cautious positivity

cautious optimism?

• We're actually ace

• Yes things look a little brighter

• Some improvement BUT

• Still doom and gloom

• Are you allowed cheese on toast on your ward?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel exactly the same as I have all season.

Last night told us absolutely nothing that we didn't already know, we're capable of beating the majority of teams in the league at home, and have done so with regularity. We're a midtable side, have been all season. It's just that people lurch from believing we're great to awful depending on what our last result or two was like. Just accept that we are what we are for now, stop thinking we're going to get relegated or that we're going to go on a mad run and push the top 6. We'll finish 8th-10th, and hope to improve in all areas next season.

The Coleman/Walcott link up on the right could very well salvage some hope out of this season. Assuming both stay fit & ready for the run in we'll look a lot healthier. Hopefully Mangala (and eventually Funes Mori) will slot in nicely as well.

Bonus points if Tosun starts acclimatising before the season ends.

I think most of the negativity this season has been centred on our dismal performance in Europe. Our league form has been as it usually is , a bit hit and miss.

I think we have a team, albeit with a few tweaks, that could improve next season.

So some improvement BUT we need to sort a few areas in the club.

Knee jerk following a win?

I am not suggesting for one minute that everything in the garden is rosy, but just a few weeks back the threat of relegation loomed very large, (and yes I'm aware that things could still yet go breasts up.)
I believe however that we are now looking at the teams immediately above us rather than those below.
The return of Seamus was always eagerly anticipated, but the manner of his return and the promise shown in the partnership between him and newly signed Theo Walcott has helped to foster a feeling of cautious optimism.
Despite the reservations (and outright hostility) shown by some, I also believe that the loan signing of Mangala was a no brainer. He is a very experienced, powerful, left footed defender and I think he will prove the doubters wrong and will be a huge boost to our unbalanced defence.
The season has been a nightmare, it's a right off, we have nothing to play for (again) and we will all be happy when it's over, but I am at last actually looking forward to our matches again.

Arsenal are up next at Highbury. Pfft, so what? Bring it on. COYB

Optimism is always good, especially when said with sense.

I agree, Seamus and Walcott could form a great partnership; the pace between them two is scary.

Im also excited about Mangala, he is the right age, did well at Valencia and iv watched him 15/20 games for man city and i think he just isnt suited to pepe style. His not great on the ball, but his aggressive, strong and really fast for a centre half, you don't get french caps especially at centre half if your a poor player.

If Tosun comes good, ill be really excited about the rest of the season.

Mangala is a very decent signing. Young, quick, experienced and left footed. The deal is cheap.

Last time I checked we were 4 points off 7th.

That should be the aim. We should be finishing above Mickey Mouse clubs like burnley and Leicester.

Last night hopefully steers us clear of relegation. Wake me up in July for pre season when hopefully this whole terrible mess of a season can be forgotten.

We have suffered all season from a lack of pace up front and in the defence. We have also suffered from an utter lack of threat down each flank. All this this has been compounded by several senior players being played out of position and a large volume of tinkering with line ups.

Lats night we saw genuine pace and attacking intent down the right flank. We heard that we have just purchased genuine pace for our defence (albeit in loan). We saw Rooney ans Siggurdson being played in the positions they should be nailed onto all season and we saw Gana Gueye played in his favoured position.

The outcome was a good performance and a win, one that would have probably been more convincing had Tosun played in anteam capable of giving him service. We also now have sufficient pace and defensive skills on the left hand side that will means Martina isnt as exposed. All in all, i think there is every reason for cautious optimism. All we need to see now is the manager, leave the core of the team alone and let them gel.

Reactions: kev

Status
Not open for further replies.