Baines Explains Why Lukaku Takes Penalties

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one's buying that.

Though I have no problem with Rom taking them. He's proven to be a good penalty taker.

The issue is when Rom's not on the pitch. It's anyone's guess who steps up, and the added pressure of the crowd thinking "where's Baines?" can't help.

“If it goes in, nobody’s bothered are they.” is right bainsey
Is all well and good, but twice this season someone has taken a penalty they shouldn't and missed.

That Mirallas one upset the entire game. The players should know who's taking them.

So it's now:

1, Rom
2, Baines.

not:

1, Rom
2, whoever grabs it first.

If only players would start asking Howard could they take goal kicks

It should be Baines all the time. Mirallas and Barkley and anyone else can take pens when Baines is retired, transferred, loaned out, or physically incapable.

This mess all started with the Mirallas penalty.

I'm not sure who's more at fault - Baines for not saying "I'm the penalty taker, it's mine." or Martinez for not saying "Baines takes the pens around here"

I would love to believe it, but Baines' story doesn't really mesh with the situation at West Brom, because Lukaku was on the pitch and had done the work to earn the penalty himself.

My guess is at that point, Kevin decided to break ranks out of nowhere and take the penalty. After that game the team had a talk, Baines said he's not arsed about taking them and Rom said he would like to.

So I think there's some truth to what Baines says here, but it's not the whole story. Still, it does appear that whatever is going on Baines is putting the club ahead of himself, not just for Rom's sake but in terms of the club's "investment" paying off too. We're lucky to have a player of his quality and his attitude.

No one's buying that.

Though I have no problem with Rom taking them. He's proven to be a good penalty taker.

The issue is when Rom's not on the pitch. It's anyone's guess who steps up, and the added pressure of the crowd thinking "where's Baines?" can't help.
Agree 100%, but if Roms not on the pitch it has to be Baines who steps up and takes the pens.

agree, i’m not convinced either

he’s only been able to convert 5 of the 5 he’s taken

don’t think he’s cut out for this

I have a theory, Rom is a young lad and is on twitter alot. No doubt he's seen the tweets about #KenwrightOUT and he agrees...

He has a goal bonus and every time he scores a pen from now on he'll run towards Blue Bill and give him the fingers, sheedy style!

Eventually Kenwright will be distraught at losing money, have a breakdown and Everton will get a new billionaire chairman. All thanks to Rom.

This mess all started with the Mirallas penalty.

I'm not sure who's more at fault - Baines for not saying "I'm the penalty taker, it's mine." or Martinez for not saying "Baines takes the pens around here"

Martinez did state that Baines was the main man for penalties, but then stated that it was Rom. Makes you wonder who's calling the shots in the dressing room.

'Everton boss Roberto Martinez has said that, for him, Leighton Baines is the number one penalty taker at the club, despite allowing Kevin Mirallas to take the penalty against West Brom this evening.'

or

'Everton boss Roberto Martinez insisted Romelu Lukaku is the only designated penalty taker after his side missed another in the 1-0 win over Burnley.'

Status
Not open for further replies.