Best Away You've Been to

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes it is not just the game that makes a great away. The night we played Oxford in the League cup - Kevin Brock's back pass - I was working and living in London and took the day off work. I went drinking around Paddington and bumped into a few Evertonians. When the pubs closed at 3 we decided to get a carry out for the train to Oxford. Off we went to the nearest offie and stocked up walked into Paddington station, only for a sign saying No Alcohol on the train.

As we were standing in the station wondering what to do a British rail bloke came walking past. One of the lads said 'eh mate how can we get on the train with ale'. The bloke said, 'follow me' and led us to an underground passage that went under the platforms and brought us up by the Oxford train. We were all buzzing that we would get on the train with our ale. But he did say that the coppers would be on the train, which was a bit of a downer. Only to then realise that not one of us had a ticket. Ah well we'll have to bunk it to Oxford.

We got on the train with our ale stuffed everywhere and stood by the toilets. We were merrily drinking and the guard came along so we hopped in the toilets. The smart one amongst us said don't put the engaged sign on as the guard will know someone is in there, so we didn't and after a good few minutes got out and carried on drinking. Always on the lookout for the police who were walking up and down the carriages. Got to Oxford all out of ale and headed for the nearest boozer.

Cracking day and it seemed like there were Evertonians everywhere in the ground. No one knew how relevant that game would be to our success under Howie Kendall.

I cant remember the year, QPR when it was 2-2 late on and Hinchcliffe scored from a free-kick to win it.

In 2nd place, I met Mrs. Brieverton at Elland Road - we lost but it was still great :)

Also in the kop for the Lineker 2-0 win. So many blues in the left side of the kop they were spilling out at the front and had to be moved to the right side! So confident after that game went 8 points clear or something ......... then we out Evertoned ourselves and that season caused me more heartbreak than I have ever experienced as a blue

White Hart Lane 1985....nothing's come close since....

I was in with the Spurs fans as I was living in London at the time and wanted to get away quickly after the game. My brother and his mate came down (both reds) and came to the match. A spurs player called Danny Thomas (I think) did something and one local turned to my brothers mate and asked who it was. Saying Danny Thomas and not sounding like a Scouser is pretty tricky.

Hand it over...

Status
Not open for further replies.