BBC article on young English players in Europe including pithy comment about Everton

Status
Not open for further replies.

I don't think he said what you are alleging. What he says is that if a club like Everton or Fulham come in then it's hard for them to compete. That's probably his experience.

There's probably a little bit to be said about linking us with the likes of Fulham but overall a fair comment. It's an interesting article. The bit that surprises me is that there is little acknowledgement Everton have the youngest team in the PL, but that often gets missed.

Didn't get missed when the bitter reds had the youngest /one of the youngest recently.

Absolutely. The comment was “ Even a club like Fulham or Everton can afford more than Bayern Munich in the youth sector.” It followed a paragraph saying how German clubs can’t compete in terms of wages for young players. Nothing wrong in stating the obvious.

The more interesting aspect for me is that despite their own Academies, German clubs are coming to England in search of the hugely creative players like Sancho , and they were rumoured to be sniffing around our own talented youngster Anthony Gordon. They are not seeking “typically robust English youngsters” to add something to their own clubs, they are seeking those with outstanding individual talents, which begs the question why aren’t they developing them themselves?
They all cast a global net now.

I wonder if there'll be a change in approach to youth-level transfers, following the stiff penalties that have been handed out to a few of the bigger clubs recently.

Hardly seems worth it, when most of the players that they're breaking/bending rules to sign are leaving for a pittance after never playing a first team game.

So we can sign more and better youth prospects than Bayern.

Hmm

No reason for us not to be winning the Premier League and Champions League is there.

So we can sign more and better youth prospects than Bayern.

Hmm

No reason for us not to be winning the Premier League and Champions League is there.
No reason why we or Fulham don't just go and take anyone we fancy from Bayern then is there?

I heard a similar story on Talksport about a month or so ago - I wonder if it's the same person, and it was said more in the sense that Everton and Fulham were clubs who could dictate the odds over European teams if they so wanted, as they had discussed Lookman in the interview - I forget which player Fulham had been discussed about, maybe the likes of a Sessegnon who was on the radar but there was no realistic chance of getting him. The printed word misses a lot of nuance.

Absolutely. The comment was “ Even a club like Fulham or Everton can afford more than Bayern Munich in the youth sector.” It followed a paragraph saying how German clubs can’t compete in terms of wages for young players. Nothing wrong in stating the obvious.

The more interesting aspect for me is that despite their own Academies, German clubs are coming to England in search of the hugely creative players like Sancho , and they were rumoured to be sniffing around our own talented youngster Anthony Gordon. They are not seeking “typically robust English youngsters” to add something to their own clubs, they are seeking those with outstanding individual talents, which begs the question why aren’t they developing them themselves?

I read a recent interview with Michael Zorc (BVB Director of Football) about this and he said English youth development has overtaken Germany now and they're playing catch up. I follow a few twitter feeds that report on who all the best young players are around the world and never see many about young German players apart from Kai Havertz.

Status
Not open for further replies.