Away record

Status
Not open for further replies.

billyblue80

Player Valuation: £70m
Our away record is a disgrace. Our mentality is all wrong. Our set up is wrong. We play with no left back. We have a team full of bottlers and a negative manager looking to secure draws rather than trying to win!

We go in to every away game with the same game plan and have done for years. 1 up front with the same tactics of setting up to try and not lose. Until we have a manager who has a winning mentality going in to these games, that won't change. That doesn't mean a Martinez type who could have the team ahead 2-0, only to go and throw leads away though in the final 10 minutes. We need a manager who can get us to go at teams from the start, but once we get ahead knows how to be 'cautious' and protect the 3 points. Martinez had the first aspect, yet Moyes, Koeman, Unsworth and Allardyce have the protective mentality for a 0-0 draw.

We never seem to go on the front foot and risk going for the 3 points when we have the opportunity. Yesterday, we clearly weren't going to create anything with that system with just 1 up front. So taking off Niasse and throwing on Tosun is not a positive change. It's just more of the same. Why not try bringing Garbutt on after 60 mins, to see if that would help Sigurdsson down the left in an attacking sense? Put Calvert Lewin and Tosun on and take Niasse off. Leave Niasse on with one off those coming on alongside him etc.

It's just so predictable when we go away, and sadly the players don't have it in them to go for a win either.

We don’t play to win away, it’s as simple as that.

I can’t work out if that’s because the team are so mentally weak they are terrified by away days. So we are forced to play to keep the point because management are aware of this, or if we just don’t want it enough.

We don’t play to win away, it’s as simple as that.

I can’t work out if that’s because the team are so mentally weak they are terrified by away days. So we are forced to play to keep the point because management are aware of this, or if we just don’t want it enough.

I've thought for more than a few years that Everton need to look long and hard at the apparent mental frailty of our players.

This isn't new, it goes back well into the David Moyes days and even longer.

I expect the club probably does employ the services of a sports sychologist maybe on a casual basis rather than a full time in-house position but, I'd suggest there needs to be a total re-evaluation of such personnel and some serious upgrades made sooner rather than later.

Far too often in recent years we've gone into games seemingly beaten before the kick-off, this is totally a mental issue and this was made massively worse by managerial statements such as "taking a knife to a gunfight" and being "Glad to get out alive".

Players hear a manager make statements like that and they will naturally retreat into their shell.
Managers and coaches need to be ultra positive and instil a feeling of absolute confidence otherwise, if we don't, then we might as well not bother.

Good tactical planning and physical skills are absolute necessities, but so too, maybe moreso is a positive, winning, never-say-die mental approach.

Right now, we have dreadful tactical planning, a mismatch of physical skills within the squad and nothing like the right mental approach ad attitude.

I thought yesterday was an absolute disgrace.

Players back from a junket in Dubai, and it made no difference whatsoever. They should have been flogged whilst there, the manager too.

This timidity away from home, the absolute zero lack of intent, everything half-arsed and disorganised. I didn't watch it all, it was one of the easiest games to be distracted from.

Granted we are not Barcelona but there simply should not be such a big divergence in attitude and performance between home and away games, against yesterdays opponents, and other teams in the same bracket.

They simply do not go out to win away games, and to do that, and get away with it for as long as they have done, is a massive con.

I stupidly thought Allardyce would relish games like yesterdays as an opportunity to impose ourselves on the opposition and get a result. His presser beforehand about an improvement in our away form was total mush - we have not improved one bit away.

Granted it is not his team but he just seems to be pushing on with the same approach and same excuses.

I think someone at the club has to comment on our away from and the appalling nature of it - it certainly can't do any harm as it can hardly be worse. Yet again, something has to be done. We can't go on like this expecting no more than a token away win or two per year. Shame on all of them.

Even bunk teams like Brighton and Bournemouth show more ambition away from home and get better results. Yesterday the three points were there for the taking at seventy minutes instead we sag back try and protect a 0-0 and then capitulate. Players, manager and club are all to blame, there are deep issues if we can't win away games.

The whole club needs fixing from the very top down, it's a busted flush that stinks of mediocrity. Out motto is redundant, and has been for decades. Until we have someone at the helm with a desire to be successful on the pitch, we'll continue to flounder.

Our away record is a disgrace. Our mentality is all wrong. Our set up is wrong. We play with no left back. We have a team full of bottlers and a negative manager looking to secure draws rather than trying to win!

Our away record has been a disgrace for decades.we haven't won a top flight away game by 4 clear goals since West Ham in 2000. Most big clubs do it at least once a season and the RS about 5 times a season.

Even bunk teams like Brighton and Bournemouth show more ambition away from home and get better results. Yesterday the three points were there for the taking at seventy minutes instead we sag back try and protect a 0-0 and then capitulate. Players, manager and club are all to blame, there are deep issues if we can't win away games.
Huddersfield won 4-1 at Watford, when was the last time we had an away result like that?

Status
Not open for further replies.