Charity shield

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalblue66

Player Valuation: £70m
Does anyone out there remember the charity shield August 63 EVERTON the CHAMPIONS v Man it'd
At Goodison Park ? Am I right in thinking we had a pen and Royston scored,the ref made him retake it cos
Gaskell the Man U keeper had moved,he then scored,again he had to retake it cos Noel Cantwell had encroached
He then scored again,the 3 pens were all put a foot inside the post on Gaskells right
In the echo/daily post on the following Monday,it was reported that when Royston went to collect the ball to take
It for the 3rd time Gaskell said to Royston "where are you going to put it Taff ? To which Royston replied
Same place (happy days) attend 55,000 Fastest player over the 1st 10/15yds ever seen,ten stone soaking
Wet,did'nt give a fuk for anyone,what price today ?

Does anyone out there remember the charity shield August 63 EVERTON the CHAMPIONS v Man it'd
At Goodison Park ? Am I right in thinking we had a pen and Royston scored,the ref made him retake it cos
Gaskell the Man U keeper had moved,he then scored,again he had to retake it cos Noel Cantwell had encroached
He then scored again,the 3 pens were all put a foot inside the post on Gaskells right
In the echo/daily post on the following Monday,it was reported that when Royston went to collect the ball to take
It for the 3rd time Gaskell said to Royston "where are you going to put it Taff ? To which Royston replied
Same place (happy days) attend 55,000 Fastest player over the 1st 10/15yds ever seen,ten stone soaking
Wet,did'nt give a fuk for anyone,what price today ?

In the pre Wembley Charity Shields how did they decide who was at home? I don't think it was 2 legs then was it?

....I was at that game in 63 but my recollection isn't that great. I remember more clearly the '66 Charity Shield at Goodison. Both sets of players paraded before the game - Ray Wilson and Roger Hunt with the Jules Rimet Trophy (World Cup), Labby had the FA Cup and Yard dog Rowdy Yates had the Championship trophy.
I recall Hunt scoring a 20 yarder in the Gwladys St and us losing 1-0 - things never change.

You must have seen Royston playing for us!!! What a great player,24 league goals62/63
Oh for another as good as him.

In the pre Wembley Charity Shields how did they decide who was at home? I don't think it was 2 legs then was it?

We were the league champions. United were the FA Cup winners.

Although in 1966, the Charity Shield was again played at Goodison, only this time Liverpool were the champions and we were the FA Cup winners.

Must have been a coin toss to decide which club hosted the game.

You must have seen Royston playing for us!!! What a great player,24 league goals62/63
Oh for another as good as him.

...you're talking about Roy Vernon. Top player. I remember growing up and associating him with taking penalties. Skinny as a rake, believe he smoked like a chimney and even had a ciggy in the post match shower. They don't make them like him these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.