Can we stop the Mourinho talk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fans hold no sway at United. What the Glasers want is what matters, and I think they'll stick with Louis, in the hope of getting someone better next year. I really dont think they want Mourinho
I read a quote from Bobby Charlton a few years ago - an influential senior figure at Man United - that suggested he would be against Mourinho being the next United manager. After a quick search I found this article in the MEN from this April where it also suggests Sir Alex Ferguson wouldn't be all that keen either.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...-news/man-utd-news-charlton-mourinho-11124143

Manchester United great Sir Bobby Charlton has one important thing in common with Jose Mourinho

Man Utd legend will have the south stand at Old Trafford named after him ahead of the game with Everton on Sunday.

It is a sign of times at Manchester United that when the club announced the south stand would be named in honour of Sir Bobby Charlton, the reaction of many fans was to question what it all meant.

Not that he doesn’t deserve it. He does. In fact, there is no one who deserves it more.

But when the announcement is made on the pitch ahead of kick-off against Everton on Sunday, plenty of the 76,000 supporters won’t be thinking about Munich, the 1966 World Cup, the 1968 European Cup final or the Holy Trinity.

Instead, their minds will be on Jose Mourinho.

It goes back to a December 2012 interview Charlton gave in which he suggested Mourinho wasn’t the right fit as United manager. He was asked about Mourinho, then manager of Real Madrid, poking Barcelona coach Tito Vilanova in the eye during a 2011 Spanish Super Cup tie.

"A United manager wouldn’t do that," Charlton said. "Mourinho is a really good coach but that’s as far as I would go really. He pontificates too much for my liking. He’s a good manager, though."

In the same interview Charlton suggested that while Sir Alex Ferguson was happy to speak glowingly in documentaries about Mourinho’s success, the Scot 'doesn’t like him too much'.

At the time his comments didn’t make too many waves. No one knew then that Ferguson was planning to retire at the end of the season and that Mourinho would soon be leaving the Bernabeu.

But now that interview has come to form the basis of a widely-held belief that Charlton, a director who sits on United’s football board, vetoed the possibility of appointing Mourinho rather than David Moyes in 2013 and somehow stands in the way of the Portuguese coach getting the job this summer – assuming, of course, that United decide to part company with Louis van Gaal a year early.

As former chief executive David Gill has pointed out, that’s not the case.

"The football board on which I sit and Sir Bobby Charlton and Sir Alex Ferguson is much more an ambassadorial board," he said in an interview in January.

"It talks about various football matters but we wouldn’t get into those discussions. Ultimately if the holding company board wishes to discuss those issues with us it will do on an individual basis. I am not involved in those discussions quite rightly, I am a non-executive director That is being led quite rightly by Ed and his team. I am not privy to those conversations."

The gist is that Charlton, or Ferguson, could never stop Woodward and Glazers appointing Mourinho, or anyone else for that matter. They might be asked for their opinion, but any involvement in the decision would stop there.

The perceived friction between Charlton and Mourinho does, though, highlight one problem. Charlton is the face of what United like to think is their identity - an attacking player promoted from the youth team who has had a long, successful association with the club.

And you can understand why a man who started his football career in the 1950s doesn’t like to see manager poke an opposing coach in the eye. Ferguson, even Sir Matt Busby, had their moments but Mourinho is out in front in terms of attracting controversy.

According to the soccer Saturday people we might as well just give up, everyone will leave us and we are not really an attractive proposition apparently

According to the soccer Saturday people we might as well just give up, everyone will leave us and we are not really an attractive proposition apparently
We've seen how Sky's best pundit has fared in the real managerial world. So imagine what catastrophic failures are lurking on the Soccer Saturday stools.

I think I'm okay ignoring them.

forgetting our new Director with cash also total charge of the club etc why not?
If the unt job goes down to their contract snag, we should try for the best he is available!

Every club has cash now, Unless your daft enough to think this new man is going to spunk 100s of millions of his own cash on new players

Status
Not open for further replies.