Centre Forwards

Status
Not open for further replies.

evertony

Player Valuation: £40m
There’s a theme with all the current centre forwards in the squad which is quite telling, and which to my mind explains why we don’t score enough goals to progress from our regular 7th or 8th spot. All of them are big, bulky units with little pace or technical ability on the ball. I convince s myself of it the last few weeks watching Fraser Hornby.

Calvert-Lewin isn’t a natural finisher unfortunately and visibly either hesitates or leaves his decision making in front of goal too late. Yesterday he had two really good chances and neither even hit the target. It’s said his strengths are his running, chasing and harrying but in truth I don’t recall him bullying a single centre half all last season. We keep saying he’s young and he’ll improve yet we’re apparently chasing Leao and Kean for mega-bucks and both are 19-20?

Cenk is a grafter who can finish, but has zero pace due to his build.

Prince Oumar has workrate galore but technically bereft. Again, a muscular frame but limited pace, awareness and ability.

Fraser Hornby - I don’t know enough about the lad to be honest but in the few preseason games I’ve seen him I really don’t see anything special at all. He’s another big lad for his age but one who seems to lack the basic instinct and positioning for a regular goal scorer. Without being too damning I’ve seen handfuls of forwards with his ability at non-league level so just don’t see what we could expect in the future from him.

Ellis Simms seems to be the exception - his goal scoring record suggests he knows instinctively where the back of the net is. Again, I don’t know enough about him to form a solid opinion other than his goal record. With a goal scoring record like his why isn’t he getting preseason game time in the event we’d likely need him in an emergency once the season is underway? Yesterday we had Walcott and Anthony Gordon filling in up front for spells.

There got to be something tangible as to why all the so-called centre forwards at the Club are so similar in terms of pace, mobility, physical stature and limited technical ability. Their general lack of measurable improvement is also a concern.

Is it the fact that Duncan Ferguson is the main attacking coach? I’m a tad baffled by it to be honest as the theme has been prominent for a while under numerous managers so maybe it’s a Club thing too that we prefer a big old fashioned centre forward?

There’s a theme with all the current centre forwards in the squad which is quite telling, and which to my mind explains why we don’t score enough goals to progress from our regular 7th or 8th spot. All of them are big, bulky units with little pace or technical ability on the ball. I convince s myself of it the last few weeks watching Fraser Hornby.

Calvert-Lewin isn’t a natural finisher unfortunately and visibly either hesitates or leaves his decision making in front of goal too late. Yesterday he had two really good chances and neither even hit the target. It’s said his strengths are his running, chasing and harrying but in truth I don’t recall him bullying a single centre half all last season. We keep saying he’s young and he’ll improve yet we’re apparently chasing Leao and Kean for mega-bucks and both are 19-20?

Cenk is a grafter who can finish, but has zero pace due to his build.

Prince Oumar has workrate galore but technically bereft. Again, a muscular frame but limited pace, awareness and ability.

Fraser Hornby - I don’t know enough about the lad to be honest but in the few preseason games I’ve seen him I really don’t see anything special at all. He’s another big lad for his age but one who seems to lack the basic instinct and positioning for a regular goal scorer. Without being too damning I’ve seen handfuls of forwards with his ability at non-league level so just don’t see what we could expect in the future from him.

Ellis Simms seems to be the exception - his goal scoring record suggests he knows instinctively where the back of the net is. Again, I don’t know enough about him to form a solid opinion other than his goal record. With a goal scoring record like his why isn’t he getting preseason game time in the event we’d likely need him in an emergency once the season is underway? Yesterday we had Walcott and Anthony Gordon filling in up front for spells.

There got to be something tangible as to why all the so-called centre forwards at the Club are so similar in terms of pace, mobility, physical stature and limited technical ability. Their general lack of measurable improvement is also a concern.

Is it the fact that Duncan Ferguson is the main attacking coach? I’m a tad baffled by it to be honest as the theme has been prominent for a while under numerous managers so maybe it’s a Club thing too that we prefer a big old fashioned centre forward?

Niasse isn’t even a proper footballer.

Really?

I think I saw two occasions all season where his pace upset somebody. I’d agree he’s quicker than the others but I don’t see the ability to benefit from that bit of pace.

You mean Vardy type pace? Agreed he's not of that ilk

You mean Vardy type pace? Agreed he's not of that ilk
I mean pace that regularly frightens defenders or which makes opposing teams alter their defensive line to cope with it.
DCL has a bit of pace but he doesn’t cause chaos with it. His natural positioning is limited as is his timing. Watch him closely and you’ll see he mistimes his leap for headers on a regular basis...a group of us in the Paddock commented on it loads last season as it was so frustrating. And we don’t really dislike the lad, just see that he’s a very limited ‘big lad’.

I agree, there's no variety, no blend.

We need some breathing space this season with a striker who can just snap up goals from nothing; a Chicharito type signing.

I mean pace that regularly frightens defenders or which makes opposing teams alter their defensive line to cope with it.
DCL has a bit of pace but he doesn’t cause chaos with it. His natural positioning is limited as is his timing. Watch him closely and you’ll see he mistimes his leap for headers on a regular basis...a group of us in the Paddock commented on it loads last season as it was so frustrating. And we don’t really dislike the lad, just see that he’s a very limited ‘big lad’.

Yeah I get it. I like the lad. Unashamedly so. I agree though we need other options.

I agree, there's no variety, no blend.

We need some breathing space this season with a striker who can just snap up goals from nothing; a Chicharito type signing.
Something in the mould of a fit Louis Saha or a younger Yakubu....natural, instinctive finishers

I’m starting to wonder if people wear blindfolds whenever DCL plays for Everton. He’s absolutely rapid. And defences certainly change their setup when he’s playing vs when say Tosun or Niasse play. Yesterday he put two wide, but also put a decent header on target (overlooked above). Yes he doesn’t have that poacher’s instinct (yet) and isn't a world class finisher. But let’s not allow the low goals return to blind us from everything he’s good at.

Status
Not open for further replies.