Match Thread Aston Villa vs Everton - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll...

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
In the cold light of day, with results around us this was more of a frustrating result than catastrophic - it leaves us on the same points as Chelsea and United which isn’t bad, but I can’t help but feel Palace and Villa were real missed opportunities for us
Yeah it's been a weird weekend in the Prem. United and Spurs losing at home to Palace and Toon respectively is a bit nuts but confirms even more that outside of City and the reds the rest of the league are capable of some really up-and-down form. Even Wolves needed a 97th minute pen to draw level with Burnley at home.

The season is still very new though, so things tend to level out accordingly over time and obviously everyone has the capacity to improve, us included.

Put simply we missed Gana in that game. If he had played wee would not have lost. Iwobi looks a player and Kean looks a handful. Time to try some things midweek. Keep the defense stable but experiment with Davies, Iwobi and Kean.

Im thinking that we are in desperate need of a right winger...
Richarlison is naturally a left winger, with ability to cross and get inside the box on his right foot, he should really play there..
And Iwobi as a central attacking midfielder, Bernard and Siggy as a subs.

I watched the 'Villa' highlights for free this morning as Everton's extended highlights are still behind an effective paywall. (Why are we trying to monetize highlights but failing to market everything else) Anyway the 'Villa Version' still showed us creating lots of chances but clearly their will to win was much greater than ours. Looked like Schniederlin was anonymous and Gomes was completely overun. Cannot understand the subs.... when chasing a game bring off the goalscorers and leave the non-scorers on the pitch.

We were pretty dire with our passing until around 70th minute - but had clear chances to at least get a draw.

It was horrible and frustrating to watch, not least because my brother in law who is a spurs fan watched it with me, chuckling away all through.

Though come Sunday, his chuckling ceased after the Newcastle result!!

It was our chance to make a statement that we are turning our fortunes around and take first place (even if only for day). The pressure was on and we choked it away. It’s not the end of the world really, but I don’t want us to be the perrinial bottlers anymore. The mic is yours Marco. Make these next three games count

Villa played the game as if they were the away team, and we played right into their hands

The strategy they employed is what we should have done

Sit back, make them come to us, catch them with a goal in the first half, kill the game in the second and then catch them on the counter to polish them off
It's like this against all bottom half teams regardless if whether it's away or not.

We're frustratingily easy to play against for cagey teams - they just allow us to faff around in their half for a bit until they find an opening to turn the posession over and launch a counter attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.