centre midfield pairing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those sides are still a way ahead (although I just don't rate Henderson and Wijnaldum). It all depends on how we want to play, if they're their to destroy and get us on the counter then they will be a good pairing, if we try and play possession football then they are not very creative.

I just feel relieved that we now have two central midfielders that are proper top half standard, it seems like an age since we had that!

Either way, comparing Gana and Schneiderlin to that lot is a lot better than trying to argue with Everton fans telling you Barry McCarthy Barkley is the new holy trinity and Cleverley is the missing piece of the attacking jigsaw.
I can remember when we had one man playing that role as a true defensive midfielder -Lee Carsley!
alla Tim Cahill and Arteta in the engine creative room scoring goals!
the 1970's side all the midfielders were box to box
1980's side Reid and bracewell again box to box players - this new fandangled they sit in front of two centre halves does my head in - no wonder we hardly shoot at goal under RK!

Tom Davies says hi.
Davis will get regular game time alongside Schneiderlin while Gana is away at ACON.

He would get LESS time if we DON'T sign Schneiderlin, because the perception of risk is greater when you put an inexperienced 18 year old in alongside players with massive weaknesses, like Barry (lack of pace), Cleverley (lack of flair and physicality), McCarthy (chronic injuries), Gibson (functioning alcoholism) and Besic (one leg made of glass, the other made of jelly).

When Gana gets back, Davies will regularly come off the bench for 20 minutes here and there, and get the occasional start too. He is only 18, and needs to develop at a reasonable pace rather than having the weight of expectation upon him for 30 starts a season.

What kind of player is Schneiderlin? I have to admit, i've only seen a limited amount of him. Always thought of him as someone who can drive forward well from deep but has to pass it on to the wide players or the strikers with 10 yard balls. I could be completely wrong though.

I don't imagine him to be the type of player who can play a killer through ball or 30 yard cross field passes either.

So we still are missing that creative spark, but the squad is slowly improving. Can't see this signing being good news for McCarthy, Barry or Cleverley though, and possibly Besic. Gibson's days here are surely over.

I can remember when we had one man playing that role as a true defensive midfielder -Lee Carsley!
alla Tim Cahill and Arteta in the engine creative room scoring goals!
the 1970's side all the midfielders were box to box
1980's side Reid and bracewell again box to box players - this new fandangled they sit in front of two centre halves does my head in - no wonder we hardly shoot at goal under RK!

Best football we ever played under Moyes was a period when we had injuries and he was forced to play Arteta and Osman in the centre with Pienaar and Donovan on the wings. Not a holding midfielder in sight yet we mixed it with top sides. Think we did Chelsea and United then drew with Arsenal (should have won).

If Gueye and Schneiderlin are going to go box to box and physically dominate like Reid and Bracewell then fine (although I secretly doubt they can get anywhere near the footballing ability of those two). If they are just going to shield the back 4 then Koeman better have some world class wingers up his sleeve if we want to see some decent football.

What kind of player is Schneiderlin? I have to admit, i've only seen a limited amount of him. Always thought of him as someone who can drive forward well from deep but has to pass it on to the wide players or the strikers with 10 yard balls. I could be completely wrong though.

I don't imagine him to be the type of player who can play a killer through ball or 30 yard cross field passes either.

So we still are missing that creative spark, but the squad is slowly improving. Can't see this signing being good news for McCarthy, Barry or Cleverley though, and possibly Besic. Gibson's days here are surely over.

got an eye for a pass, quick thinking, also adds height for set pieces. wont get an abundance of goals, but hopefully get us a couple.

kind of in the carrick mould, but thats quite player to put him up against. but of that ilk.

Status
Not open for further replies.