2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Allan, JR, Godfey and AD are Ancelotti signings. Makes up 4/11 of the team. Richarlison, DCL and Digne. Some believe these players are among the best in their respective positions in the PL. These players make up 7/11 of the team. Pickford and Keane are English national team players. They may not be top quality, but they are not rubbish. These players make up 9/11 of the team.

Then we have players like Mina, Gomes, Iwobi, Olsen, Gylfi, Coleman who have all been / or are national team players. We also have Kenny who played in the Bundesliga last year, and who I would say is an ok squad player. Furthermore, many rate Holgate highly. My point is not that everyone here is a world-class player, but it is a team that is more than good enough to get into the top 10 in the PL. I think anyone neutral will say that.

What is there to say we won’t finish in the top 10? I’d be amazed if we don’t finish there.

He does change the team around an awful lot, doesn't he? it's not good if we're aiming for consistency but appreciate that fitness issues have forced his hand at times.

I just hope that he's using this season to find out as much as be can about the squad and that it's all ultimately a means to an end. He can't spend too much time trying to find his best team/system though because we'll just do absolutely nothing.

All sounding familiar? Now we have a manager who has us playing on the deck, we play some of the best attacking football in the league, we can cut teams down away from home. we literally can’t do KITAP1, we change formations, we change players, we draw far less games, we’re far more open and exciting even in a loss.

But lo and behold some people don’t want that now, ‘give us a bloke with a philosophy who is building something, a young coach who doesn’t have outdated methods, with a clear formation that he doesn’t change’. Why don’t we just go and get Martinez or Silva back then? We really have come full circle. All these flavour of the month shouts will be forgotten about in a second when they’re relegated in their second season (or even this one the rate some are going)

Bielsa (still currently below us in the table), Pochettino, Hasenhuttl, Nuno - Ancelotti couldn’t wipe his backside on a combined list of their achievements in the game. Bielsa had a decent side at Bilbao and that’s all he’s done as well as failing multiple times to get the championships best team out the division. Poch lost a title race to Leicester and didn’t win a bean with one of the worlds best strikers in his team. Why are we even comparing Ancelotti to them? He might lose one off games to all of them but over the longevity of time one simple truth prevails. Ancelotti wins trophies, loads of them, all the others don’t.

How ironic that the club who hasn’t won a single trophy for 25 years us some fans who are questioning the bloke who is probably the surest bet there is for ending that drought and are instead suggesting managers who have won very little.

I really don’t have a clue what you’re watching you know.

He does change the team around an awful lot, doesn't he? it's not good if we're aiming for consistency but appreciate that fitness issues have forced his hand at times.

I just hope that he's using this season to find out as much as be can about the squad and that it's all ultimately a means to an end. He can't spend too much time trying to find his best team/system though because we'll just do absolutely nothing.

We've used the most players this season of any squad in the league.

What is there to say we won’t finish in the top 10? I’d be amazed if we don’t finish there.
The more I see the more I think Moshiri has reverted to Kenwright's KPI for managers...well Moyes...e.g. anything over 10th is a bonus and if you can throw in the odd cup run to keep the interest up into March, then the jobs a goodun.
... Here you go Carlo, £10.5M a year for 5.5yrs, just steady the ship, safe pair of hands, keep the natives quiet while I get BMD across the line.

I really don’t have a clue what you’re watching you know.

What part isn’t true?

We do play it on the deck far more than under previous managers, sometimes to our own detriment admittedly but it has to start somewhere

Some of the stuff Rodriguez, Richarlison Digne and DCL have produced has been right up there with the best in the league attacking wise.

We put three past Fulham away from home in one half without even playing well. We could have been three up at Spurs, same at Palace. We’ve not had many Everton teams that have carried a threat away from home.

and yeah I thought that even though the two games against Fulham and Leeds were all over the show quality wise, they were much more exciting to watch than games under some managers where we’ve not even had a shot on target.

Maybe Ancelotti has had a look at it and gone ‘you know what, these defenders are rubbish (which they are) and so is my goalkeeper, rather than focusing on getting my world class front three to defend, I’ll let them attack, and we might lose some games but we’ll win some as well, and that’s a better plan than relying on Keane and Pickford to concentrate for more than five minutes’

Losing to Leeds is disappointing, but beating Fulham gets us more points than drawing both games 0-0 with two solid clean sheets which some of our previous managers would have been made up with. Despite some dodgy performances at times it’s only been the Southampton and United games we’ve not been in as a contest. A bounce of the ball of VaR call the other way and we could have beaten Newcastle and Leeds whether undeservedly or not.

Isn’t this what people cried out for? All those fed up by Moyes, Koeman, Allardyce, Silva. ‘I don’t want to see 4231, KITAP1 is killing me, we’ve got no formation flexibility, same names every week, we don’t play it on the deck, we’re awful to watch no excitement at all, we don’t carry threat away from home, I’d rather lose more games if it meant we won more’

All sounding familiar? Now we have a manager who has us playing on the deck, we play some of the best attacking football in the league, we can cut teams down away from home. we literally can’t do KITAP1, we change formations, we change players, we draw far less games, we’re far more open and exciting even in a loss.

But lo and behold some people don’t want that now, ‘give us a bloke with a philosophy who is building something, a young coach who doesn’t have outdated methods, with a clear formation that he doesn’t change’. Why don’t we just go and get Martinez or Silva back then? We really have come full circle. All these flavour of the month shouts will be forgotten about in a second when they’re relegated in their second season (or even this one the rate some are going)

Bielsa (still currently below us in the table), Pochettino, Hasenhuttl, Nuno - Ancelotti couldn’t wipe his backside on a combined list of their achievements in the game. Bielsa had a decent side at Bilbao and that’s all he’s done as well as failing multiple times to get the championships best team out the division. Poch lost a title race to Leicester and didn’t win a bean with one of the worlds best strikers in his team. Why are we even comparing Ancelotti to them? He might lose one off games to all of them but over the longevity of time one simple truth prevails. Ancelotti wins trophies, loads of them, all the others don’t.

How ironic that the club who hasn’t won a single trophy for 25 years us some fans who are questioning the bloke who is probably the surest bet there is for ending that drought and are instead suggesting managers who have won very little.
Good post and I don’t think there’s a groundswell to get rid of the manager - that would be crazy.

We can walk and chew gum at the same time though - respect the managers past successes, acknowledge he’s got a lot of deadwood to shift and query his tactics and selections of late - Newcastle selection was poor and the wingback selections and subsequent subs yesterday hindered rather than helped us. We ended up with delph and doucoure as our wingbacks At the end. Delph,siggy and Gomes on the bench - all one paced midfielders whilst Gordon and nkonkou are kicking their heels - not suggesting they’re some utopian answer but they offer some variety to the options Off the bench.

What part isn’t true?

We do play it on the deck far more than under previous managers, sometimes to our own detriment admittedly but it has to start somewhere

Some of the stuff Rodriguez, Richarlison Digne and DCL have produced has been right up there with the best in the league attacking wise.

We put three past Fulham away from home in one half without even playing well. We could have been three up at Spurs, same at Palace. We’ve not had many Everton teams that have carried a threat away from home.

and yeah I thought that even though the two games against Fulham and Leeds were all over the show quality wise, they were much more exciting to watch than games under some managers where we’ve not even had a shot on target.

What I’ve seen in the last few weeks is us set up for a 0-0 draw away at Newcastle, park the bus for 45 minutes when winning comfortably at Fulham, and fail to create a single chance after falling behind to Leeds and Man Utd. It hasn’t had me on the edge of my seat.

Well, I argued against someone who thought this was unrealistic with today's squad. My argument is that based on Everton's results in the last 5 years in the PL, the expected position should be + - 8. We have also invested heavily in a new manager and new players. So, if this is an expected result, then a good manager should perform better than what is expected. This is how we usually differentiate between the quality between players and coaches.

Well, I argued against someone who thought this was unrealistic with today's squad. My argument is that based on Everton's results in the last 5 years in the PL, the expected position should be + - 8. We have also invested heavily in a new manager and new players. So, if this is an expected result, then a good manager should perform better than what is expected. This is how we usually differentiate between the quality between players and coaches.

i’ll wager we get over 60 points and finish comfortably in the top 10. Even currently we’re just over 1.5 points per game after 10 games. That’s on track for 60 points for the season.

The downfall really started with Gomes drop off in form and Richarlison's suspension - then we have over reacted strongly to the poor defence.

I think this squad is best suited to a 4-3-3 which was what the recruitment clearly was for this year and is where we have played our best football.

I'd rather see Carlo play players in their positions and stick to the formation which best suits our squad which is the attacking three. Let's out score teams as opposed to praying and hoping that we can win 1-0 playing like dribble.

Pickford
Coleman/Kenny Godfrey Keane Delph/Niels
Doucore Allan Gomes
James DCL Richarlison

That should be the team with current injuries.

i’ll wager we get over 60 points and finish comfortably in the top 10. Even currently we’re just over 1.5 points per game after 10 games. That’s on track for 60 points for the season.
Yes, but the next 7-8 games will be defining for the season. I said before the Leeds match that it was going to be a real test for how far we had come, and we did not pass this test. In the next matches we will face really good opposition, but also Burnley and Sheffield U.

Status
Not open for further replies.