2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like I said, both Martinez and Koeman have gone and done a reasonable job when they've had those same top players at their disposal, so if we've tried relatively up and coming managers with no success, and now have tried a celebrated manager and some want him out, where does that leave us?

I suspect most would accept that having a great squad is ultimately what wins you things, and when you change managers with the frequency that we do then that squad gets chopped and changed every few years rather than growing steadily. We've been there, tried that, and it's gotten us nowhere. There comes a point where we just have to say we'll give people time and see where it gets us in a few years.
It probably leaves you looking at a Moyes-type who can ‘manage up’ the players you have got.

It seems the managers we have had and that you have mentioned are all capable of winning with quality which we do not have.

Moyes is the only one who has dragged results out of average to above average players that I can remember at our club.

I will ignore Allardyce as he was here for a very specific task which he accomplished.

It probably leaves you looking at a Moyes-type who can ‘manage up’ the players you have got.

It seems the managers we have had are all capable of winning with quality which we do not have.

Moyes is the only one who has dragged results out of average to above average players that I can remember at our club.
But he ultimately won nothing. I don't see the point in being happy with being "the best of the rest"

But he ultimately won nothing. I don't see the point in being happy with being "the best of the rest"
He has been substantially the best manager we have had in the last 30 years.

Believe me if I thought going for a top tier manager was the solution I wouldn’t have an issue. But we aren’t buying top tier players and therein lies the problem for me.

Like Mourinho, his reputation is diminishing season by season.
When these guys are managing world super stars who self motivate themselves, the question is always asked
" But could they do it further down the leagues with inferior players"
I think with Mourinho and Ancellotti we are getting the answer.

Mourinho’s response when asked this week about Spurs throwing away leads which is uncharacteristic for a Mourinho managed side: “same manager, different players”.

I think another issue besides the players they work with is they both look past it. Mourinho (despite the defensive football filled with all the dark arts (time wasting, play acting etc.) was a great coach, but he looks knackered. That comment in throwing his players under the bus (same manager different players) is of a manager who doesn’t have the fight anymore. Carlo is a different type of manager in that he’s never relied on instilling an ‘us against the world’ mentality that was so successful for Mourinho, but watching Carlo on the touchline yesterday he looked like an old man (it was bloody freezing). Full time he was chatting away with Hodgson like two old timers in an old people’s home. All managers have a shelf life and time will tell if theirs is up. There’s plenty of older managers in the game, but how many are competing at the very top? Can’t think of any that have done so since Fergie.

Believe me if I thought going for a top tier manager was the solution I wouldn’t have an issue. But we aren’t buying top tier players and therein lies the problem for me.
We are buying top tier players. Just not at the rate we need to. That will change with most of our deadwood gone or out of contract in the summer. We will sign another 3 or 4 top players and the team will look significantly different.

I actually agree with you there mate.

Until the usual dross that everyone can name is shipped out, we’ll be locked into this cycle of average nothingness.

It's hard to make good substitutions when you don't have a bench and you have to waste one on Gomes going off injured.

It's also hard to put together dominant home displays without a midfield. As much as we'd love to be able to say Tom Davies is good enough, he's not. Neither is Gomes. By a long, long way. We won't control games until the midfield is sorted. You can't challenge for the top 4 with them playing every game. It's not possible.

These issues will be addressed in the summer. This was a rebuild season. We didn't do enough last summer and have since been really, really unlucky with injuries.

He was the best, and he did it on a shoestring.

The most disappointing aspect of our current predicament is the huge opportunity wasted through poor recruitment.

Ancelotti needs time. It’s pointless getting worked up over problems that are caused by underlying structural issues at the club. They are slowly resolving themselves, and I don’t expect normality until summer 22.

Brands cant afford any more Iwobi mistakes though.

It seems the managers we have had and that you have mentioned are all capable of winning with quality which we do not have.

I will ignore Allardyce as he was here for a very specific task which he accomplished.
And yet he too underperformed massively at Sunderland and Sociedad. Indeed, we should remember that he wasn't offered an extension after his first spell at West Ham either. He's got West Ham playing well at the moment but it's no guarantee.

It's hard to make good substitutions when you don't have a bench and you have to waste one on Gomes going off injured.

It's also hard to put together dominant home displays without a midfield. As much as we'd love to be able to say Tom Davies is good enough, he's not. Neither is Gomes. By a long, long way. We won't control games until the midfield is sorted. You can't challenge for the top 4 with them playing every game. It's not possible.

These issues will be addressed in the summer. This was a rebuild season. We didn't do enough last summer and have since been really, really unlucky with injuries.

The problem is even with the limited bench our 11 on the pitch was better than the opposition's 11 yet time after time we have been beaten this season.

That ultimately raises questions on the management / tactics.

The problem is even with the limited bench our 11 on the pitch was better than the opposition's 11 yet time after time we have been beaten this season.

That ultimately raises questions on the management / tactics.

We missed 6 or 7 chances to score besides the goal.

If DCL or Richarlison could finish their dinner we'd have won comfortably.

Our team is just so unbalanced. With DCL and Richarlison both playing through the middle we've got two good but not great strikers. DCL requires a certain style of play to be effective and in doing so it turns us into a very obvious and easy to read team.

Still can't believe that we were crying out for a wide forward in Jan to push us on, we sign Josh King on a free and don't play him. Clearly he's not good enough but why was he signed in the first place. Just terrible.

It feels like another season where we're crynig for a summer rebuild once again. Some of the performances we've put in at home this season have been nothing short of a disgrace.

Is there anybody who would rather have Moyes right now (who is doing a great job at West Ham credit to him) over Ancelotti who is about to be backed in his second summer where the last one saw us add James, Allan, Doucoure, Godfrey? Injuries have hit the first three unfortunately as they have most of the football world this season but surely everyone can see there’s no glass ceiling under Carlo where Moyes showed his limitations as he could never kick us on to the next level.

Status
Not open for further replies.