Match Thread Chelsea v Everton - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
He shouldn't be judged till this time next year imo.

We need a lot of work.

we will be mid table next season as well barring some miracle, top 6 maybe possible the season after if we absolute nail the transfer windows... but I’m not expecting us to have much hope of challenging for Europe for at least a couple years from now.

Oof, admittedly I wondered if we turned up like the 1st half against Utd what would happen - it seems that is what happens.

Not sure what Carlo does about that really - dump the weakest links ? there seem to be a lot of them.

Man for man, do you think Sheffield United have a better squad than us?

Probably not.

But they have been better coached over a very long period of time. They have a strong mentality where they will battle all day to win and keep the ball out of their net. Plus they are used to winning over a prolonged period.

Our problems are deep and largely mentality and psychological. That takes longer to fix. Only consistent performances and expensive recruitment can help us.

I think this is a tough job and will take a long time. There will be lots of tough periods but days like today where we are utterly hammered cant happen often.

Under Moyes it seemed that choosing the best of the teams / lower leagues worked to give us a solid team - but we seemed to have chosen the worst - Burnleys Keane, Swanseas Sigurdsson, Palaces Bolasie

It's interesting to ponder on who has reacted well to Ancelotti - DCL, Richarlison, Gomes, Walcott, Holgate - and who hasn't - Digne, Siggy, Keane, Bernard.

We pressed hard for 45 seconds then nothing. When everton play like this for first 5 mins we know what's coming. The starting line up was asking for it.

Look keane/davis/siggy are totally immobile players. U might get away with 1 of them if they offer something else but the 3 of them together when they offer nothing else has a hammering all over it.

Added to that today poor performances else where and a lack of urgency on and off the ball. Digne failed to cross in numerous times. On the other side sidebe had a nightmare.

Gomes understandable lacked sharpness. He can be forgiven and will be needing game time to get up to speed.

I'd like to see gordan and moise kean more to see what they can offer.

Ps how does keane start in from of mina. Mina was there all through our solid performances. He gets dropped after scoring recently and a player with stones for boots Mickey keane comes in and never looks comfortable.

It was foretold in the stars.

ESldB_zWoAEr5WQ

Oh, that was just spiffing.

One thing I've noticed with EFC (since about 1976) following such hammerings is what appears to be a relatively soft, almost forgiving, general commentary which meekly refers to a mere hiccuppy "bad day at the office."

For some reason, we seem to be excused from overtly damning analyses, instead seeing reporting which often defers to the apparent, fundamental qualities/strengths of certain bods within the squad which mean 'we'll be OK' rather than tearing into us with the righteous gnashing of teeth that is screaming for a richly deserved, organic legacy that should have begun unfurling in the mid-late 80s but, er, didn't...

I simply can't believe how poor that was today (CFC looked like us on a good home day) except like so many seasoned Toffesta, having endured decades of this kind of thing, can and so come away with sanity in vague tact only by virtue of a zen-like objectivity and a curious penchant for Scandanavian 'Viking Metal' which works wonders at such junctures (along with some unspeakably cheap Grappa Gawdknows from the local German.)

Ah, well, onwards! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.