2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
The current league champions lost 6 straight home games, mainly to average sides. Chelsea got walloped by a soon to be Championship team.

Everton won our last trophy against a far superior United team, (man for man).

Its called football.
The word regularly is key I think. Failing to win home games against Leeds, Fulham, palace, Newcastle, Burnley and West Ham is fine when each game is taken in isolation. When you don’t beat any of them it’s a problem, and pretty clearly so. I honestly find it strange that this needs explaining.

Yeah, sounds similar to my memory of time under Koeman too.

I didn't mean to make it sound like you were, by the way. I was just keen to get your perspective.
My feeling on Carlo is in a word concerned. The pedigree is not something many managers can top, but the things that I personally look for in a side that say they're good or at least improving have been largely absent from our team. And I'm starting to see a concerning trend where we look competent when James plays and are just grinding out games whenever he isn't on the pitch.

I'm not giving up because I do think the squad has holes and I do think some of the form we've had isn't a total accident either. But I just think ultimately we need to take an ever so slightly longer term view in order to build to a place where we are competitive instead of trying to just do it.

We're 2 points off last season's total with 9 games in hand. We are still in with a shout at Europe. When all of ancelotti's signings have played together, we've been good. This is his 1st full season in the middle of a pandemic. We are still dealing with the fallout from koeman nearly ruining us.

In what way have we not improved? I said it in another thread, this isn't FIFA. Change takes time.

Well said and I agree that we need to cull half our fans

Ancelotti's impact I hope will be far greater than just his league position:

- A win at Anfield
- Positive mentality and a more brave, grown-up attitude.
- A 'bigger person' mentality - he doesn't make excuses, despite the absence of at least one out of Allan, Doucoure, James at all times, as well as DCL, Mina, Digne, Coleman, Pickford on several occassions - all first choice.
- Calm manner well in control
- Improved a few players - DCL, Keane, Holgate, Davies for starters
- Seems to really want to improve, make Everton better, and stay for more than his current contract.
- If he stays for at least 3 years, we will get another few Allan calibre players and maybe one more in the elite category if we get into Europe.

He has brought a change in attitude, profile and seriousness to Everton, and if we take advantage of this we'll see a much bigger improvement. I know everyone has the same excuse, but this season has for some reasons been a write off, and for us in transition it's hard. i know the Away form might flip again, but just imagine if we were at Goodison, some of those draws and losses would have been turned around by the crowd - at least 4-5 points for sure!

I do think we have more good players than Burnley and Palace, but that doesn’t mean we’re a better team than them. The make up of our team is a complete mess, where those sides lack in quality, they at least have competent players playing in their correct positions that can do a half decent job.
They have more balance and team work we have a few good individuals and imbalance. Anyway it's hard to judge it is a weird season without fans I do have criticism of Carlo but I refuse to believe our home record is the same with fans in the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.