Away record against the 'Big Six'

Status
Not open for further replies.

COYB75

Player Valuation: £2.5m
Reading the article in the Echo about our awful away record against the RS, Mancs, and the London trio do any of you feel that we can work at improving on this under Benitez? I hate how negative our football has been since the advent of the Premier League when playing at these grounds. Before City got their mega bucks we were their bogey team but we're now as poor there as we are at the rest. What can we do to improve on this, is it a case of just going for it like some of the smaller teams may well do? I hate effectively writing off the 18 points available every season, and it's not like we have a particularly brilliant home record against them either in the last two decades. In total Premier League games we have -

Won 9 , drawn 13 out of 59 against Man U. (28 out of 177 points)
Won 9, drawn 22 out of 58 against Spurs. (49 out of 174 points)
Won 10, drawn 14 out of 58 against Gunners. (44 out of 174 points)
Won 10, drawn 24 out of 58 against RS (54 out of 174 points)
Won 12, drawn 19 out of 58 against Chelsea. (55 out of 174 points)
Won 18, drawn 9 out of 48 against City. (63 out of 144 points)

If under Benitez we can apply ourselves properly in these games and not roll on our backs for a tummy tickle then I will feel much more confidence in going forward with a manager that many cannot stomach to see in our dugout. It's early days and the Anfield game will be the litmus test for me. We have to go for it against the RS and this has to be a benchmark for all future performances.

Our record in these games has been pretty woeful over the years, but we have now drawn our last 3 at United and won at Spurs and Arsenal. There are some signs of improvement.

But what I'm more concerned about this year is winning far more of our winnable home games. We lost far too many winnable games at home last year. Hopefully with crowds back that doesn't happen - I do think last year was a little bit of a freak year.

Think we also have to take into consideration that since the PL started we have been the poorest team out of all of them lot and been easy picking for them.
Keep hearing things like Man Utd, Arsenal for example have scored more goals and picked up more points against Everton in the PL than any other club.............makes sense as we have not been relegated but not been great so they have played against us more than most apart from the above mentioned.
We can only hope that Benitez can solidify the team and add better players. One thing for sure is he doesn't have an inferiority complex and if funds allow he will soon depart with players to allow more incoming. Not saying he is going to be successful but I am sure he will firm us up and create a team with the ability to start winning at these clubs more regularly than previously. Fingers crossed

Nothing will give Rafael more pleasure then a win at Anfield, he probably hates them like everyone else.

For me winning games we are getting beat in, turning around fixtures, thats one thing I'm looking at more then a result against the big six, and as Tim says above standard winnable home games.

Our record against united though, I'm sure i seen a stat they have taken more Premier League points off us then anyone else, obviously having played us in every PL season has an effect on that

…i think too much is made of how good these teams are. United, for example, haven’t looked great for a while yet you see the mindset of posters on here that we had no chance on Saturday.

I think it’s lots to do with mindset, 3 away draws at United and wins at Anfield, Spurs and Arsenal last season hopefully means we now go to these places with belief.

Nothing will give Rafael more pleasure then a win at Anfield, he probably hates them like everyone else.

For me winning games we are getting beat in, turning around fixtures, thats one thing I'm looking at more then a result against the big six, and as Tim says above standard winnable home games.

Our record against united though, I'm sure i seen a stat they have taken more Premier League points off us then anyone else, obviously having played us in every PL season has an effect on that
You know why they smell bad?

…is it too early for a rum?

…i think too much is made of how good these teams are. United, for example, haven’t looked great for a while yet you see the mindset of posters on here that we had no chance on Saturday.

I think it’s lots to do with mindset, 3 away draws at United and wins at Anfield, Spurs and Arsenal last season hopefully means we now go to these places with belief.
Finally have a good manager will mean we go places with belief.

Not sure he hates them, but he was pushed out the door.

I am beginning to see this man as a professional, who is dedicated to his job, and never lets up to the final whistle- the shot of him at Brighton with minutes left and we were 2-0 up, was very convincing. He was still roaring at the players.

Major change from previous managers.

….I think we won at Anfield, Spurs, Arsenal, West Ham & Leicester last season. We drew at United.

it would be good if you could make the odd post without mentioning your beloved.
.... and also lost at home to Sheffield United, Burnley, Villa and Fulham, but its good to turn a blind eye to such things to suit agendas, just think if we had won just one of them and won the home game against West Ham we would be in Europe now.

It would be good if you could make the odd post without having an agenda against Everton's manager.

Not sure he hates them, but he was pushed out the door.

I am beginning to see this man as a professional, who is dedicated to his job, and never lets up to the final whistle- the shot of him at Brighton with minutes left and we were 2-0 up, was very convincing. He was still roaring at the players.

Major change from previous managers.
Pushing him out the door was disrespectful, but expect nothing less from them

.... and also lost at home to Sheffield United, Burnley, Villa and Fulham, but its good to turn a blind eye to such things to suit agendas, just think if we had won just one of them and won the home game against West Ham we would be in Europe now.

It would be good if you could make the odd post without having an agenda against Everton's manager.
But your doing exactly what your saying eggs is doing.

Your ignore the massive away games we won last season ( which is the whole point of this topic ) and bringing up the home games we lost as some sort of point scoring exercise

But your doing exactly what your saying eggs is doing.

Your ignore the massive away games we won last season ( which is the whole point of this topic ) and bringing up the home games we lost as some sort of point scoring exercise
I didn't if you read my original post, i didn't ignore them at all, eggs is just being silly for the sake of it because he dosent like the credit the current manager deserves.

Status
Not open for further replies.