BT Sport Films - tonight 9pm - Two Tribes - Merseyside football through the 80's

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having to wait until it gets repeated on BT sports later next week. However, if there's even an attempt to be reasonable and give fair coverage of the Heysel disaster then it will be a 100% improvement over the usual mildly embarrassed whitewash its previously received.

As far as I'm concerned they shouldn't be in existence as a football orgamisation and if it'd have been Everton I'd have turned my back on them the day after it happened. I dont care for the arguments that run "it could have been us". I resent that intensely.

They briefly touch on it but quickly shy away.

Watched it last night and agree mostly with you Dave, though I did think the doco was fair in their representation of our success in the 80's. The "in relation to what they did" could equally be levelled by the RS against us (for example 85/86 and the point was made that we were up there with them in the title race / FA Cup final).

Lawrensen's honest statement that Liverpool FC did sweep Heysel under the carpet was surprising, he went up in my estimation to be fair.
Yes lawrensen surprisingly honest ,
as you say he's gone up in my estimation to.
I was going to give it a miss but curiosity got the better of me.
Although I feel if the tables were turned regarding Heysel, the events of our "embasidorial" behaviour at Rotterdam would've been mentioned.

Just got round to watching it, and didn't really enjoy it.

Only bare mentions of our cup win in 84, and the 87 league win. They showed a bit of our 85 triumph but it still dwarfed the coverage of their 86 win.

That Hansen handball is horrible to watch and it was before my time.

Thought Eddie Singleton had a very weird 'matter of fact' opinion on heysel, and it a bit odd Sheila Coleman hinting at the city being in shame because of it.

The documentary finished with the line that neither club has won the league since the decade, surely they could have went into a bit of detail as to the effect the European ban had.

It did do a fair bit to emphasise what a bad tramp Maggie was so it wasn't all bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.