Centre Midfield

Status
Not open for further replies.

;)

Obviously, we line up as 4-2-3-1. But we never stick to it.

Issue is Silva likes Gylfi to press on and play alongside the striker when we're out of possession.

In possession, if we win it back high upfield, he's already in a position to do damage. Or, we can work it into him.

I think that's what Silva's going for.

But it means we have to press our midfielders higher.

Look at that graphic above. Our issue is clear. Nobody is in their final third as an avg. The closest is Gylfi.

Issue is Silva likes Gylfi to press on and play alongside the striker when we're out of possession.

In possession, if we win it back high upfield, he's already in a position to do damage. Or, we can work it into him.

Look at that graphic above. Our issue is clear. Nobody is in their final third as an avg. The closest is Gylfi.
Graphic shows the failings of a 4231 pressing system - simple

Use of formations is really just used to help define roles within the coaches system.
Digne is one our most important attacking players but at the end of the day he's still a RB, he comes from that position.
Talking about formations is useful to discuss certain things - despite what Eggs says.

Anyways, Gylfi as a 'second striker' is a compensation for the mess Silva's got himself into

Be interested on your thoughts on my previous post, p.20. Apologies for the length of it.

Siggy is a problem for me. He’s a luxury. Good player but a luxury. 4231, we have 4 attackers there, and as that map above shows, Siggy is the most advanced and he’s supposed to be in Midfield. Either he plays as a 10 or shuffle him out wide to one of the wide areas and let him roam, like the RS did with Coutinho, either way we need to have 3 mobile centre midfielders that graft and can help out defensively or teams will always get chances against us. On Sat, it was Gomes and Morgan, for a time, expecting to win the midfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.