2017/18 Callum Connolly

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackyboy

Player Valuation: £35m
Callum Connolly - 2017/18 Player Performance Thread
Thread Sponsor: jackyboy

Please use this thread for all discussion relating to Callum Connolly's 2017/18 match performances.

Feel free to start new threads regarding any new topics of discussion relating to this player - new contracts, player quotes, transfer news etc.

Forum MOTM Awards:

Last edited by a moderator:

He's had a solid preseason. I've been impressed with his consistency and have my fingers crossed that he could provide cover for baines. Tough to say given the competition so far but I'm hopeful.

People laughed at John O'Shea at united but he managed a fair bit of game time covering a number of positions and once he had served his time he got a move to financially reward him. Phil Neville to a lesser extent was similar.

Connolly may be better than them both long term hopefully he is but even if he never fully makes a starter he can be involved in 20/30 games a season covering various positions & then move later in his career to make more
Money.

I think his loan at Wigan helped Koeman decide he was worth a chance ahead of Galloway/Garbutt as left back cover for Baines. He started off with a bang for Wigan, two goals in his first match , MoM awards , looked good as an attacking full back when they played United in the cup , then Wigan got involved in a relegation dog fight and he had to knuckle down defensively. Since then in his games for England U20s and his three appearances in pre season for us he looks like he's now better defensively but less inclined to go forward in attack, though in his last game for us he did look like his attacking appetite has returned. As a result Kyle Walker-Peters got the no 3 position for England and in fairness looked a much better attacking full back than Connolly. He's not an out an out dribbler but shows good positional sense when going forward and showed in his last game that while he's naturally right footed he can make a decent cross with his left foot. It's a difficult one for the lad in that he's not yet good enough to replace Baines, would provide good cover if he did need to come on, but RK is likely to go for a bench that includes Jags and one of either Holgate/Kenny/Martina to cover whoever plays RB . So first team minutes may be difficult for him.
I wouldn't send him out on loan though. While it worked at Wigan, I think a spell training specifically with the first team under RK , ironing out weaknesses , learning PL patterns etc would benefit him. I know the U23s train with the 1st team, but I imagine that it's a step up in respect of practice , moves , positioning etc when potentially you could be playing on Saturday if an injury occurs. Hope he makes the bench regularly.

He's been named in our Europa League squad apparently, despite being out on loan. Does this mean we can recall him if needed? Or just a cock up by the club?

err..dont you have to not name u21's or something?
Yeah. Think you can name upto 25 players plus unlimited youth players under 21 provided they have been with the club for over 2 years. So the likes of Lookman, DCL & Vlasic would have to form part of the 25.

Can only think Everton must have an agreement with Ipswich that Connolly can be recalled if either Baines or Martina get injured.

Yeah. Think you can name upto 25 players plus unlimited youth players under 21 provided they have been with the club for over 2 years. So the likes of Lookman, DCL & Vlasic would have to form part of the 25.

Can only think Everton must have an agreement with Ipswich that Connolly can be recalled if either Baines or Martina get injured.

Players can't be loaned outside of transfer windows now.

Status
Not open for further replies.