2019/20 Bill Kenwright

Status
Not open for further replies.
We didn't have a pot to piss in during the 90's either but we never looked as broken and aimless as we have under Kenwright's watch. I started going the match in 93 and we didn't lack ambition then. We where crap and everyone knew it but our crap players where capable of winning a derby every now and then because we weren't Bill Knewight's plucky little Everton yet.
This sums up the whole issue for me. Football has changed beyond all recognition since then, and you are blaming the player when you should be blaming the game.

In 1993 (leaving aside the fact that you were probably too young to actually understand off field matters anyway) it was still a time when teams thought they could have a bad season but still go out and win the league the year after. Every season was seen as like a clean slate, make a couple of good signings and you might go from 15th to 3rd, that was how football used to work. It's not like that now though, it's weighted heavily in favour of certain clubs. There's a cartel now, and we're not in it. Kenwright and Moyes get blamed because people confuse cause and effect. They see that we stopped winning things at a time when they were in charge, and believe it was because of them, when actually it would have happened whoever was in charge (assuming they didn't have enough money to stop it, of course).

The lack of spending money was never the issue. Though I would dispute that what we made from sales always went back into the club.

We didn't have a pot to piss in during the 90's either but we never looked as broken and aimless as we have under Kenwright's watch. I started going the match in 93 and we didn't lack ambition then. We where crap and everyone knew it but our crap players where capable of winning a derby every now and then because we weren't Bill Knewight's plucky little Everton yet. We weren't supposed to just be happy to be there and take part in big occasions.

As chairman he obviously hold some influence on such matter, its delusional to pretend that he has no influence at all. If he doesn't and is totally and utterly irrelevant and about as useful as a broken lightbulb then he's an even worse chiarman then I thought. As long as he continues to have any influence on this club at any level it will remain a terrible act of self harm.

He has overseen nothing but failure during his time here. He's not delivered anything even approaching success at any point.

Some might of done worse in shorter period but they got forced out. Kenwright is the longest drawn out failure ever. Just existing isn't success.

The reality is that Kenwright is a failure full stop who never delivered anything approaching success to this football club and is a negative influence on it.

Seriously? Our most successful manager ever left us because they would not cough up for Dion Dublin. I remember crowds of 13,000 and club shops that looked like a Soviet supermarket.

Of course he will have a say at the club, but what is going on right now is not due to his minority say.

Depends how you define success really doesn't it? Getting to 4th yet messing up in the Champions League, getting to decent positions in Europe and in cups only to blow it due to a manager who was scared to go for it etc.

Nobody is saying he has been a success though, but that doesn't automatically mean he was a failure either. As I have said before he was pretty average for me.

I still don't see why he is the problem currently?

Ultimately none of us know if he actually went for Moyes or not but there's no smoke without fire and several "respected" journalists seemed to confirm it
Is there any such thing as a respected journalist when it comes to Everton? I'm not sure there is, how many called Carlo ? I didnt see any, if they knew what's going on they would of talked about him well in advance.

Reactions: ADT
Peter Johnson tenure yielded 1 FA Cup.
What has Kenwright achieved?

So you will take one FA Cup ahead of crippling the club and trying to run it into oblivion?

That cup win was totally on Royle. Johnson had barely even got there when we won it. A season or two later he was selling our best player without the managers knowledge.

So you will take one FA Cup ahead of crippling the club and trying to run it into oblivion?

That cup win was totally on Royle. Johnson had barely even got there when we won it. A season or two later he was selling our best player without the managers knowledge.
You mean like Kenwright selling our best players?

The club would’ve been relegated but for Moyes working miracles on a shoestring.

You mean like Kenwright selling our best players?

The club would’ve been relegated but for Moyes working miracles on a shoestring.

Well no not at all as you have purposely missed out the bit about selling behind the managers back. The manager needs to know these things.

We got good money for our players leaving, players who wanted to leave the club unlike Ferguson. Generally we drove a hard bargain. I'm assuming you wanted us to keep all those players who wanted out, upsetting the dressing room and go bust because we had players worth loads of money refusing to play etc? Agains its fantasy stuff.

Moyes was allowed to work "miracles" because he was generally able to keep a lot of his better players because we kept giving them wage rises to stay, the ones who left were always leaving as they didn't want to be here.

Moyes was on big big money to manage Everton. Is it possible players transferred out triggered board room and managerial bonuses? Only a thought. Has Kenwright stood down yet and left the money men to stand or fall by their inputs.

Seriously? Our most successful manager ever left us because they would not cough up for Dion Dublin. I remember crowds of 13,000 and club shops that looked like a Soviet supermarket.
Yeah things where grim, I remeber. I also remember that on the pitch we had a really poor team that tried harder then the wasters we have now because it was still considered to be a big deal to play for Everton then. We weren't plucky little Everton Bill Kenwright's train set. We where still Everton Football club going through really bad times.
Of course he will have a say at the club, but what is going on right now is not due to his minority say.
Any say or influence he has over this club is harmful. He's a poisonous influence.
Depends how you define success really doesn't it? Getting to 4th yet messing up in the Champions League, getting to decent positions in Europe and in cups only to blow it due to a manager who was scared to go for it etc.
Surely success isn't hard to define?! I don't think I'm being unreasonable to say that one single good league campaign in twenty odd years and zero trophies is a total and utter failure. Maybe you see it differently and fair play if you do but you'll never convince me to change view on this.
Nobody is saying he has been a success though, but that doesn't automatically mean he was a failure either. As I have said before he was pretty average for me.
Never succeeding in any competition and just existing in mid-table mediocrity is total failure as far as I'm concerned.
I still don't see why he is the problem currently?
As I've already said, I consider him to be a negative influence on the club.

Peter Johnson tenure yielded 1 FA Cup.
What has Kenwright achieved?

I want to win silverware every bit as much as every other Everton fan, but we were within a gnat's testicle of being broke under Johnson. I'd rather keep Everton than win an FA Cup, I guess that's what it means to a fan of 61 years standing.

I have never said that Kenwright was/is the best chairman, all I have ever asked for is some acknowledgment of what he has done, rather than all he hasn't.

What did Kenwright achieve, I guess you have a club to support still, that is not insignificant.

Yeah things where grim, I remeber. I also remember that on the pitch we had a really poor team that tried harder then the wasters we have now because it was still considered to be a big deal to play for Everton then. We weren't plucky little Everton Bill Kenwright's train set. We where still Everton Football club going through really bad times.

Any say or influence he has over this club is harmful. He's a poisonous influence.

Surely success isn't hard to define?! I don't think I'm being unreasonable to say that one single good league campaign in twenty odd years and zero trophies is a total and utter failure. Maybe you see it differently and fair play if you do but you'll never convince me to change view on this.

Never succeeding in any competition and just existing in mid-table mediocrity is total failure as far as I'm concerned.

As I've already said, I consider him to be a negative influence on the club.

Our players not trying is not down to Bill Kenwright though! That's just insane. It was not a big deal to play for Everton back then, that's why we had a rubbish team, who did we sign that was a big name until Johnson started spending money we didn't have?

Success obviously is hard to define. Have Wigan had success? They have won something, how about Birmingham City? Mediocrity and failure can't be the same thing by their very nature!

I am not dancing around celebrating our 7th placed finishes or anything, far from it, I just look at it realistically, before he took over we were looking doomed, bad season after bad season, last day relegation battles etc, in his time we turned out to be pretty much the best of the rest, again this does not fill me with any joy and it bored me rigid to be honest but its not abject failure either.

Nothing wrong with what you consider, its your opinion, I do not agree with it, and again that's fine. I just don't get why he is still getting the crap in 2020, he is a glorified figurehead right now.

Moyes was on big big money to manage Everton. Is it possible players transferred out triggered board room and managerial bonuses? Only a thought. Has Kenwright stood down yet and left the money men to stand or fall by their inputs.

No that's total conspiracy theory stuff and really quite weird to be honest!

The players wanted to leave! Probably sick of being booed every other week.

The "money men" are already standing or falling by their inputs, what the hell would Kenwright standing down change?

It's a bit of an endless debate this.

I do think Kenwright shouldn't have (seemingly) insisted on his continuing presence as Chariman and director in order to sell his holding.

It burdened Moshiri from the off, particularly when it is not a huge jump to assume Kenwright must have also been heavily involved in the decision to appoint DBB as CEO. More of the same, from the same gene pool and no outside appointment to challenge the established and same failed way of doing things. Jobs for the boys.

I felt and feel, that Kenwright's presence perhaps for 12 months in an advisory capacity, whilst allowing Moshiri to put his own management team in, would have been the limit of what was appropriate.

Kenwright plays the media well and in a manner that I find grating whilst we are so mediocre as a football club.

His presence now only contributes to duplication and confusion in decision making and rival camps.

Moshiri has certainly made mistakes but as majority shareholder he should be allowed make his own and not have to accomodate Kenwright any longer.

It was never a takeover that signified that Everton were under new management.

It has looked awkward and half-completed since day one and I also think that people of calibre from industry and commerce who might be inclined to offer us their experience and expertise as directors are inclined not to do so because of the perceived 2nd rate set-up at board level.

Philip Green, Robert Earl, and Keith Harris are the sort of people Kenwright brought in. None with any interest in the club and with the skill-set to improve us.

Then he finds a buyer and insists on staying on for the ride. He is here until the stadium is built as a minimum.

It's a bit of an endless debate this.

I do think Kenwright shouldn't have (seemingly) insisted on his continuing presence as Chariman and director in order to sell his holding.

It burdened Moshiri from the off, particularly when it is not a huge jump to assume Kenwright must have also been heavily involved in the decision to appoint DBB as CEO. More of the same, from the same gene pool and no outside appointment to challenge the established and same failed way of doing things. Jobs for the boys.

I felt and feel, that Kenwright's presence perhaps for 12 months in an advisory capacity, whilst allowing Moshiri to put his own management team in, would have been the limit of what was appropriate.

Kenwright plays the media well and in a manner that I find grating whilst we are so mediocre as a football club.

His presence now only contributes to duplication and confusion in decision making and rival camps.

Moshiri has certainly made mistakes but as majority shareholder he should be allowed make his own and not have to accomodate Kenwright any longer.

It was never a takeover that signified that Everton were under new management.

It has looked awkward and half-completed since day one and I also think that people of calibre from industry and commerce who might be inclined to offer us their experience and expertise as directors are inclined not to do so because of the perceived 2nd rate set-up at board level.

Philip Green, Robert Earl, and Keith Harris are the sort of people Kenwright brought in. None with any interest in the club and with the skill-set to improve us.

Then he finds a buyer and insists on staying on for the ride. He is here until the stadium is built as a minimum.
Moshiri needs to grow a pair and take control, I do think he is merely a caretaker for Usmanov, he clearly has no idea about football, that's why the stench that is Kenwright has been allowed to linger on, its akin to Mansour taking over City and keeping Peter Swailes on board.

Moshiri needs to grow a pair and take control, I do think he is merely a caretaker for Usmanov, he clearly has no idea about football, that's why the stench that is Kenwright has been allowed to linger on, its akin to Mansour taking over City and keeping Peter Swailes on board.

I imagine he cannot do so and is tied into an agreement that maintains Kenwrights presence until a certain timeframe has elapsed and/or the stadium move is completed.

I can't see any circumstances in which an incoming majority shareholder would want to retain the Chairman, and now successive CEO's purely as a matter of their own preference,

Status
Not open for further replies.