Attacking positions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michaelcoyb

Transfer Window Time Keeper
In our typical system, we have 4 attacking positions. LM, RM, CAM, ST.

This window has seen us sign 3 more attacking players in Deulofeu, Lennon and Rodriguez.

As well as potentially Cleverley, who can play in some of those positions.

This complements the players we already have who can play there: Lukaku, Kone, Mirallas, Barkley, Naismith, McGeady, Kone, Pienaar and Osman.

In your opinion, when fully fit, who should start in those positions and why?

I don't want to see just formations!

This is a current and pressing issue I feel, as we have started none of our league games this season with any wingers. Additionally, we seem to have huge depth in these positions.

I'm requesting serious answers and not fantasy footballers!

I dedicate this thread to @chicoazul because they are his favourite.

if you've ever seen us play you'd know that LB and RB are attacking positions in our formation.
The other 4 positions left over just cover defensively and fill the gaps

I don't expect there to be a huge difference in how we play in the next match to how we played in the last one.

if you've ever seen us play you'd know that LB and RB are attacking positions in our formation.
The other 4 positions left over just cover defensively and fill the gaps

I don't expect there to be a huge difference in how we play in the next match to how we played in the last one.

This doesn't make sense to me. Who do you think will play in the front four positions then?

ST: Lukaku
Who else could it really be? Easily the best striker we have. Despite having some of the most horrific technical skills I've seen, like hold up play, passing and his first touch, he scores goals.

CAM: Barkley
Not sure we have a player perfect for this role. I would prefer playing Barkley further back in midfield, but I think he's the best option here. Cleverley could play here but I haven't seen enough from him yet.

RM: Mirallas
Not consistent, but the best winger we have on his day.

LM: Lennon
This one's tougher. Feel like it's been so long since we have seen Pienaar fit. Though he's one of the most creative players we have mentally, last time saw him play to any great extent (2013-14?) he didn't seem to have the ability pull off some of the things it seemed he was trying to attempt. Deulofeu could start here but I see him more as an impact sub to run at the defenders once they've been tired out. Therefore, think Lennon would provide a little more consistency to the position and also some defending abilities.

Rom obviously. Barkley is playing well, he's in. Gerard or Kev has to start every match (preferably both for a fair share of matches) and when they both don't then Lennon.

Who else could it really be? Easily the best striker we have. Despite having some of the most horrific technical skills I've seen, like hold up play, passing and his first touch, he scores goals.

Not sure we have a player perfect for this role. I would prefer playing Barkley further back in midfield, but I think he's the best option here. Cleverley could play here but I haven't seen enough from him yet.

This one's tougher. Feel like it's been so long since we have seen Pienaar fit. Though he's one of the most creative players we have mentally, last time saw him play to any great extent (2013-14?) he didn't seem to have the ability pull off some of the things it seemed he was trying to attempt. Deulofeu could start here but I see him more as an impact sub to run at the defenders once they've been tired out. Therefore, think Lennon would provide a little more consistency to the position and also some defending abilities.

I think I would swap Mirallas and Lennon. Mirallas is good at cutting in from the left, and Lennon had a good partnership with coleman last season.

ST
Lukaku, Kone, Rodriguez.

CAM/CF
Barkley, Cleverley, Naismith.

RM
Mirallas, Deulofeu, Lennon, McGeady.

LM
Pienaar

CM
Barry, McCarthy, Besic, Gibson, Osman.

RB
Coleman, Hibbert.

LB
Baines, Oviedo, Garbutt, Galloway.

CB
Jagielka, Stones, Funes Mori, Browning.

GK
Howard, Robles.

So that's a right sided or central player needing to play on the left. No depth up front or at right back. No natural playmakers in the "10" position. Still poor in goal.

Lukaku having the most horrific passing and hold up play you've seen? Mirallas right and Lennon left? What

ST
Lukaku, Kone, Naismith, Rodriguez, McAleny

CAM
Osman, Pienaar

RM
Deulofeu, Lennon

LM
Mirallas, McGeady

CM
Barkley, Cleverley, McCarthy

DM
Barry, Besic, Gibson

RB
Coleman, Browning

LB
Baines, Oviedo

CB
Jagielka, Stones, Funes Mori, Galloway

GK
Howard, Robles.

So that's a right sided or central player needing to play on the left. No depth up front or at right back. No natural playmakers in the "10" position. Still poor in goal.

Updated.. Guessing...

- 35yr old Pienaar should never play wide again.
- Hibbert will never play first team again.
- Rodriguez and McAleny? Will be lucky to see game time. Looks Like RM runs a 25 man squad.
- Garbutt, Ledson and Dowell should be there next yr.
- Gaps are there for all to see

Updated.. Guessing...

- 35yr old Pienaar should never play wide again.
- Hibbert will never play first team again.
- Rodriguez and McAleny? Will be lucky to see game time. Looks Like RM runs a 25 man squad.
- Garbutt, Ledson and Dowell should be there next yr.
- Gaps are there for all to see

Possibly Kenny as well mate, think he's been getting a lot of minutes down at Wigan

Status
Not open for further replies.