Better off not in Europe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
People will disagree with me but I like the Europa but it has caused us problems this season. This squad should be more used to playing two games in a week than at the start of the season anyway. With a good pre-season, we could have had a much better season, easier said than done though.

Whilst you do elude to it, I would argue the cumulative effects are significant. We've taken 86% of available points since our exit. You can argue the opposition, but wins away at QPR and at home to Southampton shouldn't be sniffed at given how frail we've been this season.

In hind-sight Martinez was probably a little naive throwing our strongest available team at the European games from the get-go, we do have a certain amount of depth nowdays.

With Spurs needing just 3 points to make it mathematically certain that we wont be in Europe next year, I just thought I'd like to knock on the head the myth that playing Thursday-Sunday is detrimental. In our 10 games following European matches we had 4 wins, 2 draws, 4 losses, gaining 47% of the available points. That compares with (currently) 41% of points gained over the whole season. Furthermore, in 3 of the 4 losses we were away - to Man U, Spurs and Arsenal - in 2 of which it was following an away leg. Our record following away legs was the same, 47% of available points ... you can draw your own conclusions. Whether playing in Europe in general (whichever competition) is damaging (from the point of view of squad depth, injuries) is another matter. But I have always said, Thursday-Sunday or Wednesday-Saturday - what's the difference?

Chat Conversation End

Not sure it's that simple, but one thing people often forget is that if you can't cope with the extra games that the Europa league brings then, even with the extra cash that it brings, you'll struggle in the Champions League.

Anyway, welcome to GOT mate. Post loads, but maybe stick a carriage return in now and then?

Hey mate, how are things?
7tTfGBT.gif

Anyway, Europe has certainly had an impact on our league standing but not nearly as much as all of our players, manager and coaching staff all forgetting how that game were you kick a ball filled with air on a pitch is played.

Status
Not open for further replies.