Homepage Update: Blues eye young attacker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did anyone else get a sudden urge to watch Rocky III as soon as they read this young lad's name?

Well we have stated our intent to bring in new youngsters so we’ll be linked with loads of good youngsters. Another two who’ve been mentioned recently are George Hirst at Sheffield Wednesday and Tyrese Campbell ( Kevin’s son) over at Stoke. Hirst would be a decent gamble as he’s fallen off the radar this season due to disputes with his club .

How many useless u23 strikers do we need?

Byrne, Henan, Tarashaj, Mathis.. to name but four all of whom will never make it

That's quite a ridiculous comment really. You might as well say what's the point of having an academy as 90% of the lads that go through it don't have a career in professional football.

When you buy these lads you never know what you are going to get. Byrne cost us nothing, as did Mathis. Henen cost us what, £300k?. Tarashaj cost us a bit more but was part of the Swiss squad in the last world cup and has basically been injured for the last 2 years. That's just very unlucky, for both player and club. On the whole, these buys are zero risk, but very few of them ever come off.

In this particular case, I'm a little bit underwhelmed. He's never been recognised at International level (before anybody kicks off I know that some kids do develop later) and his record as a 19 yo in league 2 is not that exceptional. Put it this way, if we had a player excelling at youth level, I'd expect him to go to league 2 and excel there too, like Walsh did at Yoevil. 10 goals in 30 is not excelling. The lad is 20 in September and I'd rather go for somebody a bit younger or more developed at this stage.

The lad George Hirst at Sheffield Wed for example, a regular International throughout the age groups, or Kevin Campbells lad at Stoke, still only 18 but had a few subs appearances for Stoke this season and is second highest scorer in PL2 with 13 in 18.

Well we have stated our intent to bring in new youngsters so we’ll be linked with loads of good youngsters. Another two who’ve been mentioned recently are George Hirst at Sheffield Wednesday and Tyrese Campbell ( Kevin’s son) over at Stoke. Hirst would be a decent gamble as he’s fallen off the radar this season due to disputes with his club .
Ha ha. have you been reading my mind?. I was typing this as you posted yours.
That's quite a ridiculous comment really. You might as well say what's the point of having an academy as 90% of the lads that go through it don't have a career in professional football.

When you buy these lads you never know what you are going to get. Byrne cost us nothing, as did Mathis. Henen cost us what, £300k?. Tarashaj cost us a bit more but was part of the Swiss squad in the last world cup and has basically been injured for the last 2 years. That's just very unlucky, for both player and club. On the whole, these buys are zero risk, but very few of them ever come off.

In this particular case, I'm a little bit underwhelmed. He's never been recognised at International level (before anybody kicks off I know that some kids do develop later) and his record as a 19 yo in league 2 is not that exceptional. Put it this way, if we had a player excelling at youth level, I'd expect him to go to league 2 and excel there too, like Walsh did at Yoevil. 10 goals in 30 is not excelling. The lad is 20 in September and I'd rather go for somebody a bit younger or more developed at this stage.

The lad George Hirst at Sheffield Wed for example, a regular International throughout the age groups, or Kevin Campbells lad at Stoke, still only 18 but had a few subs appearances for Stoke this season and is second highest scorer in PL2 with 13 in 18.

But you love Liam Walsh and he hasn't played for England for years ;)

All depends on how much he'd cost us really.

But you love Liam Walsh and he hasn't played for England for years ;)

All depends on how much he'd cost us really.
Ha ha. I was thinking of you when I added that disclaimer. Didn't expect you to respond within 15 seconds though.:)

I expected the Walsh call but also DCL seeing as you worship the lad so much. I might be mistaken but I don't think he got his first England call until after he joined us.

Ha ha. I was thinking of you when I added that disclaimer. Didn't expect you to respond within 15 seconds though.:)

I expected the Walsh call but also DCL seeing as you worship the lad so much. I might be mistaken but I don't think he got his first England call until after he joined us.

He didn't but you have to take into account his nationality. For the first time in ages we are absolutely stacked with talent in England youth teams so I wouldn't take too much stock in that. Same as say Anthony Gordon not getting a call up yet. Or even Evans whom I think is England level.

Got to think of the players he's got to try and beat for a call up like Niall Ennis, Loader, Keinan Davis, Hudson-Odoi and loads more.

Doesn't mean he's not gonna be a good, cheap purchase.

He didn't but you have to take into account his nationality. For the first time in ages we are absolutely stacked with talent in England youth teams so I wouldn't take too much stock in that. Same as say Anthony Gordon not getting a call up yet. Or even Evans whom I think is England level.

Got to think of the players he's got to try and beat for a call up like Niall Ennis, Loader, Keinan Davis, Hudson-Odoi and loads more.

Doesn't mean he's not gonna be a good, cheap purchase.
We'll see mate. As you know, I don't like writing young players off too early. However, I think the strikers we have at the moment, with the exception of Fraser, are not good enough and need replacing. Realistically, we only have so many places in our squad and I'd rather fill it with players of the quality of Hirst and Campbell.

Status
Not open for further replies.