Average Age

Status
Not open for further replies.

d4kyxx

Player Valuation: £20m
The current top four (two) have the lowest average age in the league

City and United but more recently but Spurs and Liverpool have always mainly targeted younger players. It’s done wonders for Liverpool and Spurs. And after City went stale a couple of years ago, they youthened the side and now look at them

I’ve said Everton need to do this for years and years. The proof is in the table, yet we never learn.

The current squad is ageing as has been for a long while. It’s stale and lacks intensity

The current top four have the lowest average age in the league

City more recently but Spurs and Liverpool have always targeted younger players.

I’ve said Everton need to do this for years and years. The proof is in the table, yet we never learn.

The current squad is ageing as has been for a long while. It’s stale and lacks intensity

You need a good blend of younger players and experienced ones. Kompany and Silva are 32, and Aguero is 29, but they have the likes of Sane, Jesus and Sterling. If they didn't have the older players they wouldn't have won the league in my opinion as the younger players rely on them throughout the season.

The problem with our older players is that their best years are well and truly behind them whereas David Silva for example, even at 32 is still one of the league's best and is keeping up the levels he has for years. Obviously Silva is a step up from anything we have but in relative terms, his performance level has not dropped off like Rooney and Baines etc.

There should be a no over-25 policy, with the exception being we can attract someone of Sanchez' quality.

Pretty much the policy spurs and Liverpool have and it’s working. They’ve more or less ousted Chelsea and Arsenal out of what was the “top four”

Getting the right blend is the key...
We do seem to keep hold of our players too long...
Players can hit their peak 24-26 years of age...
I believe in bringing young players through the system...
We currently have some very promising young players who will flourish if nurtured the right way & prosper from playing with elder more senior players...

The current top four have the lowest average age in the league

City more recently but Spurs and Liverpool have always targeted younger players.

The squad isn't really ageing to be fair. The first team maybe, but the squad has plenty of youth in it. Pickford, Kenny, Holgate, Davies, Baningime, Vlasic, Lookman, DCL, Dowell, Onyekuru could all be first team regulars next season. That's almost an entire team with an average age of about 21.

It's not a novel idea, we've been trying to do it for years - Lukaku, Stones, Barkley, Deulofeu etc were the last lot we had, and we've invested heavily in the current youth set up. The problem is finding players who are both good enough and willing to hang around long enough for us to reap the benefits. DCL is older than Gabriel Jesus for example, but one of them is a regular Brazilian international who is a key player for the Champions, while the other one isn't allowed to be criticised when he misses from 1 yard out because he's only a young lad. Getting the very best young players is not as easy as it sounds, we're taking punts on the likes of Sandro but it's very different to bringing in top class prospects.

..I remember Ray Wilkins talking about the two ‘P’s when it comes to transfer policy. More specifically, ‘proven’ or ‘potential’.

To be fair, the strategy to bring in youngsters at U23 level is proving fruitful with the likes of DCL, Stones, Holgate and Lookman getting game time. I know the club are looking to bring more of that type in. Vlasic, Keane and Pickford are also reasonably young.

Of the current U23s, the likes of Lewis Gibson, Denis Adeniran and Josh Bowler have come in at a cost. Gibson was skipper of the team last night despite being only 17.

I suppose the issue might not be the strategy, it’s these lads getting game time. The plight we have been in can’t have helped but I see no reason why Vlasic in particular hasn’t had a run of games recently.

You don't win owt with kids.

Oh wait .....

Stupid Alan Hansen. If he were right, every schoolboy match would be a draw. :Blink:

Status
Not open for further replies.