2019/20 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had Martinez, Silva, Ancelotti as coaches within a short span of time and despite what everyone says how great each coach was in their previous capacities, we still have the same problems:

- lack of midfield pace
- everyone passes backwards and sideways
- cannot string more than 3 passes before being disposessed
- when the opponents have the ball, we never seem to have the energy and tenacity to win it back

Three different coaches and noone can solve it. Is this an Everton problem?

Unfair on Martinez I think.....he didn't have the funds the others did

I'll be delighted if we bring in ready made players- our problem over the years is signing either yooth prospects like Kean or over the hill players like Delph/Walcott.

Need players hungry in their prime.

What hungry 'in their prime' players are there who would:

Choose us over a top 4 side
Choose us over staying at their current club
Not cost huge fees / wages
Not have frequent injury issues
Not have failed at a club before

I can tell you that the list is limited.

Best bet is 18-25 year olds before they get snapped up.

He is not gonna slate players publicly. If you want that to happen then you will need a different manager.

Either he rates Pickford so will be trying to encourage him.

Or he doesn't rate Pickford and wants to get a good fee for him from another club, so saying he's crap is hardly sound logic.

Or he hasn't made up his mind yet regarding Pickford and whether to prioritise that position, so he will go down the route of encouragement in the hope he finds form.

I would lean towards it being the latter option with Ancelotti. He will be weighing up whether spending a large amount of our budget on a keeper is worthwhile this summer. I would like to replace Pickford, but I think it's very unlikely this summer as money will be limited, and the manager will prioritise midfield.

Spot on.

I’d be seething if I was him. He knows his rep in the game and how much of a coup it was for us to get him and our players end up giving what, a month and a half of effort before reverting to absolutely phoning it back in once the season re starts.

Really? I think the opposite.

I bet hes looking at this and excited to build something over the next 5 seasons minimum.

Shape something exactly how he wants it.

yes he can, his name alone will attract them if we don’t as a club but we will as he will sell it to them
mate, you need to wake up, we are miles behind everyone, the worst team i have seen this season is Everton, the worst team I saw last season was Everton, we quite simply cannot attract top level players, if we could we would be signing Werner, Zayech, instead we are waiting on some half arsed Brazilian no one has heard of, while he is clearly waiting for something better, that's why we end up spending millions on second rate crap, the team is awash with them, and from what i have seen from Ancelotti so far he is out dated. past his best, that's why he is here.
Remember Man City getting Mancini, then signing Tevez, thats the equivalent of us

mate, you need to wake up, we are miles behind everyone, the worst team i have seen this season is Everton, the worst team I saw last season was Everton, we quite simply cannot attract top level players, if we could we would be signing Werner, Zayech, instead we are waiting on some half arsed Brazilian no one has heard of, while he is clearly waiting for something better, that's why we end up spending millions on second rate crap, the team is awash with them, and from what i have seen from Ancelotti so far he is out dated. past his best, that's why he is here.
Remember Man City getting Mancini, then signing Tevez, thats the equivalent of us

Got Napoli to 2nd in Serie A last season? Obviously past it.

Up to this week we were 5th in points gained since he took over.

He has literally signed nobody for the first team.

And you're saying he's finished after less than half a season.

You people don't deserve Carlo

I wouldn’t blame him for walking away if he’s expected to carry on with most of the same crop of players next season. I’m not expecting us to make massive changes but he needs at least 5/6 players for things to change drastically and I can’t see that happening. This current crop are the most useless inept team of bottlers I’ve had the misfortune of watching. Even after a break and a new season approaches you know what you’re going to get from most of these useless oafs we call footballers at our club.

While I agree with the points you are making but its harsh to throw Ancelotti in that category already given that he is working with a squad that he has inherited. Since the restart our defense shape has improved we just dont have players in the midfield that are capible of playing at the level that we need them to. If we still have these problems after he has had a change to sign players then there would reason to assume there is an underlying problem of not having the appeal to bring in the needed players or not having the development staff in place to be able to grow players on our own.

Agree with this mate - mostly. The way I see it in the short period since he's been here he's started with the fundamentals ie. fixing our defensive structure - which tbf was non-existent when he arrived.

You can see he's made us better there, but in doing so and getting the whole team to focus on that, the attacking part and the what we do when we actually get the ball bit is not there yet. Hopefully that's the next phase of his development for the team - when he has a couple more match-winners in the ranks too.

You have to say he’s fixed a lot of things defensively, before he arrived Digne was the only defender showing anything . I do have a concern though about what I’ve seen the last two games , particularly last night. At home we had 39% possession, held on for a point by having three full backs in a back five , and ended with a midfield three of Bernard, Davies and Sigursson who struggle to make a tackle each in some games . DCL looks lost at times and going back to his bad ways of last season. We are where we are with the players we’ve got, but I’m expecting some improvements across the team , Carlo can’t keep on relying on switching to 5 across the back to hold onto a win / draw at home.

Really? I think the opposite.

I bet hes looking at this and excited to build something over the next 5 seasons minimum.

Shape something exactly how he wants it.

I am sure he was excited by the challenge but I do think he was probably equally excited by £10m a season in his back pocket.

As I said when he arrived, he hasn't a job like this 20 odd years. We're all hoping and praying he can turn us round but it's far from a given. His biggest problem is the challenge from other teams. This league is filled with so much money that it's a struggle to get into the top 7, never mind maintain that over a consistent period. Look at Spurs who have fallen off the radar this year.

This weird, non press thing he seems to employ really perplexes me. They go in ones or at best two's whilst the rest of the team stay static to their position, sitting deep mostly. It's completely ineffectual and makes it so easy to play out under zero pressure for the opposition.

You only have to look at Southampton yesterday to see how impactive a proper press is, it totally nullified us in the first half. Indeed, most teams we have played have pressed and harried our side far, far more impressively than we have under any manager we have had since bobby's first season. It's embarrassing how poor we are at closing down the space, it's almost just paid lip service...

Carlo ain't exempt from critic because of his history, football has changed massively since his really successful days, he needs to adapt too or it will be a similar story to his time at Napoli, for whom he was bagged off for being so negative and employing weird defensive shapes for a team who were perhaps the best attacking unit in that league, he stiffifled them.

I accept we don't have the players to challenge, neither do Southampton, but what Southampton and other have which we don't, is a style of play, a style of press, an organised unit, a high press, players working for each other. Now it took Ralf at saints quite a while to impose that,which is now reaping rewards for them, but we don't even seem to be working towards a shape or a style of play, it's just a random formation change here and there, with players filling a position but with now idea how to play together in that formation. Now that is a concern.

This weird, non press thing he seems to employ really perplexes me. They go in ones or at best two's whilst the rest of the team stay static to their position, sitting deep mostly. It's completely ineffectual and makes it so easy to play out under zero pressure for the opposition.

You only have to look at Southampton yesterday to see how impactive a proper press is, it totally nullified us in the first half. Indeed, most teams we have played have pressed and harried our side far, far more impressively than we have under any manager we have had since bobby's first season. It's embarrassing how poor we are at closing down the space, it's almost just paid lip service...

Carlo ain't exempt from critic because of his history, football has changed massively since his really successful days, he needs to adapt too or it will be a similar story to his time at Napoli, for whom he was bagged off for being so negative and employing weird defensive shapes for a team who were perhaps the best attacking unit in that league, he stiffifled them.

I accept we don't have the players to challenge, neither do Southampton, but what Southampton and other have which we don't, is a style of play, a style of press, an organised unit, a high press, players working for each other. Now it took Ralf at saints quite a while to impose that,which is now reaping rewards for them, but we don't even seem to be working towards a shape or a style of play, it's just a random formation change here and there, with players filling a position but with now idea how to play together in that formation. Now that is a concern.

I don't think the squad is fit enough to press tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.