see

Don't know if it has been mentioned but Duncan Mackenzie got a huge cheer when he came back and scored against us for Chelsea.

I think appreciating football and footballers is what makes Everton fans different from the partisan win at all costs bells that can be found packed into certain other stadiums...
Was there and stood cheering him along with the rest of the crowd.

Can't see what the fuss is about.

It's got nothing to do with applauding him mate, I think everyone agrees he deserved applauding before the game and he did. Applauding a goal against your team is different and just smacks of "look how boss and classy we are as fans lads, LADS?!"

Mike,everyone is perfectly entitled to their opinion but do you think for a minute the fans who applauded Naismith stopped to think to themselves this would be a boss and classy thing to do? It s an automatic 'fair play' response.

Someone said earlier it could be a PC thing that fans clapped, I think it's more a reflect on today's society the fact that some people find it strange that anybody clapped and I can't believe we've gathered 22 pages on the subject debating it.

I'm not saying everybody to a man and woman should have clapped and I'm certainly not questioning why some didn't clap, it was a sporting,spontaneous thing to do and can't understand why the likes of you Mike are questioning that reasoning.

Ok then, I would guess that like myself you contributed to the Hillsborough fund and pay your respects annually to those who tragically lost their lives, but.......when the ball is on the pitch I want us to smash them.
Sportsmanship as I said is great but it shouldn't become the be all and end all, if you remove the passion and will to win then what are you left with ? A sanitised sport perfect for the transient post-sky football followers.

Or tribalism which is what sky et al rely on for their version of football to exist.

It is a 'sport' above all else, take that out and you have only business and supporters just have 'brand loyalty'.

An ex player of impeccable character was clapped. He was a brilliant representative of our club and our 'values' as I see it. I cannot see an issue at all. It didn't affect the outcome, we were poor and got what we deserved.

Status
Not open for further replies.