Big Nev Statue

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluesb1970

Player Valuation: £20m
Just seen a plea on Twitter for a Neville Southall statue to be built at the new stadium. The picture that goes with it is if him kicking the ball. I feel a better option would be one of him making a famous save. Question is which one would you go for? For me it’s the save from Falco. There’s plenty of options so which one would you go for?

20201023_232526.jpg

I started going to games in the early 80s - before we were good. Then suddenly we were winning games, winning cups, winning leagues - it was incredible! And we did it without buying big name players. We had a team, and in 87 a squad that deserved it. Can't tell you how many players I absolutely adore from that era - Reid was just magnificent, Ratcliffe - a captain at that age, was just ridiculous, Stevens, nest right back I'd seen , Steven - oh my word, Bracewell - my favourite player for some time, Mountfield - a centre bAck getting double figures in goals, Gray - drove us on, Sharpy - goals galore, Van den Hauwe - none shall pass, Lineker - what a season for him, Power, hugely underrated and vital to our 87 league win... it goes on and one. But my heart leant towards 2 players. Adrian Heath - can watch his goals all day long, and he always put a shift in whether he was player up front or further back in midfield and he scored goals someone of his size had no right to - diving in to get his head on the ball ahead of 6 foot defenders - magical, Sheedy - really there aren't enough words to say how good he was - so many moments of genius and pure talent, and Nev. Best keeper in the world. End of. Build the statue, but it should include all of that 80's team

Honestly I don’t think he’d like it! Statues to me always seem more like something to commemorate someone who has passed, think he’s a bit too humble for all that.
Absolute legend though no doubt, even though I only got to see the end of his career live he just had an aura of being the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.