2019/20 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carlo Ancelotti has a plan for ending Everton's 24-year trophy drought: beat Liverpool, win FA Cup.

Carlo Ancelotti has immediately set his sights on ending Everton’s 24 year wait for silverware by winning the FA Cup - and dealing another defeat to Liverpool.

Ancelotti, who was formally unveiled as Everton’s new manager on Monday, is the only person to inflict defeat on Jurgen Klopp this season after beating Liverpool 2-0 with Napoli in the Champions League in September.

The Italian has won seven of his 12 games against Liverpool and wants to claim an eighth victory in the FA Cup third round on January 5th when the Merseyside rivals meet at Anfield in a game Ancelotti hopes will kickstart a triumphant run to Wembley.
Ancelotti hopes to turn Everton into a top-four club in time but believes a first trophy since the 1995 FA Cup could be a catalyst.
He hopes his impressive personal record against Liverpool - whom he defeated in the 2007 Champions League final with AC Milan two years after a dramatic penalty shoot-out defeat in Istanbul - continues next month.

Carlo Ancelotti, then head coach of Napoli, versus Liverpool in September Credit: Photo by Laurence Griffiths/Getty Images
“For a top club, victory is to win trophies, to win the league,” Ancelotti said. “For other clubs, the victory ... for example, the goal for Everton in this period is to try to be as close as possible to the top of the table in this period. This can be a victory. We can also fight for the FA Cup. Why not? We don’t have an easy game, but against Liverpool, the Evertonians know my score against Liverpool. I think they will be happy for this. We [Napoli] beat Liverpool this season. They are a big rival but this is a good motivation for us. They are not used to losing.

“It was a good day for me [with Napoli] and I know how Everton supporters are when they beat Liverpool. We don’t have to wait long. We have the game on 5th January. Nothing is impossible.”
Ancelotti, who plans to live in Liverpool, spent part of Sunday walking around the city being greeted by both Everton and Liverpool fans. Asked what the reaction was from Liverpool supporters, Ancelotti joked: “They are afraid. They are worried to see me because I beat them a lot of times!

“I am going to live in the city, of course. I don’t know the people really well [yet] but most of them are generous, really kind with me. Yesterday I was walking in the city, everyone was kind, a lot of pictures. Liverpool is a football city. You can smell there is football everywhere here.”

Zlatan Ibrahimovic, with whom Ancelotti worked at Paris St-Germain, is believed to be open to a reunion with the Italian at Everton after 18 months playing for Los Angeles Galaxy in the US. But Ancelotti played down the prospect of teaming up with the 38-year-old Swede .

"Zlatan Ibrahimovic is a good friend of mine,” he said. “Fortunately I have trained a lot of good players. He has finished his career in the USA and I don’t know what his idea is. I have to call him. If he wants to come to Liverpool to enjoy, he can come. But not to play.”
Ancelotti said he had sought no assurances about the size of transfer budget he will have in next month’s transfer window beyond being satisfied that the club “wants to be competitive in the Premier League” and that his priority was to unlock the squad’s potential.

Ancelotti said he met with Duncan Ferguson - who had been in interim charge since Marco Silva’s sacking at the start of the month - and was pleased to include the Scot on his backroom staff.
“I am used to working with an assistant from the club,” he said. “I had [Claude] Makelele at PSG, [Zinedine] Zidane at Real Madrid, [Willy] Sagnol at Bayern Munich. He [Ferguson] knows really well the characteristics of the players, the atmosphere at the training ground.”

Imagine that actually looking at what a manager has achieved over the last four or five years, For me we should of been looking for a Coach who is ahead of the curve. If we were going to make someone the 3rd best paid coach in Europe then we should of been looking for someone with recent success.
If you're going to post regularly on a public forum you should brush up on your understanding of the English language and not make the mistake of
typing should of when you meant should have.

Imagine that actually looking at what a manager has achieved over the last four or five years, For me we should of been looking for a Coach who is ahead of the curve. If we were going to make someone the 3rd best paid coach in Europe then we should of been looking for someone with recent success.
:Blink:

It wasn’t the management at Bayern, but the players:

“Robben, Neuer, Müller and Boateng as well as Lahm and Alonso last season complained to the Bayern board about Carlo's training methods. They felt he didn't improve the team or the players. Robben specifically said his son received better training with his youth team than Bayern did with Ancelotti. When the players organized individual training sessions on their own, Ancelotti forbade them. Players then moved to a different location for those training sessions.

“His fitness coach was smoking in the locker room and didn't do sufficient warm-up training (according to Kicker: Sometimes only 3 minutes).

“Ahead of the game against PSG, for the first time (!!) during his tenure in Munich, video analysis were made, but their results didn't enter the preparation for the game.

“There was no in-game coaching. All Ancelotti told them during the draw against Wolfsburg at HT was "you have to watch out better".

“Kimmich, Coman and Boateng were thinking about leaving the club.

“The team atmosphere was toxic because Ancelotti seemed to favour the Spanish players without an apparent reason.”

Yeah I mentioned the players ousted him. But the Bayern ownership got rid of him so quickly. One month into the new season after winning the Bundesliga, you would think you get a bit of slack.

Everton won 8 major trophies between 1963 and 1995. This during a continuous run of 65 seasons in the top flight. They have finished in the top half of the league in 8 of the last 10 seasons. Some of those clubs in your top 6 haven't been competing at that level during that time. There's one difference in our
definitions. To compare Everton to the likes of Huddersfield, Sunderland and the others you mentioned further weakens your argument.

I'm not comparing Everton to those teams, nor am I comparing our achievements to theirs. I'm simply saying that, by my definition of a 'big club', if you extend Everton's historical success into the equation, which isn't in the last 30 odd years then you'd have to look at the success of other clubs outside of that period too. Why only go back to 1963? Sunderland have 6 titles, the same as Man City and Chelsea, most of which were won in the 1800s, why aren't they applicable by your logic?

My premise is that any 'big club' must have a track record of recent success and by including clubs without that, such as us, it dilutes the meaning of 'big club' to such an extent that the term loses all consequence anyway.

One of the most highly decorated manager still working in the game.....is a risk? Can't find the words

Akanee spake

Yes, absolutely, any manager we could have chosen would represent a risk.

Everything in life is a risk. Ancelotti is a risk that the vast majority of supporters that the board decided on, are behind. Are you being contrarian or do you believe we should have hired an alternative?

You asked me if I thought he was a risk. I told you I thought he was. If all managers represent a risk then the answer would have been the same irrespective of the appt.

That's not being contrarian. I have my doubts about the fella but let's not get this twisted, I'm 100% behind Ancelotti, i'm really excited to see how we develop as a team over the next couple of years. From a PR perspective, for the club it's brilliant but the point I repeatedly made at the time was that Ancelotti is overqualified for the task we require him for.

If, and it's a big if, he get's the PSG / City levels of spending to propel us up the league as quickly as those clubs did, then he can and will be an excellent appointment. If we aren't going to do that, which given we'll need to fund a new stadium I highly doubt that we will, then I believe there are less risky appointments that we could have made.

Yes, absolutely, any manager we could have chosen would represent a risk.

You asked me if I thought he was a risk. I told you I thought he was. If all managers represent a risk then the answer would have been the same irrespective of the appt.

That's not being contrarian. I have my doubts about the fella but let's not get this twisted, I'm 100% behind Ancelotti, i'm really excited to see how we develop as a team over the next couple of years. From a PR perspective, for the club it's brilliant but the point I repeatedly made at the time was that Ancelotti is overqualified for the task we require him for.

If, and it's a big if, he get's the PSG / City levels of spending to propel us up the league as quickly as those clubs did, then he can and will be an excellent appointment. If we aren't going to do that, which given we'll need to fund a new stadium I highly doubt that we will, then I believe there are less risky appointments that we could have made.

Carlo has bought into the vision of our owners ( just like he did at PSG ) . After a row with owner at Napoli , it makes complete sense he wanted to be convinced with vision and expectation of owners , and he bought our vision . Why do people feel it is a risk for either party .
We may not be a top 6 club currently but we have big ambitions and he just agreed to join the ride . It is a win win for everyone . He needed a club with a vision and we needed a top manager . Merry Christmas to all parties :D :D

I hope he puts the players through their paces; cba with a really passive side like reports say of his training.

I quite like his analogy about 'too much water killing the plants'. It really depends how the players react to it, there were rumours of issues at Bayern and Napoli over the intensity of training sessions (or lack, there of). Others may well embrace it.

I've no issue with players conserving energy. Would much rather a highly efficient squad who know when to press and how to press than simply knowing that he has them slogging their guts out in training. It's of no comfort, not to me, anyway.

From here on, I think it's fair to judge all players, and Carlo, on outputs. If their outputs aren't there, then you can start to question the level of input.

Yeah I mentioned the players ousted him. But the Bayern ownership got rid of him so quickly. One month into the new season after winning the Bundesliga, you would think you get a bit of slack.
I guess when players are moaning they want to train harder it’s a big deal. They went on an amazing run under Heynckes, and looked like their old selves.

I am convinced they would have won a couple of more European Cups had they not replaced him with Guardiola. At the time Pep signed they did not know how good that side was going to be playing the way they did.

Ancelloti is reportedly getting paid £11.5m per annum at Everton.

Twice what he was being paid at Napoli.

There's also zero pressure on him as if he turns it around he's a hero. If he fails, well then how could anyone expect anything else with a team like this?

Status
Not open for further replies.