2019/20 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
If this does not warm you to him then nothing will

I'm not comparing Everton to those teams, nor am I comparing our achievements to theirs. I'm simply saying that, by my definition of a 'big club', if you extend Everton's historical success into the equation, which isn't in the last 30 odd years then you'd have to look at the success of other clubs outside of that period too. Why only go back to 1963? Sunderland have 6 titles, the same as Man City and Chelsea, most of which were won in the 1800s, why aren't they applicable by your logic?

My premise is that any 'big club' must have a track record of recent success and by including clubs without that, such as us, it dilutes the meaning of 'big club' to such an extent that the term loses all consequence anyway.
I wonder if it's an age thing. I was 18 when Everton won the league in 1963 and 50 when they won the FA Cup in 1995. Over 30 years of regularly
winning trophies. It doesn't feel like a lifetime ago and it's not as though we've been going through a period of dropping down through the leagues since.
We still play the top six twice a year and usually finish in the top half and have done since I was in short pants. Supporting Everton doesn't feel like
being a fan of a 'small' club. Your recent is a lot different from mine. Spurs are in the top six. What have they won? What did Chelsea win pre Abramovich?
Liverpool have won a few cups this century but they haven't won the league for just about as long as Everton. I have lots more statistics about 'big' clubs
but I'll stop there.

I wonder if it's an age thing. I was 18 when Everton won the league in 1963 and 50 when they won the FA Cup in 1995. Over 30 years of regularly
winning trophies. It doesn't feel like a lifetime ago and it's not as though we've been going through a period of dropping down through the leagues since.
We still play the top six twice a year and usually finish in the top half and have done since I was in short pants. Supporting Everton doesn't feel like
being a fan of a 'small' club. Your recent is a lot different from mine. Spurs are in the top six. What have they won? What did Chelsea win pre Abramovich?
Liverpool have won a few cups this century but they haven't won the league for just about as long as Everton. I have lots more statistics about 'big' clubs
but I'll stop there.

My recent is in the last 20 years. That’s a long time in anybody’s book. If you consider the 80’s recent then perhaps you’re some form of deity.

My recent is in the last 20 years. That’s a long time in anybody’s book. If you consider the 80’s recent then perhaps you’re some form of deity.
Deity? High praise, indeed. Your recent is far too brief to make a useful judgement and in the case of the number trophies won by clubs like Aston Villa,
Huddersfield, Sunderland and Newcastle to name a few, well, they were won long before I was born and that's not recent, even for me.

Oh, I'm going to bed - it's nearly 11.00pm here and I've got a big day tomorrow.

How is it negative to say that on a glittering CV like his, the most impressive bits are the ones where he won League titles and European Cups, rather than the last two jobs he had where his achievements were less impressive?

I don’t need to ‘claim’ anything, I know I’m absolutely delighted with the appointment and I’m as excited as I’ve been about Football in a long time.

But people saying things like “it’s an achievement to finish 2nd with Napoli” or “it’s an achievement to win a league with Bayern” when the stats patently don’t bear that out, I feel compelled to point that out - he has far more prominent success to focus on if that’s the aim.

Winning the league with Man City and getting Newcastle promoted aren’t achievements either but you made certain managers out to be gods for doing it.

Deity? High praise, indeed. Your recent is far too brief to make a useful judgement and in the case of the number trophies won by clubs like Aston Villa,
Huddersfield, Sunderland and Newcastle to name a few, well, they were won long before I was born and that's not recent, even for me.

Oh, I'm going to bed - it's nearly 11.00pm here and I've got a big day tomorrow.

Fair enough, to each his own, right?

Best wishes, mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.