Homepage Article Assessing the wider significance of Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.

catcherintherye

Player Valuation: £80m
The imminent appointment of Carlo Ancelotti to the managerial position at Everton marks arguably the most striking and significant moment of an eventful 4 years under owner Farhad Moshiri. He would be Evertons 4th manager appointed by Moshiri and by some distance the most eye catching and successful.

moshiri-1024x442.jpg

Early into his tenure on the appointment of his first full time manager Ronald Koeman, a leading board member had stated that they wanted a “Hollywood name” on the sidelines and felt that had achieved this with Koeman. In many ways Koeman himself was a Hollywood name but much of the glamour associated with him was deriven from his decorated playing days as opposed to his more modest managerial career. There were clear warning signs with Koeman and that sense of unease only grew as his tenure at the club went on...

Continue reading...

Really good article. Disagree about Kovac and Bayern. They did dramatically reverse their Ancelotti slide under Jupp Heynkes, who in my opinion is an absolutely fantastic football manager. Supposedly tried and tried to get Heynkes to stay on, but he decided he wanted to retire (and quite right too after Bayern screwed him over after he won an historic treble to make way for Pep). I think that is the primary reason they ended up with Kovac - the candidates they would have wanted were not available, so they turned to him.

I just mention this, as it seems as though it was a conscious cultural shift from Bayern, but I don't believe that is really the case.

Good summary.
If he works hard with the players on the training pitch
If he can attract genuine class into the squad, starting with the spine of the team
If he can match the tactics to the qualities of the squad
If he can get the players to fight and instill a winning mentality over time
Then he's undoubtedly the man we need.

I do worry we are trying to go from 0-100 too fast
But my real concern is the possible loss of soul and spirit.

There is a power that this club possesses.
Its a power as unique as Liverpool voting against the grain in the general election.
As unique as Big Dunc.

This power doesn't exist in the Sky 6.
I'd hate to see Everton portrayed the way City is.
I'm sure City supporters wouldn't say they sold out, but the point is, they've let themselves be perceived like that anyway.
While they might say they don't care what others think, the club has definitely lost something along the way, spending billions tends to do that.

If the club just goes about trying to buy a title it loses everything its gone through.
In my opinion there's a title not too far down the road either way - there's power in this club, it just need to be channeled the right way.
I really hope Ancelotti is a man who comes to sees this, who respects it and knows what to do with it.

Good summary.
If he works hard with the players on the training pitch
If he can attract genuine class into the squad, starting with the spine of the team
If he can match the tactics to the qualities of the squad
If he can get the players to fight and instill a winning mentality over time
Then he's undoubtedly the man we need.

I do worry we are trying to go from 0-100 too fast

There is a power that this club possesses.
Its a power as unique as Liverpool voting against the grain in the general election.
As unique as Big Dunc.

This power doesn't exist in the Sky 6.
I'd hate to see Everton portrayed the way City is.
I'm sure City supporters wouldn't say they sold out, but the point is, they've let themselves be perceived like that anyway.
While they might say they don't care what others think, the club has definitely lost something along the way, spending billions tends to do that.

If the club just goes about trying to buy a title it loses everything its gone through.
In my opinion there's a title not too far down the road either way - there's power in this club, it just need to be channeled the right way.
I really hope Ancelotti is a man who comes to sees this, who respects it and knows what to do with it.
Yeah, people always think about what they will gain by having a billionaire owner. Nobody every stops to think about what you end up losing!

Totally agree with you here, but who 'owns' that soul & spirit? Who are the custodians of it?

Lets take it for granted that those fans who stick with the club, especially after the last decade or two...or three...are maintaining it for now. And lets also assume that people like Dunc are those within the club that hold onto it as well. It would also include the likes of Bill as well.

Honestly, I think Bill is out of his depth now, but I doubt one could question where his heart is. The fact that he's still around, Dunc will maintain his role, etc, that bodes well for the spirit. We'll still be a part of the fabric as well, but we can't control when the Journeymen come & go. As long as the club remembers who was here now, before it ramps up to 11, and they don't price us out, then we'll be fine.

Remember, there's still a core of City or red fans that are true. We've all got a Red sheep in the family....;)

Totally agree with you here, but who 'owns' that soul & spirit? Who are the custodians of it?

Lets take it for granted that those fans who stick with the club, especially after the last decade or two...or three...are maintaining it for now. And lets also assume that people like Dunc are those within the club that hold onto it as well. It would also include the likes of Bill as well.

Honestly, I think Bill is out of his depth now, but I doubt one could question where his heart is. The fact that he's still around, Dunc will maintain his role, etc, that bodes well for the spirit. We'll still be a part of the fabric as well, but we can't control when the Journeymen come & go. As long as the club remembers who was here now, before it ramps up to 11, and they don't price us out, then we'll be fine.

Remember, there's still a core of City or red fans that are true. We've all got a Red sheep in the family....;)
City have still not attracted the football tourists really.

Excellent read. Every appointment is a risk, but Ancelotti has the CV to warrant the job. My only worry is, if he can’t take the club forward, who can?

True. I generally gauge the tourists by the shirts I see here across this side of the planet, and you don't see them as much as the others. In context, seeing an Everton top makes me stop the car!

One of my best mates back home is a city season ticket holder. He's been going since he was 5 so the mid 80s with his ma who's been going since she was 10 in the early 60s. I put this to them once that they had bought the title and does it not feel a bit weird winning it off the back of a lottery win and they basically laughed in my face and told about watching them play Gillingham in the third tier and wondering if your car would be in one piece when you walked back through Moss Side for it in the 80s.

Not

Even

Arsed

Any success we have in the future, we've more than paid for.

Obviously It's no good if Moshiri Under Capitalises
It'll be bad if He Over Capitalises...even if they buy decent players.
It'll be Sunderland here we come if he Over Capitalises for dummies

There's a very narrow Goldilocks Window and some luck required to get this right, because the debt is piling up.
Its hidden at the moment in interest free loans and such...but it won't go away with Moshiri if and when he goes.
When the music stops...if it ever does...it will all end up where all chickens finally come to roost.

Debt carried over when Moshiri took over?
Whats our net spend up to now?
How much will Ancelotti be given?
Stadium costs?

I can't get all that under £1.3 B

Best get it right this time Mosh

Nobody wants to address the elephant in the room! Where's all the money coming from? As the debt increases FFP rules will come into play. We may be one of the top clubs for spending but commercially we are one of the worst. It's a boring topic I know. Tears formed just now as he has been officially announced but I do wonder if Moshiri left in the next few years what would happen with all the debt?

Status
Not open for further replies.