2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premier League managers are only ever 5 games from the sack and guess what they are judged on? Results.

You don't think Carlo Ancelotti has the ambition?

Yeah, you are 100% a Russian AI, nobody in the world is this stupid.
I didn't say that Carlo doesn't have the ambition. But I watch the games and the level of play is poor. I'm not saying it is what he wants but it is what it is.

Maybe teams should stop sacking managers all the time?

I didn't say that Carlo doesn't have the ambition. But I watch the games and the level of play is poor. I'm not saying it is what he wants but it is what it is.

Maybe teams should stop sacking managers all the time?
You only have to listen to him speak to know this isn't what he wants, hes trying his best to get results with an injury hit and in some cases some pretty out of form players.

Sure its the managers job to get the players firing, but results are what hes judged on and results are what the club is judged on at the end of the season.

And results are whats hes got.

You only have to listen to him speak to know this isn't what he wants, hes trying his best to get results with an injury hit and in some cases some pretty out of form players.

Sure its the managers job to get the players firing, but results are what hes judged on and results are what the club is judged on at the end of the season.

And results are whats hes got.
And results are eventually not going to be what we get if we don't play better football.

All I'm asking is for him to turn around this turgid stuff. I don't think it is unreasonable. And I also don't think we're going to have the results argument forever if he doesn't.

Anyway I'm going to eat some crabs, y'all have a good night.

And results are eventually not going to be what we get if we don't play better football.

All I'm asking is for him to turn around this turgid stuff. I don't think it is unreasonable. And I also don't think we're going to have the results argument forever if he doesn't.

Anyway I'm going to eat some crabs, y'all have a good night.

He’s been getting a consistent level of results for almost a season and a half. You can’t get that by fluking or edging games.

Some people have forgotten what truly turgid football really is. There’s a difference between defending well and playing on the counter which is what we’ve mostly done under Ancelotti, to just hitting listless long punts up the field which is what we did a lot of the time under Koeman Allardyce and Silva.

Haha - his lungs would go the way of Martinez's hairline.

Why did he get bombed out of Juventus, by the way? I thought they'd keep him on after winning the league.
Many reasons. Juventus and Sarri were never a good fit. But Juventus wanted to renew their style of play and play more modern. They thought it would give them better chances in the CL. The problem was that Sarri, unlike Ancelotti, is not very flexible either when it comes to leadership style or playing style.

When they were knocked out of the CL, it was the end of patience, and was not willing to sacrifice the star players for Sarri's visions. Instead, they left the challenge to Pirlo, which did not go very well. Nor did they give Ancelotti much time when he was hired there.

He’s been getting a consistent level of results for almost a season and a half. You can’t get that by fluking or edging games.

Some people have forgotten what truly turgid football really is. There’s a difference between defending well and playing on the counter which is what we’ve mostly done under Ancelotti, to just hitting listless long punts up the field which is what we did a lot of the time under Koeman Allardyce and Silva.
Here’s an interesting factoid

48 prem games and only 5 wins by more than 1 goal

That is technically one “convincing” victory in approximately every 10 prem games

We can’t even beat newly promoted sides convincingly anymore except 10 man West Brom

Now you could argue that our narrow victories are convincingly won so the stats don’t tell the whole truth yet we haven’t outplayed 11 men at home since 1st March 2020. Take a look at our last home game against Burnley a side who literally defend when they take the lead yet when we went 2-0 down we still had less shots on target than our opponent at the end of the game.

Last edited:

That is technically one “convincing” victory in approximately every 10 prem games

We can’t even beat newly promoted sides convincingly anymore except 10 man West Brom

Now you could argue that our narrow victories are convincingly won so the stats don’t tell the whole truth yet we haven’t outplayed 11 men at home since 1st March 2020. Take a look at our last home game against Burnley a side who literally defend when they take the lead yet when we went 2-0 down we still had less shots on target than our opponent at the end of the game.
Fans make a difference to Everton. We’re emotional. The lack of fans has removed much of the passion at Goodson, so I’m not worried about that stat. It will reverse.

Furthermore, Everton need a good period of stability to sort out the squad. Im not sure how we could play sparkling dominating football with the injury problems we’ve had and sheer number of duds. This summer, more of the long term issues will be sorted and space created for better players.

Th3 players Carlo and Brands signed last summer were much better and had a good impact. Another summer like that and we’ll feel in a much better position.

Another interesting fact is in all competitions Carlo has a 49.1% win percentage which is the 4th best in our history behind Kendall Molyneix and Catterick who all had far better teams relative to their competition. It’s also the best in our PL history by a long way ahead of Martinez on 42%. So I’d rather be consistently winning these games by any means necessary than consistently getting battered.

Give me 4 1-0 wins in a row under Carlo than us handsomely beating a bottom 13 side at home then not winning away from home or at the top 6 which is pretty much what most of other prem managers have delivered.

Ancelotti is the man to start our revolution. Hopefully he is hear when we start winning trophies. He is a proven winner and that is something you can't teach. You either have it or you don't. We need to get him a few more players in the summer and I honestly believe we could be the biggest challenge to Man City next season.

Another interesting fact is in all competitions Carlo has a 49.1% win percentage which is the 4th best in our history behind Kendall Molyneix and Catterick who all had far better teams relative to their competition. It’s also the best in our PL history by a long way ahead of Martinez on 42%. So I’d rather be consistently winning these games by any means necessary than consistently getting battered.

Give me 4 1-0 wins in a row under Carlo than us handsomely beating a bottom 13 side at home then not winning away from home or at the top 6 which is pretty much what most of other prem managers have delivered.
His win percentage is impressive but it doesn’t really tell the whole truth.

If we don’t score the first goal I am almost certain we won’t make a comeback and win that game against any prem league opposition. The best result we might get is a draw.

When we score first I don’t get the impression that we are going to see out the rest of the game in style and cruise to victory instead it always ends up being a defensive display for the last 30 minutes and waiting for that final whistle to blow.

I guess I thought that a world class coach would be able to turn you average player into a great player but it seems that in order to play to his style we have to bring in new players rather than work with the ones that are already at our disposal and don’t get me wrong as much as we dislike certain individuals at our club like sigurdsson or Gomes or delph we have still got a squad of players that we paid over 400 million pounds for so there is some talent in there

Is it too much to expect this squad to be able to comfortably beat the likes of West Ham, Bournemouth, Newcastle, Burnley etc at home?

Maybe it will be different when fans are back in the stadium but it shouldn’t be. That is not what coaching is about.

If we don’t score the first goal I am almost certain we won’t make a comeback and win that game against any prem league opposition. The best result we might get is a draw.

When we score first I don’t get the impression that we are going to see out the rest of the game in style and cruise to victory instead it always ends up being a defensive display for the last 30 minutes and waiting for that final whistle to blow.

I guess I thought that a world class coach would be able to turn you average player into a great player but it seems that in order to play to his style we have to bring in new players rather than work with the ones that are already at our disposal and don’t get me wrong as much as we dislike certain individuals at our club like sigurdsson or Gomes or delph we have still got a squad of players that we paid over 400 million pounds for so there is some talent in there

Is it too much to expect this squad to be able to comfortably beat the likes of West Ham, Bournemouth, Newcastle, Burnley etc at home?

Maybe it will be different when fans are back in the stadium but it shouldn’t be. That is not what coaching is about.
Can’t agree with any of that. Think we are much better at coming back from a goal down than in previous seasons. Much more confident if this.
Think we are also much better at closing out wins even if we are having to defend deep at the end.
Also think he has improved many players.
but yes, our home form is awful. We have played absolutely crap in many games and we, as fans can still tell after 5 minutes whether we are up for it and in it or we are going to have a sticker. So still lots of work to be done

I think the win % does tell the whole truth to to be honest. Results are everything. We have a certain profile of the squad that Carlo can’t change. Despite what has been spent on it it has numerous limitations particularly in midfield and right back and particularly when injuries take away any of our top players.

Carlo’s job is to get the best results possible for this squad. I think he’s done that. No one would swap having less points but having the odd nice 3-0 win over Burnley at home. We’ve had all that under Koeman and Silva putting the bottom 13 away at home but it didn’t move us forward as a club.

The league table does tell the whole story eventually, it shows consistency. Carlo’s detractors though see every dropped point as evidence of his failings whereas any win is seen as lucky, we edged it, unsustainable etc.

What’s clear from this season, but also from Carlo’s career, is that if he has better players he plays better football with them. He’s not a deluded moron like Martinez who tries to play the same way with Kone and Cleverley on the wings as he did with Mirallas and Deulofeu. It seems some are just expecting this miracle to occur where awful players like Davies and Siggurdson suddenly turn into superb midfielders who allow us to dominate games and just dispatch good premier league teams home and away by multiple goals. It isn’t going to happen under any manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.