Brands & Silva press conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many on here were convince Marcel will call the shots and decides everything with regards to transfer. I’m sure they are looking a bit silly now.

Back to the point, it’s no different from Walsh/Koeman relationship. Both must agree for any signings to go ahead.
With the slight exception (hopefully!!) didn't have a foggiest what they were doing. There was no plan or structure to anything they did on the acquisition front.

Thought the Sky question about 'how do you begin to transfer a team around that has the lowest shots on target etc.' was brilliant. It felt like a little kick at BS actually. Was surprised he mentioned it.
Imagine if that question had been aske to Allardyce. He'd have dined out at San Carlo's on that. But Silva's response was classy.

Both of them having to agree on a signing sounds fine in theory, but to me that means Brands must have the veto, and rightly so. Let's not forget that at least potentially, Brands is the guy who can rule on Silva's progress, and whether its good enough for a contract extension down the line, or the sack.

The entire future of the club rests on the dynamic between these two men. I really hope the detail of the roles and who does what has been given to both men in detail, and they are happy with it. It seemed Koeman made his own signings, and Walsh made his, so you could have said they didn't "disagree" in that sense, but this will not work as I see unless Brands is in charge.

Of course it's necessary for them both to discuss signings, but disagreement is inevitable between two human beings, its the structure within which that is handled and who has the final say, that is important.

did walsh EVER face the media? to me it looked like he shy'd away from it all, secretly knowing his was completely out of his depth and wouldn't of wanted to face any awkward questions..

nice to have a fella whi is in complete control and knows what he wants
Was too busy on holiday in Italy.

With the slight exception (hopefully!!) didn't have a foggiest what they were doing. There was no plan or structure to anything they did on the acquisition front.

It is a lot different behind the scenes trust me. Everyone in the club, in the media and agents are clear Brands is the senior partner and Silva the coach. It was completely the opposite with Koeman and Walsh. Obviously Brands will not do what some DoF's do and force signings on a manager (the chump Spurs fired a few years ago springs to mind) but if Silva wants someone that does not fit the template Brands wants to work with (young, upside sell-on value - he is the Dutch Moyes!) it will not happen.

Both of them having to agree on a signing sounds fine in theory, but to me that means Brands must have the veto, and rightly so. Let's not forget that at least potentially, Brands is the guy who can rule on Silva's progress, and whether its good enough for a contract extension down the line, or the sack.

The entire future of the club rests on the dynamic between these two men. I really hope the detail of the roles and who does what has been given to both men in detail, and they are happy with it. It seemed Koeman made his own signings, and Walsh made his, so you could have said they didn't "disagree" in that sense, but this will not work as I see unless Brands is in charge.

Of course it's necessary for them both to discuss signings, but disagreement is inevitable between two human beings, its the structure within which that is handled and who has the final say, that is important.

Good post.

It was a fine interview.

But in all honesty, a year from now we wont care about or remember this interview. We will just remember the play on the field. As for signings I think its Silva and not Brands that has veto power(only because Brands grants it to him). Brands will pick out targets, if Silva doesnt agree he will try and talk Silva into believing in his choice, and Silva then has the veto power to say "I dont think he will work and I wont play him" than Brands will move to another target.

Thought the Sky question about 'how do you begin to transfer a team around that has the lowest shots on target etc.' was brilliant. It felt like a little kick at BS actually. Was surprised he mentioned it.
Another thing. Vinnie O'Connor or whoever it was asked the question, must have taken part in at least 30 press conferences with Sam Allardyce when he was our manager. The topic of lowest shots on target never raised it's head once. Nice one Vinnie you utter cowardly turd.

Last edited:
Hi guys,
I am from Portugal, a big fan of Benfica but also a Everton fan :) dont know why, maybe because of Duncan Ferguson.
About Marco Silva, I am really excited about him managing Everton, I wanted him in Benfica!

Marco was a regular central defender, started his career as a manager on second league, Estoril was the club. He was champion. Next two years in Estoril he got a 5º and 4º, best ever positions for Estoril. Brillant!
Next he went to Benfica rivals, sporting, he won the cup and 3º place and got fired by the shitty president that they have.
In Olympiacos he did the expected, league champion.
Next you know, Hull, maybe a bit unluck with the injuries... and Watford, for me, was a hasty decision from the board.

Now Everton, a bigger club, I am really confident that he will do a great job.
All the players say good things about him.

Sorry about my english.

Thanks fella, nice words. Remember being in awe of Benfica when I was a kid, played some crazy good footie. Lets hope we can aspire to that level of footie or at least capture some of the 60's and 80's feel back at Everton. I think Silva is a great fit and will do well here.

All the best

Toffee Forever

COYB

The biggest part is communication between Manager and Director of Football, I think these two have the makings of a good team.

They know the squad is too big, too expensive and not good enough in places plus Rooney is gone.

They have targets which they have both agreed which Brands said they will choose together which we all know was the crux of the problems we had with Koeman/Walsh.

I think the biggest problems we had last summer was the speed of transfers. It was great to see early signings but we paid over the odds to rush through transfers and in the biggest transfer (Sigurdsson) it was dragged out because we had already paid big money for Keane, Pickford and Klaassen so Swansea had the upper hand in negotiations.

This week I think we will be linked to half of the world and I hope can address key aspects of the team which have holes like Left Back, Centre Back and Forward before we identify a "marquee" signings.

All positive and up Everton!

Status
Not open for further replies.