Bilic confirming that abusing players effects their game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Abuse and criticism is dished out to people in life, whether they are footballers, participants in other sports or life in general. It's not just something that occurs at L4 4EL. In contrast, footballers who show commitment and play well receive tremendous backing from the crowd. It's hardly a startling revelation about the affect on players. However, the opportunity is there for the 'victims' to respond and prove their worth and ability. Sadly, there will be cases where individuals can't deal, or find it hard to deal, with 'critical' pressure and it will affect their mental health. The mainstream media, TV, radio and newspapers have always made a rich contribution to giving footballers a hard time, now it is exacerbated and magnified by the use of social media by the masses.

Yep.
It only makes players worse

Mate, we’ve added social media to the fray! Players now get their cowardly abuse where ever they go. It also creates many false narratives (as constantly seen here) which perpetuates in to “fact”

It’s very unhealthy and will never make a player better .
They don't have to or need to be on socials.

This isn't a new phenomenon either, in relation to anyone getting called out anyway, all walks of life, whether celebrities or evetyday joe, for a very long time have been dishing out criticism etc if you are willing to take the plaudits when things are good, you have to be able to deal with the tough times too, this is just life.

Yes there are extremes, like the knob jockeys surrounding cars and making threats etc but these are a very tiny minority and don't deserve the air time they get.

As footie fans, we are a passionate animal and the tribal culture of fandom is driven by a collective need for joy in what we follow and conversely despair when it goes wrong, are we in a situation where we are not able to express those any more?

As I said extremes of this behaviour should not be the norm, nor tolerated but it is a small element of society and they ARE called out in it.

Also, the best players take it on the chin and prove people wrong by putting a shift in and getting the crowd back onside

Too many players today have too thin a skin

Yeah, the folks on social media are absolute knobs, but I would say the percentage of people who do that who actually attend games is very small

It’s easy to say what you want behind a keyboard and a vale of anonymity

It’s a different thing entirely when you’re there in person and I would bet the majority of interactions these players have with supporters in person are positive

If I was unhappy with a player’s performance in the ground but then saw them down the supermarket the next day, I’d wish them well and be polite, because they’re off the clock and what’s the point in being rude to them?

Social media and fans accosting players in their cars is a completely different thing from booing a player in the ground if they’re stinking the joint out

To say otherwise is disingenuous

They don't have to or need to be on socials.

This isn't a new phenomenon either, in relation to anyone getting called out anyway, all walks of life, whether celebrities or evetyday joe, for a very long time have been dishing out criticism etc if you are willing to take the plaudits when things are good, you have to be able to deal with the tough times too, this is just life.

Yes there are extremes, like the knob jockeys surrounding cars and making threats etc but these are a very tiny minority and don't deserve the air time they get.

As footie fans, we are a passionate animal and the tribal culture of fandom is driven by a collective need for joy in what we follow and conversely despair when it goes wrong, are we in a situation where we are not able to express those any more?

As I said extremes of this behaviour should not be the norm, nor tolerated but it is a small element of society and they ARE called out in it.
Are they called out? Bilic is calling them out and many in here are saying he’s wrong

I mean, where are they called out?

Also, the best players take it on the chin and prove people wrong by putting a shift in and getting the crowd back onside

Too many players today have too thin a skin

Yeah, the folks on social media are absolute knobs, but I would say the percentage of people who do that who actually attend games is very small

It’s easy to say what you want behind a keyboard and a vale of anonymity

It’s a different thing entirely when you’re there in person and I would bet the majority of interactions these players have with supporters in person are positive

If I was unhappy with a player’s performance in the ground but then saw them down the supermarket the next day, I’d wish them well and be polite, because they’re off the clock and what’s the point in being rude to them?

Social media and fans accosting players in their cars is a completely different thing from booing a player in the ground if they’re stinking the joint out

To say otherwise is disingenuous

Spot on mate.

Have you ever been bood by tens of thousand of people? I doubt it’s that easy to shrug off tbh. Add to that the fact that you’re playing for a poor manager in a poor team.

I often wonder how you’d feel if it was your son, would you still accept it?

I would have a talk with my son or daughter before they started their professional career and let them know that this was something they’d have to be able to deal with if they wanted to do this job, and if they felt it was something they couldn’t handle then they should do something else

That’s just responsible parenting

I would have a talk with my son or daughter before they started their professional career and let them know that this was something they’d have to be able to deal with if they wanted to do this job, and if they felt it was something they couldn’t handle then they should do something else

That’s just responsible parenting
Sorry mate, that’s bollox
These kids play for most of their lives and it’s everything to them

“sorry son, some dinosaur fans will verbally abuse you do you should get an office job”

I think the constant groans at misplaced passes and booing of your own team has an affect for sure. There's loads of opposition players that say they use it to their advantage at goodison.

Status
Not open for further replies.