2019/20 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
I expect nothing but midtable this season.

Next season with 2 windows under his belt, and hopefully getting many of the Koeman-Brands tat out, I'd expect at least an assault on the top 6 if not quite managing it.

Season 3, with 4 windows behind him and a couple of seasons to get his formation settled and tactics across, I'd expect top 6.

As long as this feller is allowed to get on with his job he'll get us into Europe in three seasons (maximum).
Agree with most of that but he needs to be progressing us by at least season two. I am not sure managers get three seasons of no progression anymore.

Dave every manager has been financially backed since Moshiri took over, trouble was Koeman bought so much crap, it's taken us an age to get rid of and are still trying.
If Ancelotti has been promised a war chest I'm sure he'll get it, just need to attract them that's all. :)

There is another issue that still persists though, mate.

Brands also bought a shedload of sub-standard players, so it's what role that he plays in determining and securing targets.

I was reading yesterday, how true it is i'm not sure, that Carlo is used to focusing primarily on the Footballing side and, though he'll naturally have input in transfer targets, he's been happy in the past to delegate and work with DOF's and other similar club structures.

In that respect, I expect there will be cash to spend but Brands will still be doing much of the scoping and leg-work, albeit his job is much easier as players will naturally want to work with Ancelotti over most other managers in the game.

I think that timeline sounds about right.

I don't think it's realistic (or fair) to expect to qualify for the Europa League via the league this season or next. Of course, he could win the FA Cup this year and jump us a few steps ahead of schedule.

If the funds are there then you'd expect we'll have a good go at finishing 6th next year. Depending on how many of the current crop we've managed to shift out and the quality of players he's brought in, then that may or may not be realistic. It's probably more likely, as you say, that we'll just miss out. But we should have more than enough to finish 7th, which will also likely secure us Europa League Football for the 2021/22 season.

If he manages that sooner (or over-achieves in other ways) then he'll just be re-affirming what an incredible manager he is. But I think it's fair that we hold him to the same standards we would've expected of any manager that came in after Silva.
I'm very confident of that schedule.

Ancelotti is a top manager, for sure; but this league is also well over-rated. With a manager who can adapt in-game, and has decent players he trusts to carry out his message, a team can thrive.

Agree with most of that but he needs to be progressing us by at least season two. I am not sure managers get three seasons of no progression anymore.

What do you consider 'progression'?

Assuming that next season is 'season two' also.

Dave every manager has been financially backed since Moshiri took over, trouble was Koeman bought so much crap, it's taken us an age to get rid of and are still trying.
If Ancelotti has been promised a war chest I'm sure he'll get it, just need to attract them that's all. :)

Ancelotti will spend less and better.

Just get that divvy Brands out of his way.

What do you consider 'progression'?

Assuming that next season is 'season two' also.
Top ten I guess. I don't think the squad is as bad as it is been made to look right now(we have some key injuries and will improve especially if we if we can add three good players to the spine(CB, CM, ST) and the league isn't that good. Yes it will take time and I am prepared to give him three to four seasons if he shows we are going in the right direction. Yes it won't happen overnight but as have to see something I had the same terms of assessment of Silva but he took us backwards.

i hope he will be good here but seems unlikely for me. i dont get carried away i am a realistic person sorry for that

The mistakes of previous windows are laid bare for all to see, Ancelotti won't have to be told about them.

The scattergun approach has to stop.

If we are limited to two signings per window and players that will prove to be value for money and can make a quick impact, then that is infinitely better than bringing in five or six players and still leaving gaps.

Quality over quantity has to be the standard from now on and one that is rigidly adhered to.

If this means we take another season or two to get where we want to be, no complaints here. Ancelotti has 4 1/2 years to work his spell. Let him do it methodically and with that quiet ruthlessness he will bring.

Top ten I guess. I don't think the squad is as bad as it is been made to look right now(we have some key injuries and will improve especially if we if we can add three good players to the spine(CB, CM, ST) and the league isn't that good. Yes it will take time and I am prepared to give him three to four seasons if he shows we are going in the right direction. Yes it won't happen overnight but as have to see something I had the same terms of assessment of Silva but he took us backwards.

I think there's no reason he couldn't have us around 10th by the end of this season, to be honest. I personally wouldn't see that as progression as we started out this season with the aim to break the top six. That has to remain the aim for next season too, but it's obviously really hard and it's not something many clubs achieve in one summer. The goal next season, irrespective of the ins and outs before then, will be 6th. You don't bring in a legendary manager, make them the 3rd highest paid manager in the league and give them 'reasonable' expectations.

I think most would agree that there is a sizeable gulf in quality and resources between the established top six and the rest of the league. Right now, the likes of Leicester and Wolves are experiencing their best moments in years, and that happens to have coincided with United, Arsenal and Spurs being at their worst points in years, but they still have far better teams and will inevitably come back strong. Whether or not that will be imminent, who knows.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is another issue that still persists though, mate.

Brands also bought a shedload of sub-standard players, so it's what role that he plays in determining and securing targets.

I was reading yesterday, how true it is i'm not sure, that Carlo is used to focusing primarily on the Footballing side and, though he'll naturally have input in transfer targets, he's been happy in the past to delegate and work with DOF's and other similar club structures.

In that respect, I expect there will be cash to spend but Brands will still be doing much of the scoping and leg-work, albeit his job is much easier as players will naturally want to work with Ancelotti over most other managers in the game.

Think that's an exaggerating a little, a shed load ? I would class Gomes, Bernard, Digne, Sidibe and Richarlison as decent signings. While the likes of Mina, Kean, Iwobi and Gbamin, have I think a lot more to give or show. They are all a marked improvement on most of the crap Koeman bought. We add three more class players through our spine, centre half, bin Keane, centre mid and a main striker, get a bit of luck with injuries, been horrendous really this season and in my opinion we could challenge top six easily.

The mistakes of previous windows are laid bare for all to see, Ancelotti won't have to be told about them.

The scattergun approach has to stop.

If we are limited to two signings per window and players that will prove to be value for money and can make a quick impact, then that is infinitely better than bringing in five or six players and still leaving gaps.

Quality over quantity has to be the standard from now on and one that is rigidly adhered to.

If this means we take another season or two to get where we want to be, no complaints here. Ancelotti has 4 1/2 years to work his spell. Let him do it methodically and with that quiet ruthlessness he will bring.

It's a reasonable enough plan but billionaires are rarely patient, neither are players.

If you sign a Champions League level player and don't give them Champions League Football, within a season or two, they'll start to agitate.

I think, again just my opinion, we need to sign players who can grow with us. A bit like Richarlison. Don't aim for the finished article, but experienced young players who are prepared to be a part of a 3-4 year project to reach the Champions League.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ancelotti will spend less and better.

Just get that divvy Brands out of his way.

Newsflash Dave, managers don’t do the spending anymore, Ancelotti knows the score with DoFs having worked under them previously. There will be more of a unified stance on players now than Walsh with Koeman and Brands with Silva

Silva had this squad and finished 8th, If Carlo is as good as he's made out to be he should be aiming for at least the same, we are only 6 points behind after all

Status
Not open for further replies.