Boxing

would rather it was crawford, this just says money fight rather than actively seeking to be the best
Ya or maybe a warm up fight before he takes on crawford.personally i wouldn't like to see him take on crawford as his first fight back and if he did id nearly fancy crawford.really impressed with him last few fights.suppose alot depend on what weight they fight at to.
 
canelo will fight ggg when his body is ready for 160.canelo is turning into a bit of a joke now.

By Dan Ambrose: Golden Boy Promotions CEO Oscar De La Hoya said today that his fighter Saul “Canelo” Alvarez is still a 154lb fighter, and that he’s not going to fight unbeaten Gennady “GGG” Golovkin until his body tells him it’s ready to go up to 160lbs to take that fight. This is the same thing De La Hoya has been saying for months now.

The way that De La Hoya was speaking, it doesn’t seem like Canelo will be fighting Golovkin in 2017. There was previously talk that Golden Boy wanted to wait until the fall of 2017 before they matched Canelo against Golovkin, but now it appears that it’s going to depend on when Canelo’s body is ready for him to fight at 160. Just how long that’ll take is unclear.



If Canelo drags it out for a two or three years by fighting at catch-weights from 155 to 158, it’s going to make him a laughing stock in the minds of a lot of boxing fans.

“Canelo knows his body,” De La Hoya said on Wednesday during a conference call to drum up interest in Canelo’s fight next month against WBO junior middleweight champion Liam Smith on September 17 on HBO pay-per-view. “The bottom line is, Canelo is a 154-pound fighter. The fact that he fought at 155, people expect him to go and fight at middleweight. He’s going up to 160 pounds when his body feels ready. People always want to see the very best. He is the star fighter in boxing and people want him to fight the very best and fighting a Golovkin — he’s going to fight him but when he’s ready to go up to 160.”

Canelo, 26, has been fighting at middleweight for the last two years, albeit at a catch-weight of 155lbs. What makes it so confusing is the fact that Canelo’s rehydrated weight is believed to be from 175 to the mid-180s. If that weight is accurate, then it makes little sense for Canelo to be fighting at 154 or at catch-weights.

If he has to dehydrate 20-30 pounds to make weight at 154 or 155, that’s a lot of weight. If Canelo isn’t comfortable fighting at the full weight of 160lbs when he’s rehydrating to the 180s, then just when will he feel comfortable? You would hope that De La Hoya isn’t going to wait until Canelo is weighing in the 190s before he feels comfortable fighting at the full weight of 160, because that’s a lot of water weight to lose the week of a fight.

Canelo is supposedly moving up to the full weight of 160lbs for his next fight in December, but we’ll have to see if that takes place. Perhaps he won’t be fighting at the full weight. The thing is once Canelo does fight at the full weight for the middleweight division at 160, he’s going to be facing tremendous pressure to fight Golovkin from the boxing world.

If Canelo drags it out by choosing to fight at catch-weights at 155 to 158, he could slow up the process and deflect some criticism by saying that he’s still not a full middleweight. It’s just not normal what Canelo is doing by taking his time like this. If you compare Canelo to some of the Mexican greats of the past like Julio Cesar Chavez Jr, we didn’t see this kind of thing from him when he moved up in weight.

Canelo was supposed to fight Golovkin this year when he was the WBC middleweight title holder. Canelo defended his WBC title against Amir Khan last May, and then talked boldly in the ring after the fight. It gave a lot of boxing fans the impression that Canelo would fight Golovkin next. Canelo then surprised everyone by vacating his WBC title.

The excuse for vacating it by Golden Boy was that they weren’t going to be pressured by the World Boxing Council with their artificial deadlines. They wanted more time to negotiate the fight. However, once Canelo gave up his WBC title, there were no negotiations with Golovkin. Not long after that, a fight was signed between Canelo and WBO junior middleweight champion Liam Smith for September 17 at the AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas. Smith is a good fighter, but he’s NOT seen as the best of the junior middleweight champions at this time.

The fans are hoping that Canelo will fight Golovkin in 2017, but after today’s comments from De La Hoya, it remains to be seen if that fight is going to happen.

Golovkin is frustrated at the waiting that he’s having to do for the Canelo fight, and he now thinks that he’s going to be made to wait another three to five years before he’s eventually given the fight.

As for Golovkin, he has a fight scheduled next month against Kell Brook on September 10. After that match, Golovkin could face the likes of Chris Eubank Jr. or possibly Daniel Jacobs in December. If neither of those fights take place, then someone like Gilberto Ramirez is a possibility.


 
Cowardelo been fighting at his own weight division, the WBC should never of sanctioned them as title fights. He obviously won't fight GGG until he's noticeably declined. I hope his fight with Smith bombs in the States
 
#5 WBC lightweight contender Luke Campbell (14-1, 11 KOs) will be fighting former world title challenger Derry Mathews (38-10-2, 20 KOs) on October 15 in a scheduled 12 round bout on the undercard of the cruiserweight match-up between WBO champion Tony Bellew and BJ Flores at the Echo Arena in Liverpool, UK.

It’s a decent fight between fringe level lightweights. Neither of these guys will likely ever win a world title at lightweight unless it’s an ideal situation where they’re facing a vulnerable champion like Anthony Crolla. The winner of the Campbell vs. Mathews fight wont really prove anything though. If you feed either of these guys to Mikey Garcia, it’s going to be a real massacre in my view. Campbell-Mathews is more of a domestic level fight than anything.

Mathews, 32, has a very good chance of beating Campbell if he puts the pressure on him and keeps it on him. Campbell’s chin is suspect, and he doesn’t react well to getting hit at the pro level.



Campbell, 28, turned pro with high expectations after winning a gold medal for Britain in the 2012 Olympics, but he was quickly exposed by Yvan Mendy in losing a 12 round decision to him last year in December. Campbell has since won his last two fights against Gary Sykes and Argenis Mendez. Campnbell was knocked down by Mendez in the 2nd round. He came back to win the fight, but only because Mendez stopped throwing punches after knocking him down.

That performance showed a lot of boxing fans that Campbell doesn’t have world champion talent. Campbell is a great example of how different the amateur level is from the pros. Fighter that do well at the amateur level frequently come up short in the pro ranks, because it’s totally different sport. Campbell would probably still be a very good amateur fighter if he went back to the amateur ranks, as a pro, he’s lacking big time.

“This is exactly the kind of fight I have been looking for, and doing it in his backyard is even more exciting,” said Campbell via ESPN.com. “I feel like I am starting to reach the peak of my professional career and Derry has some great wins on his record. I’m expecting it to be my toughest fight yet. This fight will engage the British public and that’s what I want, to entertain the fans and give them the big domestic title fights that can be made.”

I think Campbell reached his peak in the Olympics. He’s not doing much at the pro level thus far other than beating some vulnerable fighters. Campbell’s recent fight against Mendez showed how vulnerable he is.

Mendez pretty much just stood around most of the fight using the shoulder roll defense made famous by Floyd Mayweather Jr. However, when Mendez did let his hands go in the 2nd, he had Campbell on the canvas and looking ready to be knocked out. You can extrapolate from there to imagine what would happen if Campbell Mikey Garcia, and it wouldn’t be a pretty picture for Campbell.

For Campbell, if he can win this fight, it would be his third win in a row. It wouldn’t prove much other than that he can beat an aging 32-year-old Mathew, who was beaten in his last fight by WBO lightweight champion Terry Flanagan.

Mathews looked decent in losing to Flanagan by a 12 round unanimous decision last March by the scores 115-112, 117-110 and 117-110. Mathews gave Flanagan some problems in that fight, but he clearly lost the fight. Flanagan pulled away in the last four rounds to cement his win.

“I don’t back out of fights, especially in my home city,” Mathews said via ESPN.com. “It’s a great fight for me and one I can’t wait for. I’ll take anyone on, and it’s an opportunity to fight in my home city against a world-class fighter. I think this has come too early for him. When I win this fight it’s going to open doors for bigger and better things.

The lightweight scene is thriving at the moment and there’s plenty of life in this old dog, believe me.

Mathews will make it a fight with Campbell, and I wouldn’t be surprised if he beats him. Campbell doesn’t seem to be made for brawling. He seems to be more cut out for boxing in a slow methodical manner. Campbell is one of those fighters that likes to pot shot from the outside. If you pressure him, he doesn’t look nearly as good.


 
The GGG KO King thing from Sky is a good introduction for anyone who hasn't seen him. Just 10/15 minutes of some of his best KO's. Shame it didn't include the one from The Forum against Dom Wade.

In for a treat on Saturday.
 

Welcome

Join the Everton conversation today.
Fewer ads, full access, completely free.

🛒 Visit Shop

Support Grand Old Team by checking out our latest Everton gear!
Back
Top