2021/22 Ben Godfrey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seen it again don’t think it was intentional, looking at the way he is moving and the player has fallen. Not sure how he could have changed direction.

I think Benitez needs praising for having the balls to drop Digne.

Owh. I didn't know Digne was dropped. I thought he was unavailable for some legitimate reason.

My worry for Ben Godfrey to be in that position permanently, is that he can easily be in the wrong position and left the opposition winger too much space.
I think there is a lot to learn positional wise. But he isn't good enough at Centre Back role and most of his best performance with us are at Left Back for some reason.

And it seems to me, his speed is returning.

Would like him to do it a RB so we can get a bit more out of him on the ball and when he finds himself in crossing positions. Struggles with his weaker left foot

If we lost Digne, then having Godfrey as the starting RB with Coleman as back up and a new LB would be an interesting approach.

Would like him to do it a RB so we can get a bit more out of him on the ball and when he finds himself in crossing positions. Struggles with his weaker left foot

If we lost Digne, then having Godfrey as the starting RB with Coleman as back up and a new LB would be an interesting approach.
It depends on how we want to play but expecting Godfrey to offer any type of reasonably competent fullback play in possession isn't something I'd do.

For reasons I cannot comprehend, he looks so much better on the left than on the right. My guess is most wide players nowadays like to cut inside and therefore it is easier for him to defend as they run against his stronger side. Isolate him wide on his weaker side and he doesn't do as well.

I thought he was back to his snarly aggressive best last night was good to see, stayed close to Saka and left a couple in on him which is all part of the game for me.

I wonder if he feels more confident playing at full back. Centre back is more of a mentally high pressure position as everything goes through you when you play there and you have to constantly have a picture of the game in your head and anticipate absolutely any danger. Whereas the defensive task is simplified at left back - it's just one on one most of the match.

There's still question marks over his footballing iq for me and maybe I'm being harsh. But right at the end of the game we have the ball right in their corner and win a throw. For some strange reason godfrey stays right up with play despite there still being around 30 seconds to play. We throw it in and richy loses it.

They then counter attack and while Godfrey does show great pace to get in position, he is so tired and flustered by running back so quick that he leaves his man aubamayang unmarked. Luckily for us the arsenal man totally messes up the shot and the whistle blows and all this is forgotten about. Had it gone in then this would have certainly been questioned.

I'm not trying to slate him as he has been improved recently, but this and the (unintentional) stamp are two incidents again that could have cost us the game on a different day.

There's still question marks over his footballing iq for me and maybe I'm being harsh. But right at the end of the game we have the ball right in their corner and win a throw. For some strange reason godfrey stays right up with play despite there still being around 30 seconds to play. We throw it in and richy loses it.

They then counter attack and while Godfrey does show great pace to get in position, he is so tired and flustered by running back so quick that he leaves his man aubamayang unmarked. Luckily for us the arsenal man totally messes up the shot and the whistle blows and all this is forgotten about. Had it gone in then this would have certainly been questioned.

I'm not trying to slate him as he has been improved recently, but this and the (unintentional) stamp are two incidents again that could have cost us the game on a different day.
What relevance is the “stamp” if it was unintentional??

What relevance is the “stamp” if it was unintentional??
It's relevant because it still happened and every neutral I've spoke to or heard from on TV feels it should have been a red card. And if it was seen that way by var then there is no chance we would have won that game. Whether intentional or not it was clumsy at best and we were lucky he stayed on the pitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.