Biggest Win since the 60s?

The Best League Result against good opponents?

• 1976 QPR (finished 2nd) 0 Everton 4 (Big Bob 2, Bernard, og)

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • 1982 Everton 5 Villa 0 (Heath 2, Sharp 2, King)

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • 1984 Everton 5 Man Utd 0 (Heath, Sharp, Sheedy 2, Stevens)

Votes: 70 50.0%
  • 1985 Sheff Wed 1 Everton 5 (Mountfield, Lineker 2, Steven, Heath)

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • 2006 Everton 3 Liverpool 0 (Cahill, Johnson 2)

Votes: 36 25.7%
  • 2014 Everton 3 Arsenal 0 (Naismith, Lukaku, o.g.)

Votes: 23 16.4%
  • 2015 Everton 3 Man Utd 0 (McCarthy, Stones, Mirallas)

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • 2017 Everton 4 Man City 0 (Lukaku, Mirallas, Davies, Lookman)

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • Something Else

Votes: 9 6.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
And who is to say it is not the most significant win of recent times?

The country is talking about it and the young blokes taking to the big stage like the proverbial ducks to H2o.

On national radio earlier they were talking about how Everton are perfectly capable of stepping up to make this emerging "Super Six" a "Super Seven".

Maybe Holgate, Davies and Lookman are the prefects in our very own "Class of '92".

Victories like yesterday instill belief in the players and the fans.

They make the press sit up and take notice of what is happening at Goodison.

You go right ahead and live in the moment, pal.

I am twice your age, I have seen it all......but by 'eck I am as excited as you are after yesterday ;)

COYBB

Well said!

The bit in bold is important too. I mentioned last week about the perception of our club in the media given how much we have underachieved in the past 22 years. We are constantly belittled and overlooked, and although it pains me to hear it, I can't really argue with their reasons behind it. We rarely throw up a shock result against the bigger/popular sides, we never win away at the top sides, haven't finished in the CL in the PL era etc.

But yesterday we humiliated a top 5 side by a 4 goal margin for the first time since the 80's as far as I am aware. The whole country were watching too and imagine what sort of message that also sends out to the current players. Schneiderlin and Lookman coming in wondering what sort of club we are and we won like that, with Goodison rocking at the end. Lukaku although he may still leave may have changed his mind about the future of the club slightly too.

We shouldn't get too carried away but if we can add a couple more players this window to get us 7th place, we can concentrate on making even more progress next season.

We'll get beat by Palace on Saturday now won't we and it will be back to the same old Everton lol.

Too obvious Dave.

I'll have you a £25 charity bet they don't.
Careful....

51rwMoNy-kL.jpg

Oh yeah, because the club are less toe curling now that we have the new people running things...erm
Like I said, put your money where your mouth is, the only DVD that will feature that game will be the season review.

Which will be titled

Everton season review 16/17
Marked progress

It wasn't hard

It was also significant in that lots of us were starting to realise this team was going to be something special, although not many realised how special.

Wooaah. Special? Don't think any of us were starting to realise this team were anything special the last 2 months! It was a good performance, the kids were the icing on the cake. We're going in the right direction, certainly, but it was 1 match, every team in this League is capable of a performance, finding some form of consistency is the key. We go on about the RS and their eternal optimism, getting carried away with big performances only to lose at Barnsley or wherever. We're just as bad when we put in a good performance.

Like I said, put your money where your mouth is, the only DVD that will feature that game will be the season review.

Which will be titled

Everton season review 16/17
Marked progress

It wasn't hard
Even now the Goodison marketing machine is knocking out "Everton 4 - 0 City - The Day the World Was Rocked".

more mocking of fans by the usual suspect for being on a high after a great win. shameful.
'Playing The Ref'
Attempting to moderate the forum by stating what should, and shouldn't be discussed or attempts to get another user banned by posting things such as "abuse! ban him!" is totally unacceptable, and will not be tolerated on this forum. This is basically the internet equivalent of a footballer waving the imaginary yellow card at a referee, and is completely unhelpful."

https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/forum-rules.11181/

Yesterday was enjoyable for sure but meaningless for the club if it isnt the start of a turn in the right direction. So many games have been more significant than this one in the last 10 years: every match in the cup run of 2009, for a start.

has to be Utd 1984 unbelievable game, remember holding 5 fingers up to the mancs on the bus and then it getting bricked

those were the days.
Probably this. Had been coming for a few months by then and this proved we were the real deal. We went on to become champions and winners in Europe - great though the City result and performance were, I don't think it will be the same sort of watershed moment (any more than say the seven in a row in Martinez's first season).

He did indeed. Martinez put him there to take advantage of a defensively suspect Monreal, and it worked a treat. I remember thinking at the time "Roberto really does have some tactical nous".

How wrong that turned out to be...
Spotting suspect defenders in the opposition team was never his issue. His problem was that he couldn't see them in his own side...!

Status
Not open for further replies.