Can we afford to rest anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rochdaleblue

Player Valuation: £50m
Well it's Xmas week and the fixtures are coming thick and fast. As delighted as I was yesterday with the result, you only had to look at our bench to see how small the squad is. This got me thinking what players in our team can be 'rested' for the sunderland game without weakening the team significantly. I don't think Martinez will want to split jags and distin, also Coleman has no natural cover. Baines could come in for Oviedo, but it is midfield that really worries me with no Gibson and Gerard. I think Barry might get a rest against sunderland with ossie taking his place. But to me there are no natural replacements for piennar, Barkley or miralles, although naismith could probably come in for piennar. I think we have seen the last of jelavic as I think he will moved on in January with heitinga. So that leaves lukaku to carry the burden up front on his own. If we put out our strongest team we will definately beat sunderland, and probably beat Southampton but we won't play the same team in both matches. If we can pick up 7 points from our next 3 games (stoke away will be tough) and don't pick up any other injuries, then we can have a real go for the top 4 in the new year, when hopefully roberto can strengthen the squad and Gerard returns.

Lukaku needs a rest i think. Sunderland at home would be my choice. Fresh legs for southampton days after. We have to be realistic and sensible as these next few games come quick and fast.

I'd also play Osman against sunderland.

Osman in for Barry against Sunderland. We should have enough possession against the Mackems that Barry's greatest strengths won't be such a miss.

Baines needs to be worked back in, and if we're socking them and cruising then I expect he'll sub Lukaku/Barkley relatively early.

I dont want us to rest anyone,i want the strongest team possible every game,though i thought as said lukaku has looked as though he has not being on the pitch a lot in the last 4/5 games

No way! Especially in central midfield. The difference in our play when either one of Barry or McCarthy are missing is considerable. We are asking for trouble if we rest one of them, and we need to add a truly competent reserve for that position in order to cover us for when one or both of them get injured/suspended.

Im guessing we will rotate out 1 or 2 for sudnerland but will want the strongest team possible for Southampton

Anyone know how long Lundstram is on loan at Yoevil for? i see he's been playing pretty well so far, goal and asist in 5 games 2 full games played 3 hes been subbed in, just wondering if bobby is planning on rotating him in the squad a little after his loan spell is over if he keeps producing for them?

Win the game in the first 45 then bring on Jelavic, Naismith and Osman second half.. Should be able to cope with 45 minutes of football without burning out..

If pienaar is out then Oviedo and baines could be our left side(if baines is available again). If Barry was to be rested then Barkley could play deeper with Osman further up. Those changes shouldn't weaken us too much. Mirallas could be an option up front to give lukaku a break with Naismith coming in on the right, but then I think we would start to look a bit weaker.

.....suspect the players wont want to be rested, nothing like a winning streak to put a string in your step.

This really.

This run of fixtures will either show if we're for realz or not. Momentum is here to be gained/continued.

As for rotation and depth, won't be surprised to see Roberto blood more youngsters in, i.e Long, Browning, Hope, Williams and Kennedy. Just a hunch like.

Win the game in the first 45 then bring on Jelavic, Naismith and Osman second half.. Should be able to cope with 45 minutes of football without burning out..

This is probably our best option. Dare I say it if we play our strongest team from the off against Sunderland, and manage a healthy lead bring off the players who have played the most football recently. E.g. Miralles and McCarthy have both had a 'rest' of late, therefore, anyone of jags, distin, Coleman, (replaced by stones) Barry, Piennar (osman) and lukaku (vellios) could be brought off around the hour mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.