Battle of the "Nearly men"

Status
Not open for further replies.
That 78 team was a Peter Shilton away from challenging for the title in my opinion. Because of the way the team tailed off under Lee, I think his previous work is vastly underrated. Koff Moyles.

Great question mate. On balance of those two teams I would narrowly give it to the Moyes team actually.

Lee’s team were genuine contenders for a while in an era when you could put together a team which might flourish quickly. Moyes’ era was tricky because of the challenge of breaking the Sky darlings cartel. But cherry-picking the way you have is intriguing. I think I might look at this again tomorrow and change my mind!!

We also lost 2-3 at home to Sheffield Utd that season, after being 2 up at half time. I think them and Carlisle were both relegated that season. How Everton that is that.
Your right mate. The Sheff Utd game was the final home game of the season. We where all arranging to go to Chelsea at half time which was the final game where we could have won it. The new messiah, David Smallman scored twice I think, one was an absolute worldy. Carlisle went down, can't remember about Sheff Utd though.

Does it? Tell me the last team to have its 3 best players missing for their biggest game in 30 years.
Yakubu: 4 goals all season.

The season before was his only good one.

Saha and Cahill were our biggest goal threats, and they both played.

Yakubu: 4 goals all season.

The season before was his only good one.

Saha and Cahill were our biggest goal threats, and they both played.

If we’d had Jagielka Arteta and Yakubu and Chelsea were without Terry Lampard and Drogba it might have turned out differently.

Your right mate. The Sheff Utd game was the final home game of the season. We where all arranging to go to Chelsea at half time which was the final game where we could have won it. The new messiah, David Smallman scored twice I think, one was an absolute worldy. Carlisle went down, can't remember about Sheff Utd though.
Soz to Sheff Utd who actually finished 6th, just one point behind us. Chelsea and Luton went down with Carlisle.

Status
Not open for further replies.